Coordination of Overcurrent Relay for Radial and Parallel feeder Networks
- 1Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Kathmandu University, Dhulikhel, Nepal
- 2Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Kathmandu University, Dhulikhel, Nepal
- 3Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Kathmandu University, Dhulikhel, Nepal
- 4Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Kathmandu University, Dhulikhel, Nepal
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 5, Issue (5), Pages 1-8, May,26 (2016)
Location of the fault is very important in power systems and its clearance should be carried out quickly to ensure continuous power supply to the load. Protection of the devices and their coordination is a crucial part for minimizing the fault. The research is focused on the simulations and analysis of over current relays’ coordination for radial and parallel feeder networks. This research work provides coordination of overcurrent relays for the radial and parallel feeder networks analyzing the time current characteristics. Observations and setup for radial and parallel feeder network is experimented in the electrical lab. Hardware implementation and study of time of operation of overcurrent relays is compared with the simulation result and findings from the ETAP software. For effective coordination of the relays, coordination among the relays and the respective protective devices are focused. Backup protection for the primary relay is achieved through the effective coordination time interval between the relays. Proper relay coordination effectively clears out the fault thus making the protection more reliable. The minimization of fault durations and backup protection to the primary protection is major concern of this research.
- Yin L. G., Agileswari K.R., Farrukh H.N. and Aidil A.Z.A. (2014)., Numerical Relay for Overcurrent Protection using TMS320F2812., Recent Researches in Circuits, Systems, Electronics, Control & Signal Processing, ISBN: 978-960-474-262-2.
- Gurevich V. (2007)., Simple Very High-Speed Overcurrent Protection Relay., Electrical engineering and Electromechanics.
- Sunil S.R. (1975)., Switchgear and Protection., Khanna Publishers.
- M Pöller, B Maier and A Dierks (2015)., Simulating the Steady State and Transient Response of Protective Relays., Digsilent Gmbh, Germany.
- Y.G. Paithankar and S.R. Bhide. (2008)., Fundamentals of power system protection., Asoke K. Ghosh publishers, Delhi, India.
- Electrical4u. (2015)., Protection of Lines or Feeder., http://www.electrical4u.com/protection-of-lines-or-feeder