Geospatial assessment of raphia palm wine production and consumption points in Owerri senatorial district, Imo State, Nigeria
- 1Department of Geography, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- 2Department of Geography, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 9, Issue (3), Pages 55-63, July,22 (2020)
Raphia palm wine occupies a very important position in the traditional activities of Owerri senatorial district and the Igbo ethnic group in Nigeria generally. A lot of benefits have been derived from Raphia palm, which can be grouped under cultural, health, religious, culinary and economic benefits. The main objectives of this study were to investigate the existing distribution of Raphia palm wine production and consumption points, to ascertain the best route and finally to map their hot spot and cold spot zones. The location coordinates of the existing Production and Consumption points were collected using a GPS based on snowball sampling technique. Nearest neighbour analysis was used to analyse the pattern of distribution, the route analyst tool was used to analyse the best route and lastly, Getis-OrdG* a spatial statistics tool was used to determine the hotspot and cold spot zones. One of the findings showed that Raphia palm wine production points are randomly distributed across the study area, while the consumption points were clustered particularly around Owerri North, Owerri West, and Mbaitoli Local Government Area. It was recommended that there should be the enactment of state laws to reduce the felling of Raphia palm trees in the face of rapid urbanization.
- Obahiagbon F. I. (2009)., A Review of The Origin Morphology, Cultivation, Economic Products, Health and Physiological Implications of Raphia Palm., African Journal of Food Science, 3(13), 447-453.
- Ogbulie T, Ogbulie J. N. N. and Njoku, H. O. (2013)., Comparative Study on the Microbiology and Shelf Life Stability of Palm wine from Elaeis. Guineensis and Raphiahookeri obtained from Okigwe Nigeria., African Journal of Biotechnology Research, 1(2), 015-022.
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2004)., Global Status Report on Alcohol., Pg. 12-65.
- Nwachukwu M. (2012)., How we Drink Palm Wine., Vanguard ngrnews, May 23, 2012, available at www.vanguard.com. page 4.
- Aiyeloja A. A, Oladele A. T, and Tumulo O. (2014), Potentials of Raphia Hookeri Wine in Livelihood Sustenance among Rural and Urban Populations in Nigeria., International Journal of Social Behaviour, Education, Economic, Business, and Industrial Engineering, 8(7), 2325-2332.
- Ndon D.S. (2003)., The Raphia Palm, Concept Publications Ltd, Lagos, Nigeria., P17 NIFOR Pull. Page 1-55.
- Ikegwu J.U. (2014)., The Value of Palm Wine Tapping in the Food Production Practices of Igbo Land: A Case Study of Idemili South Local Go. vernment Area, Anambra., Research on Humanities and Social Sciences, l4(6), 49-54.
- Mbuagbaw L, and Noorduyn S.G. (2012)., The Palm-Wine Trade: Occupational and Health Hazards., The International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 3(4), 157-164.
- Tiepma N.E.E., Zambou N.F., Agbor. E.E. and Tehouanguep M. F. (2013)., Physicochemical Changes of Raffia sap (Raphiamambillensis) contents during spontaneous fermentation., Africa Journal of Biotechnology, 12(41), 6013-6018.
- Ewuim S.C., Akunne E., Anumba A.I., and Etaga H.O. (2011)., Insects Associated with Wine from Raffia Palm (Raphiahookeri) in Alor, Nigeria., Animal Research International, l(8), 1328-1336.
- Adakaren B., and Eneh F.K. (2001)., Economic Importance of Raphia Palms in Nigeria: A Review., Journal of Applied Sciences, 5(4), 3154-3166.
- Tony H.G., Alan T.M, William A.P., Loni P.T., Yin L. and Ran W. (2012)., Alcohol Beverage Control, Privatization and the Geographic Distribution of Alcohol outlets.,
- Omodele T., Okere I.A., and Oladele-Bukola M.O. (2014)., GIS delineation of factors responsible for spatial distribution of poultry meat production in the Niger Delta: a case study of Delta State, Nigeria., Livestock Research for Rural Development, 26(11).
- Ubokudom E. and Okorji E.C., (2014)., Economic Analysis of Raphia Palm (Raphia Spp.) wine Production in AkwaIbom State, Nigeria., International Journal of Agriculture and Crop Science, 7(6), 347-352.