The Effect of Mass Flow Rate on the Enhanced Heat Transfer Charactristics in A Corrugated Plate Type Heat Exchanger
- 1 Department of Chemical Engineering, Kongu Engineering College, Perundurai, 638 052, Tamil Nadu, INDIA
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 1, Issue (6), Pages 22-26, December,26 (2012)
Heat exchanger is a device in which heat is transferred from one medium to another medium across a corrugation angle plate surface. In many leather, textile, dying, and chemical process industries are making a salt separation (or) solid separation process by using of heat exchanging device in shell and tube heat exchanger. It was provided a lower heat transfer rate compare to plate type heat exchanger. This present work can be designed for corrugated plate type heat exchanger with different mass flow rates and corrugation angle. In the plate type heat exchanger having a advantages over the shell and tube heat exchanger as large area can be provided in smaller space. The basic objective of providing corrugated (or) embossed patterns is to import high turbulence to the fluids which result in high heat transfer co efficient as high as 2-5 times of those obtainable in shell and tube heat exchanger for similar duties.
- O'Brien J.E. and E.M. Sparrow, Corrugated-duct heat transfer, pressure drop and flow visualization, Trans. ASME, J. Heat Transfer,104, 410–416 (1982)
- Goldstein Jr. L. and Sparrow E.M., Heat/mass transfer characteristics for flow in a corrugated wall channel, Trans. ASME, J. Heat Transfer, 99, 187–195 (1977)
- Nishimura T., Murakami S., Arakawa S. and Kawamura Y., Flow observations and mass transfer characteristics in symmetrical wavy-walled channels at moderate Reynolds numbers for steady flow, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 33, 835–845 (1990)
- Nishimura T., Yano K., Yoshino T. and Kawamura Y., Occurrence and structure of Taylor–Goertler vortices induced in two-dimensional wavy channels for steady flow, J. Chem. Eng. Jpn., 23, 697–703 (1990)
- Rush T.A., Newell T.A. and Jacobi A.M., An experimental study of flow and heat transfer in sinusoidal wavy passages, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 42, 1545–1553 (1999)
- Muley A. and Manglik R.M., Experimental study of turbulent flow heat transfer and pressure drop in a plate heat exchanger with chevron plates, Trans. ASME, J. Heat Transfer, 121, 110–117 (1999)
- Yang L.C., Asako Y., Yamaguchi Y. and Faghri M., Numerical prediction of transitional characteristics of flow and heat transfer in a corrugated duct, Trans. ASME, J. Heart Transfer, 119, 62–69 (1998).
- Asako Y. and Faghri M., Finite-volume solutions for laminar flow and heat transfer in a corrugated duct, Trans. ASME, J. Heat Transfer, 109, 627–634 (1987)
- Yasar Islamoglu a, Cem Parmaksizoglu b, The effect of channel height on the enhanced heat transfer characteristics in a corrugated heat exchanger channel,Applied Thermal Engineering,23, 979–987 (2003)
- Martin H., ‘Heat Exchangers’, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, London (1992)
- Carmen C. Tadini, Gabriela G. Badolato, Bianca M.N.L. Vieira and Adilson C., Marques Buonopane, Study of the heat transfer of liquid foods using a plate exchanger., Department of Chemical Engineering Escola Politécnica, São Paulo University P.O. Box 61548 05424-970 (1963)
- Vlasogiannis P., Karagiannis G., Argyropoulos P., Bontozoglou V., Usher,Air–water two-phase flow and heat transfer in a plate heat exchanger, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 28, 757–772 (2002)