Implementation of Digital Hearing and Speech Aid using MATLAB: A Survey
- 1Dept. of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, Bhilai Institute of Technology, Bhilai House Durg, CG, India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 5, Issue (6), Pages 18-20, June,26 (2016)
The analog hearing aids can be tuned and adjusted for volume, bass and treble. Hence they are similar to a simple radio. The digital technology filters the signals in such a way that it allows the speech signals while filters out the background noise. Thus, the digital hearing aids offer various advantages over analog hearing aids through the use of digital signal processing. Thus the implementation of digital hearing aid using MATLAB includes noise reduction filter, frequency shaping function and amplitude compression function. The inability to produce the normal speech is referred as speech impairment. There are various types of speech disorders in which dysarthria refers to that type of disorder in which there is difficulty in production of normal speech. The prototype system senses the vocal chord vibrations which are then amplified. Then the spoken word will be displayed in MATLAB programming language. In this, the digital hearing and speech aid implementation is to be done using MATLAB programming language. Thus, the system is a blend of hardware and software. Thus with this system, the basic needs of impaired people can be understood.
- G. Mota Gonzalez and E. Cardiel (2002)., Hearing aid based on frequency transposing., Second Joint EMBS/BMES Conference, Houston, TX, USA, 23rd-26th October, 2432-2433.
- Makhtar M. H. and Baharom M. S. (2004)., Hearing Aids system for Impaired people., International Journal of Computing and Information Sciences, 2(1), 23-26.
- Pandey Ashutosh and Mathews V. John (2010)., Improving Adaptive feedback cancellation in DHAs through offending frequency suppression., International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Dallas, Texas, USA, 173-176, ISBN 978-1-4244-4295-9.
- Aparna P. and Jeba Jaculin B. (2012)., Development of an Assistive Aid for speech impaired., International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 2(3), 1-4, ISSN : 2250-3153.
- Pandey Ashutosh and Mathews V. John (2011)., Low-delay signal processing for DHAs., IEEE Transactions on audio, speech and language processing, 19(4), 699-710, ISSN : 1558-7916.
- Mahendru Harish Chander (2014)., Quick review of Human Speech production mechanism., International Journal of Engineering Research and Development, 9(10), 48-54, E-ISSN : 2278-067X, P-ISSN : 2278-800X.