Anaerobic Co-Digestion of Food Waste and Straw for Methane Production
- 1Department of Civil Engineering, Coimbatore Institute of technology, Coimbatore, India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 5, Issue (6), Pages 5-9, June,26 (2016)
Solid waste management programmes are driven by a desire to keep environment clean in the hope of promoting environmental quality and public health. Large quantity of food waste produced results in nuisance and cause foul smell due to their nature. These wastes are disposed off by dumping, thermo chemical process, sanitary landfill, composting. The biodegradable organic waste was carried out in anaerobic digestion in enclosed space under controlled conditions of temperature, moisture, pH, etc. Co-digestion of food wastes and straw is the best suited process, apart from biogas production, the methane fermentation process produces stabilized waste. Codigestion is combined digestion with different waste carried out in a single reactor. The present study focus on the Anaerobic digestion of mixed food and straw waste carried out in laboratory scale at ambient temperature condition and investigates on volume of biogas produced per unit weight of waste . Daily and cumulative gas produced was measured by water displacement method. Analysis of variability of feedstock during the digestion process was carried out .Samples showed considerable reduction in total solids, total volatile solids and COD during degradation process indicating the waste stabilization.
- Berlian Sitorusa, Sukandarb and Seno D. Panjaitanc (2013)., Biogas recovery from anaerobic digestion process of mixed fruit -vegetable wastes., Energy Procedia, 32, 176-182.
- Velmurugan B. and Alwar Ramanujam R. (2011)., Anaerobic digestion of vegetable wastes for biogas production in a Fed-batch reactor., Int. J. Emerg. Sci., 1, 478-486.
- Nirmala B, Deepak S and Sunil K (1996)., Biomethanation of Banana peel and Pineapple waste., Bioresource Technology, 58, 73-76.
- Jia Lin, Jiane Zuo, Lili Gan and Peng Li. (2011)., Effects of mixture ratio on anaerobic co-digestion with fruit and vegetable waste and food waste of China., Journal of Environmental Sciences, 23(8) 1403-1408.
- Selina K. and Kurian Joseph (2008)., Biomethanation of vegetable wastes., J IPHE, 3, 9-13.
- APHA (1998)., Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Waste Water, 20th Edition., American Public Health Association, Washington DC.
- Behera P. K. (2014)., Soil & Solid Waste Analysis: A Laboratory Manual., Dominant Publishers & Distributors Pvt Ltd Niw Delhi, India.
- Kapp H. (1992)., On-line messung der organischen saüren., Korrespondenz Abwasser, 39(7), 999-1004.
- Pei Zhan-jiang, Liu Jie, Shi Feng-mei and Zhang Da-lei (2014)., High-solid Anaerobic Co-digestion of Food Waste and Rice Straw for Biogas Production., Journal of Northeast Agricultural University, 21(4), 61-66.
- Meena Krishania, Virendra Kumar and Anushree Malik (2013)., Analysis of different techniques used for improvement of biomethanation process: A Review., Fuel, 106, 1–9.
- Yalei Zhang, Xiaohua Chen and Yu Gu (2015)., A physiochemical method for increasing methane production from rice straw: Extrusion combined with alkali pretreatment., Applied energy, 160, 39-48.
- Krishna Nand, Sumitra Devi S., Prema Viswanath S., Somayaji Deepak and Sarada R. (1991)., Anaerobic digestion of canteen wastes for biogas production process optimization., Process Biochemistry, 6, 1-5.
- S.P Jeyapriya and M. K. (2008)., Saseetharan Energy recovery from municipal solid waste in an anaerobic reactor., Journal of Environmental Science & Engg., 50(3), 235-238.
- Yongming Sun and Yao wang (2013)., Improved biogas production from rice straw by co-digestion with kitchen waste and pig manure., Waste management, 33, 2653-8.