Hybrid Electric Discharge Machining Processes: A Review
- 1University Institute of Engineering Technology, Rohtak, Haryana, India
- 2University Institute of Engineering Technology, Rohtak, Haryana, India
- 3University Institute of Engineering Technology, Rohtak, Haryana, India
- 4University Institute of Engineering Technology, Rohtak, Haryana, India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 5, Issue (8), Pages 14-21, August,26 (2016)
The hybrid EDM process is a very important method which is used to add value to traditional EDM process. It has been effectively used for the machining of the complex shape work piece which is not easy to machine under silple EDM process. The basic principle of working hybrid-machining processes is to combine the advantages of different advanced machining processes to avoid or reduce the adverse effects of the constituent processes. Advanced Machining processes have been divided according to the energy used for the machining of the work materials i.e. Mechanical, Thermal and Chemical. The Ultrasonic machining(USM), Water jet machining(WJM), and Abrasive jet machining (AJM) come under mechanical, Electrical discharge machining(EDM), Electron beam machining(EBM), Laser beam machining(LBM) under thermal, and Chemical machining(CHM), Photo chemical machining(PCM) under chemical energy . In EDM process electric energy is converted into thermal energy for material removal action by melting and evaporation.
- Kulkarni A.V. (2007)., Electrochemical Discharge Machining Process., Defense Science Journal, 57(5), 765-770.
- Kulkarni A., Sharan R. and Lal G. K. (2002)., An experimental study of discharge mechanism in electrochemical discharge machining., International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 42, 121-127.
- Cheng C. P., Wu K. L., Mai C. C., Yang C. K., Hsu Y. S. and Yan B. H. (2010)., Study of gas film quality in ECDM., International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 50(8), 689-697.
- Yang C. T., Song S. L., Yan B. H. and Huang F. Y. (2006)., Improving machining performance of wire electrochemical discharge machining by adding SiC abrasive to electrolyte., International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 46, 2044-2050.
- Bhattacharyya B., Doloi B.N. and Sorkhel S.K. (1999)., Experimental investigations into electrochemical discharge machining (ECDM) of non-conductive ceramic materials., Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 95, 145-154.
- Basak I. and Ghosh A. (1992)., Mechanism of material removal in electrochemical discharge machining: a theoretic model and experimental verification., Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 71, 350-359.
- Basak I. and Ghosh A. (1997)., Mechanism of metal removal in electrochemical discharge machining: A theoretical model and experiment verification., Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 71, 350-359.
- Peng W. Y. and Liao Y. S. (2004)., Study of electrochemical discharge machining technology for slicing non-conductive brittle materials., Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 149, 363-369.
- Jawalkar C. S., Sharma A. K. and Kumar P. (2012)., Micromachining with ECDM: Research Potentials and Experimental Investigations., World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 6, 1153-1158.
- Erden A. and Bilgin S. (1980)., Role of impurities in electric discharge machining., Proceeding of 21st International Machine Tool Design and Research Conference, 345-350.
- Jeswani M. L. (1981)., Effects of the addition of graphite powder to kerosene used as the dielectric fluid in electrical discharge machining., Journal of Wear, 70, 133-139.
- Mohri N., Saito N. and Higash M. (1991)., A new process of finish machining on free surface by EDM methods., Annuals of the, 40(1), 207-210.
- Kobayashi K., Magara T., Ozaki Y. and Yatomi T. (1992)., The present and future Developments of electrical discharge machining., Proceeding of 2nd International Conference on Die and Mould Technology, Singapore, 35-47.
- Okada A., Uno Y. and Hirao K. (2000)., Formation of hard layer by EDM with carbon powder mixed fluid using titanium electrode., Proceedings of the International Conference on Progress of Machining Technology, 464-469.
- Klocke F., Lung D., Antonoglou G. and Thomaidis D. (2004)., The effects of powder suspended dielectrics on the thermal influenced zone by electrodischarge machining with small discharge energies., 14th Int. Symp. On Electro-machining (ISEM XIV), Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 149, 191-197.
- Ming Q.Y. and He L.Y. (1995)., Powder-suspension dielectric fluid for EDM., Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 52(1), 44-54.
- Sharma S., Kumar A., Beri N. and Kumar D. (2010)., Effect of aluminium powder addition in dielectric during electric discharge machining of hastelloy on machining performance using Reverse polarity., International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology, 1(3), 13-24.
- Singh P., Kumar A., Beri N. and Kumar V. (2010)., Some experimental investigation on aluminum powder mixed EDM on machining performance of hastelloy steel., International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology, 11(2), 28-45.
- Tzeng Y. F. and Lee C. Y. (2001)., Effects of powder characteristics on electro-discharge machining efficiency., International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 17(8), 586-92.
- Goyal S. and Singh R. K. (2014)., Parametric Study of Powder Mixed EDM and Optimization of MRR and Surface Roughness., International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology, 3(1), 56-62.
- Singh S. and Bhardwaj A. (2011)., Review to EDM by Using Water and Powder-Mixed Dielectric Fluid., Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering, 10(2), 199-230.
- Lin Y. C., Chen Y. F., Wang A. and Sei, W. (2012)., Machining performance on hybrid process of abrasive jet machining and electrical discharge machining., Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc. China, 22, s775-s780.
- Menzies I. and Koshy P. (2008)., Assessment of abrasion-assisted material removal in wire EDM., CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 57, 195-198.
- Cao M., Wang Y., Yang S. and Li W. (2009)., Experimental and mechanism research on EDM combined with magnetic field., Engineering Materials, 416, 337-341.
- Lin Y. C. and Lee H. S. (2008)., Machining characteristics of magnetic force-assisted EDM., International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 48, 1179-1186.
- Chu X., Zhu K., Zhang Y. and Wang C. (2015)., Study on Erosion Mechanism of Magnetic-field-assisted Micro-EDM., International Journal of Science, ISSN: 1813-4890 2, 1, 91-95.
- Lin L., Diver C., Atkinson J., Wagner R. and Helml H. J. (2006)., Sequential Laser and EDM Micro-drilling for Next Generation Fuel Injection Nozzle Manufacture., CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 55(1), 179-182.
- Rasheed M. S. (2013)., Comparison of Micro-Holes Produced By Micro-EDM with Laser Machining., International Journal of Science and Modern Engineering, ISSN: 2319-6386, 1(3), 14.
- Kuo C. L., Huang J. D. and Liang H. Y. (2003)., Fabrication of 3D Metal Microstructures Using a Hybrid Process of Micro-EDM and Laser Assembly., The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 21(10-11), 796-800.
- Stute U., Kling R. and Hermsdorf J. (2007)., Interaction between Electrical Arc and Nd: YAG Laser Radiation., CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 56 (1), 197-200.