Bioleaching of Alumina from low grade Indian bauxite (41% Al2O3) by indigenous bacteria with reference to pH, Time and Carbon source
- 1School of Pharmacy and Life Science, Centurion University of Technology and Management, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
- 2Department of Biotechnology, Gandhi Institute of Engineering and Technology, Gunupur, Odisha, India
- 3Department of applied Biology, University of Science and Technology, Meghalaya, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (9), Pages 20-27, September,22 (2018)
The main objective of this work is to upgrade lean ore of Bauxite. Upgradation of low grade ore by bioleaching process with microorganisms is a new area and offers economic benefits in commercial production. The present work includes studying the indigenous bacteria isolated from the ore which have capable to leach out Aluminum from the same ore sample. The work also has aim to characterize the indigenous microorganism responsible for removal and also to find out the optimum condition for the process.
- Shoufa Zhana, Juanjuan Liuc, Ye Chena and Desi Sunb (2013)., Single and Coorperative Bauxite Bioleaching by Silicate Bacteria., International Conference on Agricultural and Natural Resources Engineering, IERI Procedia-5, 172-177.
- Willner J., Kadukova J., Fornalczyk A. and Saternus M. (2015)., Biohydrometallurgical methods for metals recovery from waste materials., Metalurgija, 54(1), 255-258.
- Sukla Lala Behari, Esther Jacintha, Panda Sandeep and Pradhan Nilotpala (2014)., Biomineral Processing: A Valid Eco-Friendly Alternative for Metal Extraction., Research and Reviews: journal of microbiology and biotechnology, 3(4), 1-10.
- Ambreen Nosheela, Bhatti Haq Nawaz and Bhatti T.M. (2002)., Bioleaching of Bauxite by Penicillum simplicissimum., Online journal of Biological Science, 2(12), 793-796.
- Zhonglin Y., Guobao W., Liqiang Z. and Xiaotao L. (2017)., Progress in Research and Development of Alumina Production Technology for Low Grade Bauxite in China., Travaux 46, Proceeding 35th international ICSOBA, conference, Hamberg , Germany, 289-299.
- Ghorbani Y., Oliazadeh M., Shahvedi A., Roohi R. and Pirayehgar A. (2007)., Use of some isolated fungi in biological Leaching of Aluminum from low grade bauxite., African Journal of Biotechnology, 6(11), 1284-1288.
- Temple K.L. and Delchamps E.W. (1953)., Autotrophic bacteria and the formation of acid in bituminous coal mines., Applied Microbiology, 1, 255-258.
- Le Roux N.W. (1970)., Mineral attack by microbiological processes., In: Miller, J.A.D., ed. Microbial aspects of metallurgy. American Elsevier Publishing. Co, New York, 173-182.
- Ghorbani Y., Oliazadeh M. and Shahverdi A.R. (2009)., Microbiological Leaching of Al from the Waste of Bayer Process by Some Selective Fungi., Iran. J. Chem. Chem. Eng., 28(1), 109-115.
- Bohidar S., Mohapatra S. and Sukla L.B. (2009)., Nickel recovery from chromite overburden of Sukinda using fungal strains., Int J Integr Biol, 5, 103-108.
- Ghorbani Y., Franzidis J.P. and Petersen J. (2016)., Heap leaching technology-current state, innovations, and future directions: a review., Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy Review, 37(2), 73-119.
- Murr L.E., Torma A.E. and Brierley J.A. (1978)., Metallurgical Applications of the Bacterial Leaching and Related Microbiological Phenomena., Academic Press, New York, USA,
- Gurevich Y.L., Teremova M.I., Bondarenko G.N. and Kislan S.L. (2015)., Bio-Chemical leaching of Kaolinite- hematite-boehmite type bauxite ore., Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, 22, 248-252.
- Gentina J.C. and Acevedo F. (1985)., Microbial ore leaching in developing countries., Trends in Biotechnology, 3(4), 86-89.
- Vasan S.S., Jayant modak M. and Natarajan K.A. (2001)., Some recent advances in the bioprocess of Bauxite., Int. J. Miner Process., 173-186.
- Henry L. and Ehrlich l. (1995)., Weathering of pisolitic bauxite by hetero-trophic bacteria., Biohydrometall. Process, 15, 395-403.
- Behera S.K., Panda P.P. and Sukla L.B. (2011)., Microbial Recovery of Nickel and Cobalt from Pre-treated Chromite Overburdens of Sukinda Mines using Aspergillus niger., Recent Research in Science and Technology, 3(6), 28-33.