Value engineering in the construction sector in Egypt
- 1The American University in Cairo, Cairo, Egypt
- 2The American University in Cairo, Cairo, Egypt
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 10, Issue (1), Pages 58-61, January,26 (2021)
Value engineering is considered a managing tool to accomplish the required function of a product, and service of the project while achieving the lowest cost possible. The concept developed dramatically during the past few years and became a major idea and evolution that could change the entire construction projects around the world. Then, most of those construction projects that seek to increase their value and function started to use value engineering and enhance the overall outcome and profits of the project. The idea became more familiar in Egypt as most construction projects developed this technique and seek a final improvement in the functions offered. This research aims to indicate these major value engineering elements and develop this idea on a real construction project that is located in Cairo. The case study of this research was a residential project located in Cairo where several construction elements were chosen to be the topic of this case study. The results of this analysis showed that the use of flat slab can be quite costly in the project, but at the same time can offer the required beautiful value needed and can be the best structural option available if compared to the elements. The other investigated method was the concrete pouring process which can be either the manual or the use of ready mix plant. It was indicated that the use of ready mix plant can be much easier and provide better quality control. The insulation technique and flooring were also investigated in order to determine the best alternative that could offer the needed value and at the same time can be less in cost.
- Xueqing, Z. Xiaoming, M. Simaan, M. A. (2009)., Developing a knowledge management system for improved value engineering practices in the construction industry., Automation in Construction., 18 (6), 777-789.
- Ilayaraja, K. and Zafar E. (2015)., Value Engineering in Construction., Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 8(32).
- Swetha, S. Smruthi, N. R. and Aleem, M. (2016)., Application of Value Engineering in Building Construction., Int. J. Adv. Res. Sci. Eng., 5(10), 253-267.