Dynamic Stress Analysis of a Multi cylinder Two-stage Compressor Crankshaft
- 1Anna university of Technology - Coimbatore, INDIA
- 2 Department of Chemical Engineering, Kongu Engineering College, Erode TN, INDIA
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 1, Issue (4), Pages 34-40, October,26 (2012)
In this work, the dynamic stress analysis was carried out to change the crankshaft material from forged steel shaft (En19C) and steel casting (En18C) to spheroidal graphite cast iron (SG600/3) to reduce the initial investment cost for development of the new product. A dynamic simulation was conducted on a crankshaft from six cylinder two-stage oil less compressor. Finite element analysis was performed to obtain the stress magnitude at critical locations at worst load cases. The pressure-volume diagram was used to calculate the load boundary condition in dynamic simulation model, and other simulation inputs were taken from the compressor specification. The dynamic load calculation is done analytically by considering the reciprocating masses and its inertial loads in all cylinders. This load was applied to the FE model in ABAQUS, and boundary conditions were applied according to all loads acting on the crankshaft mounting .The stresses are calculated from FE model and plotted in Goodman diagram to calculate the factor of safety. Results achieved from aforementioned analysis can be used in fatigue life calculation and optimization of this component.
- Farzin H. Montazersadgh and Ali Fatemi, Dynamic Load and Stress Analysis of a Crankshaft, SAE Technical Paper No, 2007 -01-0258, Society of Automotive Engineers (2007)
- Payar E., Kainz A., and Fiedler G.A., Fatigue Analysis of Crankshafts Using Nonlinear Transient Simulation Techniques, SAE Technical Paper No. 950709, Society of Automotive Engineers (1995)
- Borges A.C.C., Oliveira L.C., and Neto P.S., Stress Distribution in a Crankshaft Crank Using a Geometrucally Restricted Finite Element Model, SAE Technical Paper No. 2002-01-2183, Society of Automotive Engineers (2002)
- Becerra J.A., Jimenez F.J., Torres M., Sanchez D.T. and Carvajal E., Failure analysis of reciprocating compressor crankshafts, Engineering Failure Analysis, 18 (2011)
- John B. Heywood., the Two Stroke cycle Engine, Society of automotive engineers, Inc.
- Shigley Joseph E., Mechanical Engineering Design,3rd edition, McGraw-Hill (1977)