Promising application of natural zeolites: for waste water treatment - a review
- 1Department of Chemistry, College of Natural and Computational Sciences, Debre Berhan University, P.O. Box: 126, Debre Berhan, Ethiopia
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 8, Issue (4), Pages 69-74, October,22 (2019)
The presented review shows that, due to their unique properties such as, thermally stable, can survive both in acidic and basic conditions and have the capacity to exchange with other cation, Zeolites have a great potential as effective sorbents for a large number of water treatment applications. Moreover Zeolite modification extends markedly their applications. Number of different methods can be used for zeolites modification. The most common method for modification is to use organic surfactants. Low price and wide range of use in (waste) water treatment increases popularity of oxide modification. Growing interest in zeolite application in water purification is observed worldwide since natural zeolites offer the possibility for removing contaminants in water and wastewater such as inorganic cations and anions as well as microorganisms.
- Akinbile C.O. (2004)., Borewhole Construction Technology in the Reverie Areas., A case study of Igbokoda, Ondo State, Nigeria, world. Journal of Biotechnology, 5(1), 771-778.
- Ma W., Brown P.W. and Komarneni S. (1998)., Characterization and cation exchange properties of zeolites synthesized from fly ashes., J. Mater. Res., 13(1), 3-7.
- Water pollution (2019)., Effects of water pollution., http://eschooltoday.com/pollution/water-pollution/effects-of-water-pollution.html [accessed onFeb. 9,2019].
- Hari Srinivas (2019)., Sources of Water Pollution., http://www.gdrc.org/uem/water/water-pollution.html [accessed onFeb. 15,2019].
- Wang S. and Peng Y. (2010)., Natural zeolites as effective adsorbents in water and wastewater treatment., Chemical engineering journal, 156(1), 11-24.
- Akinbile C.O. (2004)., Public Health and Sanitation Implications of Hawked water in Akure Metropolis., Journal of Applied Science, 7(3), 4339-4350.
- Kumar Reddy Harikishore D. and Lee S.M. (2012)., Water pollution and treatment technologies., J. Environmental anal. Toxicology, 2(5), 1-2.
- Kędziora K., Piasek J., Szerement J. and Ambrożewicz-Nita A. (2014)., The use of modified zeolites in environmental engineering., A review, institute of agrophysics PAS, Lublin, Poland.
- Nicoladze G., Mints D. and Kastalsky A. (1989)., Water treatment for public and industrial supply., In Water treatment for public and industrial supply. Mir.
- Bekkum V.H., Flanigen E.M., Jacobs P.A. and Jansen J.C. (1991)., Introduction to zeolites science and practice., 2nd Revised ed., Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Somez (2019)., Zeolites., http://www.zeolitestore.com/en/zeolites [accessed on Feb.9,2019].
- Giev Bogdan B., Krasimira A., Irena M. and Yancho H. (2009)., Synthetic zeolites - structure, classification, current trends in zeolite synthesis review Economics and society development on the base of knowledge., J.Hazard.Material, 95(1-2), 65-79.
- Salam K. and Abdullah Al-N. (2013)., Treatment of wastewater containing cobalt (Co-59) and strontium (Sr-89) as a model to remove radioactive co-60 and Sr-90 using hierarchical structuresincorporating zeolites., Doctorate thesis. Environmental Engineering and Sustainable Technology,the University of Manchester, 36-40.
- Kędziora K., Piasek J., Szerement J. and Ambrożewicz-N.A. (2014)., The use ofmodifiedzeolites in environmental engineering., A review, Institute of agrophysics PAS, Lublin, Poland, 61-66.
- Badalians Gholikandi G., Baneshi M.M., Dehghanifard E., Salehi S. and Yari A.R. (2010)., Natural zeolites application as sustainable adsorbent for heavy metals removal from drinking water., Iranian Journal of toxicology, 4(3), 302-310.
- Lenntech (2019)., Zeolite structure and types., http:// www.lenntech.pl/zeolites-structure-types.htm[accessed onFeb. 19,2019].
- Kalló D. (2001)., Applications of natural zeolites in water and wastewater treatment., Reviews in mineralogy and geochemistry, 45(1), 519-550.
- Juan R., Hernández S., Andrés J.M. and Ruiz C. (2009)., Ion exchange uptake of ammonium in wastewater from a sewage treatment plant by zeolitic materials from fly ash., Journal of hazardous materials, 161(2-3), 781-786.
- Widiastuti N., Wu H., Ang M. and Zhang D.K. (2008)., The potential application of natural zeolite for greywater treatment., Desalination, 218(1-3), 271-280.
- Zhao X.L., Zhu L., Bai S.J., Zhou M., Qian J. and Wu W. (2014)., Performance of a double-layer BAF using zeolite and ceramic as media under ammonium shock load condition., Water Science and Engineering, 7(1), 81-89.
- Sullivan E.J., Bowman R.S. and Legiec I.A. (2003)., The potential application of natural zeolites for greywater treatment., Department of Chemical Engineering, Curtin University of Technology. J. Environ. Quality, 32, 2387-2391.
- Tsitsishvili T.G.A. and Kirov I.D.F. (1992)., Natural Zeolites., Ellis Horwood Limited, England.
- Hussein M.M., Khader K.M. and Musleh S.M. (2014)., Characterization of raw zeolite and surfactant-modified zeolite and their use in removal of selected organic pollutants from water., Int. J. Chem. Sci, 12(3), 815-844.