Detection of underwater weak zones of dam seepage, using remote operated vehicle-an emerging underwater technology
- 1Department of Geophysics, Institute of Science, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi-221005, Uttar Pradesh, India
- 2Central Soil and Materials Research Station, New Delhi-110016, India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 10, Issue (1), Pages 44-53, January,26 (2021)
The detection of underwater weak zone of the dam seepage is an important aspect for the dam safety monitoring. In unconsolidated or weak zone when seepage velocities reach critical values, internal erosion takes places, as a result the affected areas collapse and weakening the foundation of the dam. The internal erosion is one of the main reasons for the dam failures. Therefore seepage detection plays an important role in the dam safety monitoring. The visual detection of underwater weak zones of upstream face of the dam surface is difficult by conventional methods. Therefore, there is a need for new or improved technology of underwater inspection and investigation. The advanced development of remote operated vehicle in the underwater robotic technology increasingly adopted as efficient and effective tools for underwater inspection, evaluation and investigation. Furthermore, the use of a remote operated vehicle for obtaining an easily and quickly visual image recorded of underwater damage structure along the upstream face of the dam. In this study remote operated vehicle was used for the assessment of underwater weak zones prone of seepage in the upstream face of Mullaperiyar dam, Kerala, India. The analysis of the results revealed water seepage through a certain locations of unconsolidated or weak zones are presents and development of openings on the underwater upstream face of the dam.
- Anbazhagan P., Divyesh Rohit and Athul Prabhakaran (2016)., Investigations existing dam using integrated Geotechnical and Geophysical methods., Second National Dam Safety Conference. Bengaluru, India, 12th-13th January. 1-6.
- Chen, D.H. and Wimsatt, A. (2010)., Inspection and condition assessment using ground penetratingradar., J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 136(1), 207-214.
- Carlsten S., Johansson S. and Worman A. (1995)., Radar Techniques for Indicating Internal Erosion in Embankment Dams., Journal of Applied Geophysics, 33, 143-156.
- Johansson S. and Dahlin T. (1996)., Seepage Monitoring in an Earth Embankment Dam by Repeated Resistivity Measurements., European Journal of Engineering and Geophysics, 1, 229-247.
- Johansson S. and Sjodahl P. (2004)., Downstream seepage detection using temperature measurements and visual inspection- monitoring experiences from Rosvatn field test dam and large embankment dams in Sweden., Proceedings Stability and Breaching of Embankment Dams, Oslo, Norway.
- Aal G. Z. A., Ismail A.M., Anderson N.L. and Atekwana, E.A. (2004)., Geophysical Investigation of Seepage from an Earth Fill Dam, Washington County., MO. Journal of Applied Geophysics, 44, 167-180.
- Aufleger M., Conrad, M., Perzlmaier, P. and Porras P. (2005)., Improving a fiber optics tool for monitoring leakage., HRW, 13(4), 18-23.
- PorrasJ. P. (2007)., Fiber optic temperature measurements Further development of the gradient method for leakage detection and localization in earthen structures., TU München Berichtsheft Nr. 108.
- Radzicki K. and Bonelli S. (2010)., Thermal Seepage Monitoring in the Earth Dams with Impulse Response Function Analysis Model., in 8th ICOLD European Club Symposium.
- Cuong B.Q., Yihong Z. and Chunju, Z. (2016)., Seepage Evaluation in Embankment Dam based on Short-term Temperature Observation and Heat Injection., Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, 21(26), 10493-10506.
- Neto E.C., SaR.C., Holanda G.C., F.A.X. da Mota, Varela A.T., Araujo, A.L.C., Loiola, I.J., Oliveira R., de Alexandria A.R., de Albuquerque V.H.C. (2014)., Autonomous Underwater Vehicle to Inspect Hydroelectric Dams., International Journal of Computer Applications 101(11), 1-11.
- Mohd Aliff, Noor Firdaus, Nasyuha Rosli, MI Yusof, Nor Samsiah and Shahrul Effendy (2019)., Remotely Operated Unmanned Underwater Vehicle for Inspection., International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering, 9(2), 4644-4649. DOI:10.35940/ ijitee.B9050.129219.
- Vinay Kumar (1999)., Use of Remote Operated Vehicle for Under Water Scanning of Upstream face of Dams and other Hydraulic Structures., Training Course on Instrumentation in Hydraulic Structures of River Valley Projects, CSMRS, New Delhi, 91-95.
- Kondoa H. and Ura T. (2004)., Navigation of an AUV for investigation of underwater structures., Control Engineering Practice, 12, 1551-1559.
- Nelsonand Erik J. (2008)., Investigation and Repair of a Leaking Earthfill Dam. International Conference on Case Histories in Geotechnical Engineering., 29. https:// scholarsmine.mst.edu/icchge/6icChge/session02/29.
- Heffron R. E. (2015)., Use of submersible ROVs for the inspection and repair of hydroelectric station tunnels., https://doi.org/10.1680/ps.15869.0030
- Yasukazu Tsusaka, Hiroshi Ishidera and YuzuruItoh (1986)., MURS- 300 MK II: A Remote Inspection System for Underwater facilities of Hydraulic Power Plants., IEEE Journal of Ocean Engineering, 2(3) 94-102.
- Williams W., Ladd C.F., Douglas T.H., Johnson F.G., Johnston C.K. and Aitken, S.K. (1990)., Inspection of hydroelectric tunnels by remote operated vehicle., Proc. Instn. Civ. Engrs, Part I, 88, 179-181. https://doi.org/10. 1680/iicep.10990.4668.
- Cruz N., Matos A., Almeida R.M., Ferreira B.M. and Abreu N. (2011)., TriMARES - a hybrid AUV/ROV for dam inspection., Oceans 11 MTS/IEEE Kona, IEEE, Waikoloa, HI, USA,1-6.
- Alex Varughese, Hari Dev and Sohan Lal Gupta (2018)., Diagnostic Investigation of Hydro Electric Project Made Easy with Remote Operated Vehicle., American Journal of Civil Engineering, 6(1), 1-4. DOI: 10.11648/j.ajce.201806 01.11.
- Sudhir Kumar Chaturvedi, Sourav Basu and Saikat Banerjee (2020)., Gimbal orientation study and assessment for the autonomous underwater vehicles., Journal of Ocean Engineering and Science, 5, 101-115.
- Mohanakrishnam A. (1997)., History of the Periyar Dam with century long performance, Publication No. 257., Central Board of Irrigation and Power, New Delhi.
- Kazmi W., Ridao P., Ribas D. and Hernandez E. (2009)., Dam wall detection and tracking using a mechanically scanned imaging sonar., IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, IEEE, Kobe, Japan, 3595-3600.
- Chia A. and Balash C. (2020)., Towards an improved intuitive interface for Remotely Operated Vehicles., Journal of Ocean Engineering and Science, https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.joes.2020.03.001.
- Curz N., MadureiraL., Matos A. and Pereira F.L. (2001)., A versatile acoustic beacon for navigation and remote tracking of multiple underwater vehicle., Proceeding of the MTS/IEEE Oceans 01 Honolulu, HI,U.S.A, November.
- Eca Hytec (2005)., User Manual., H 300 ROV, M/s Hytec Hydro Technologie 501 rue de la Croix de Lavit, Parc Euromedecine, 34197 Montpellier Cedex -5, France.