Influences of fly ash and coir fiber on strength properties of soft soil
- 1Civil Engineering Department, VSSUT, Burla, Odisha, India
- 2Civil Engineering Department, VSSUT, Burla, Odisha, India
- 3Civil Engineering Department, VSSUT, Burla, Odisha, India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 6, Issue (10), Pages 1-9, November,26 (2017)
Civil Engineers are in search of new competitive material, which can be suitable and effectively used to face many challenges that have cropped up with time in the world. The fly ash is one of the waste materials of thermal power stations, a Coir Fiber (CF) is an abundantly available waste material in coastal India. This paper presents the influence of the inclusion of fly ash and coir fiber on strength properties of soft soil. The review is performed on clayey sand(SC), admixed with class C fly ash and reinforced with coir fibers of aspect ratio(l/d=40) and it is exhibited that discrete as well as randomly distributed coir fibers are instrumental in enhancing the bearing capacity of soil. The soil considered here contains varying percentage of fly ash (range from 5- 20% by weight of soil) and the Coir fibers are added at 3% and 5% for investigation of the relative strength gain in terms of unconfined compression and CBR. Using standard Proctor’s maximum density of fly ash and coir fiber, soil was compacted. The present investigation is to evaluate the maximum dry density (MDD), unconfined compressive strength (UCS) and California Bearing Ratio (CBR) of soil utilizing varying percentage of fly ash and coir fiber mixtures. The test outcomes explain that the inclusion of fly ash and coir fibers in soil increases UCS, CBR value and furthermore increase the MDD of soil. The result showed that the optimum percentage of fly ash and coir fiber for achieving maximum strength is 10% fly ash inclusion with 5% coir fiber of the weight of oven-dried soil.
- Puppala A., Hoyos L., Viyanant C. and Musenda C. (2001)., Fiber and fly ash stabilization methods to treat soft expansive soils., Soft Ground Technology, 136-145.
- Mir A.B. and Pandian S.N. (2003)., Permeability behavior of soil – fly ash mixes., Proc. of IGC-2003, Roorkee, 447-450.
- Manjesh L., Ramesh N.H., Kumar M. and Sivapullaiah P.V. (2003)., CBR values of soil-flyash mixture for road construction., In Proc. Indian Geotechnical Conf., Roorkee, India, December, Indian Geotechnical Society, 1, 451-454.
- Kaushik P.N., Sharma K.J. and Prasad D.C. (2003)., Effect of fly ash and lime- fly ash on characteristics of expansive soils., Proc. of IGC2003, Roorkee, 459-462.
- Prabakara J., Dendorkarb N. and Morchhalec R.K. (2004)., Influence of fly ash on strength behavior of typical soils. Construction and Building Materials., 18(4), 263-267.
- Mir A.B. and Pandian S.N. (2004)., Effect of fly ash on the unconfined compressive strength of soil., Proc. of IGC-2003, Roorkee, 137-140.
- Kolias S., Kasselouri-Rigopoulou V. and Karahalios A. (2005)., Stabilisation of clayey soils with high calcium fly ash and cement., Cement and Concrete Composites, 27(2), 301-313.
- Parsons R.L. and Kneebone E. (2005)., Field performance of fly ash stabilized subgrades., Ground Improvement, 9(1), 33-38.
- Edil T.B., Acosta H.A. and Benson C.H. (2006)., Stabilizing soft fine-grained soils with fly ash., Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 18(2), 283-294.
- Kumar A., Walia B.S. and Bajaj A. (2007)., Influence of fly ash, lime, and polyester fibers on compaction and strength properties of expansive soil., Journal of materials in Civil Engineering, 19(3), 242-248.
- Shao L., Liu S., Du Y., Jing F. and Fang L. (2008)., Experimental study on the stabilization of organic clay with fly ash and cement mixed method., In Geo Congress 2008: Characterization, Monitoring, and Modeling of Geo Systems, 20-27.
- Gajendra V. and Kumar N.D. (2008)., Comparative Study on Soft Soil Stabilisation of Pavement Subgrade by using Fly ash, Lime and Geogrid., IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, e-ISSN: 2278-1684, p-ISSN: 2320-334X, PP 70-78, Nov 2008
- Ramesh A. and Kumar M. (2009)., An experimental investigation on coir fiber and fly ash in stabilized mechanistic pavements., In Proc. Indian Geotech. Conf, 1, 201-204.
- Olugbenga O.A., Opeyemi S.O. and Olakanmi I.S. (2011)., Potentials of Coconut Shell and Husk Ash on the Geotechnical Properties of Lateritic Soil for Road Works., International Journal of Engineering and Technology, 3(2), 87-94.
- Raji A.K., Karthika R., Amruthalekshmi G.R., Peter A.K. and Sajeer M.M. (2011)., Study of rut behaviour of coir reinforced black cotton soil using wheel tracking apparatus., In Proceedings of Indian geotechnical conference, 573-576.
- Hassan W. (2012)., Strength characteristic of soft soli reinforced with coir fiber., University of Malaysia Phang, conference paper December 2012.
- Pradhan (2012)., Effect of Random Inclusion of Polypropylene Fibers on Strength Characteristics of Cohesive Soil., Geotech Geol Eng, 30, 15-25.
- Lin B., Cerato A.B., Madden A.S. and Elwood Madden M.E. (2013)., Effect of Fly Ash on the Behavior of Expansive Soils: Microscopic Analysis., Environmental and Engineering Geoscience, 19(1), 85-94.
- Chaple P.M. and Dhatrak A.I. (2013)., Performance of Coir fiber Reinforced Clayey Soil., International Journal of Engineering and Science (IJES), 2(4), 54-64.
- Singh H.P. and Bagra M. (2013)., Strength and stiffness response of Itanagar soil reinforced with jute fiber., International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 2(9), 4358-4367.
- Tiwari A. and Mahiyar H.K. (2014)., Experimental Study on Stabilization of Black Cotton Soil by Fly Ash, Coconut Coir Fiber and Crushed Glass., International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering, 4(11), 330-333.
- Mittal S. and Singh R.R. (2014)., Improvement of local subgrade soil for road construction by the use of coconut coir fiber., International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, 3(5).
- Prasad C.R. and Sharma R.K. (2014). IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, 36-40., undefined, undefined
- Pal K.S. and Ghosh A. (2015)., Volume Change Behavior of Fly Ash–Montmorillonite Clay Mixtures., Journal of Geomechanics, 14(1), 59-68.
- Jayasree P.K., Balan K., Peter L. and Nisha K.K. (2014)., Volume change behavior of expansive soil stabilized with coir waste., Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 27(6), 04014195.
- Oluremi J.R., Adedokun S.I. and Osuolale O.M. (2012)., Stabilization of Poor Lateritic Soils with Coconut Husk Ash., International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology (IJERT), 1(8), ISSN: 2278-0181.