Assessment of togolese rivers sands potential as filter sand for drinking water plants
- 1Laboratory of Research in Engineering Sciences, Engineers High National School, University of Lome, 01 BP 1515, Lome, Togo
- 2Laboratory of Research in Engineering Sciences, Engineers High National School, University of Lome, 01 BP 1515, Lome, Togo
- 3Laboratory of Research in Engineering Sciences, Engineers High National School, University of Lome, 01 BP 1515, Lome, Togo
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 10, Issue (1), Pages 20-30, January,26 (2021)
In this work, the physical properties of river sands, commonly used in construction in Togo, were studied in order to assess their potential as filter sand for drinking water plants. Samples from 17 sites throughout the five Togolese administrative regions are subjected to the tests of sieve analysis, density, porosity, mass loss at acid and friability. Results analysis reveals that sands absolute density, bulk density and porosity are generally suitable to the standard specifications. 88% of the samples show good acid solubility; 71% have very good friability and 29% have good or poor friability. The size distribution properties of these samples, evaluated by the effective size (D10) and the uniformity coefficient (Cu), do not allow them to be used, in their natural state, as rapid filtration sand without tailoring to the desired size. For an effective size of 1 mm and a uniformity coefficient of 1,5 for example, the usable proportions of theses natural sands vary from 6% to 28%. For the same uniformity coefficient and an effective size of 0,6 mm, the usable proportions are more important and vary from 10% to 56%.
- European Standards NF EN 12904 (2005)., Products used for treatment of water intended for human consumption-Silica sand and silica gravel.,
- French Standards NF X 45.401 (1992)., Granular filter materials., Test methods, Physical-chemical characteristics.
- Joaquin Suarez Lopez, Pablo Ures Rodriguez and Alfredo Jacome Burgos (2014)., High rate filtration (FS-TER-001): Technology fact sheets for effluent treatment plants of textile industry., Univerdidade da Coruna. pp1-26
- Degremont (1979)., Manual tecnico del agua., Cuarta edicion Espanola, 1-1254. ISBN 84-300-1651-1.
- G.M. Fair, J.C. Geyer and D. A. Okun (1968)., Water and waste-water engineering., Volume 2: Water purification and waste-water treatment and disposal, John Wiley & Sons. Inc., New York. 1-250. ISBN: 0471251313 9780471251316
- Japan Water Works Association (JWWA) standards (2006)., Quality Standard of filter sands., JWWA A-103 2006-2.
- Eaux de Paris (2006)., Traitements de potabilisation des eaux de surface: Filtration., Conference sur la potabilisation des eaux, Paris, France. pp 1-59.
- American Water works Association (AWWA) (2001)., Standard for Granular Filter Material., ANSI/AWWA B100-01.
- Jijingi Hemen Emmanuel and Musa Abubakar Yebom, (2017)., Potential use of Asa river sand as filter media in water treatment plants., American Journal of Environmental engineering and Science, 4(5), 48-59
- Zondi, T. A, Brouckaert, B. M, Pillay, P., Pryorl, M. J, and Amirtharajah A. (2002)., Assessment of the use of Autonomous Valve less filters for Turbidity Removal in Rural Applications., Proceedings of the WISA Biennial Conference and Exhibition, Durban, 19-23 May, 2002.
- Wotton, R.S. (2002)., Water purification using sand., Hydrobiologia, 469, 193-201. Doi:10.1023/A:10155030058 99.
- Jinsong Wang, David de Ridder, Albert van der Wal and Nora B. Sutton (2020)., Harnessing biodegradation potential of rapid sand filtration for organic micropollutant removal from drinking water: A review., Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 50, 1-33. DOI: 10.1080/10643389.2020.1771888
- Hedegaard, M. J., Prasse, C., and Albrechtsen, H.-J. (2019)., Microbial degradation pathways of the herbicide bentazone in filter sand used for drinking water treatment., Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 5(3), 521-532. https://doi.org/10.1039/C8EW00790J
- Liu, L., Fu, Y., Wei, Q., Liu, Q., Wu, L., Wu, J., Huo, W. (2019)., Applying Bio-Slow Sand Filtration for Water Treatment., Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, 28(4), 2243-2251. https://doi.org/10.15244/pjoes/89544
- Adeyemi, S. O (1984)., Development of Design and Operating Specification for Local Sand as Filtration Media., Nigeria Journal of Engineering, 2(5), 16-28
- Boller, M. A., and Kavanaugh, M. C. (1995)., Particle Characteristics and Head loss Increase in Granular Media Filtration., Water Research, 29(4), 1139-1149.
- Amini, F. and Troung H. V (1998)., Effect of Filter Media Particle Size Distribution on Filtration Efficiency., Water Quality Research Journal of Environ. Eng. Div. ASCE. 104(5), 917- 998.
- Ives, K. J (1990)., Testing of Filter media. Jour., Water Supply Research and Technology- Aqua, 39(3), 144-151.