Hydrogeochemistry and qualitative assessment of groundwater resources in Digapahandi block of Odisha, India
- 1Department of Geology, MPC Autonomous Colleges, Baripada, Odisha, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (6), Pages 6-11, June,22 (2018)
Digapahandi area of Ganjam is a chronically drought prone and economically poor region in Orissa. The economy of the area is basically agrarian. Surface water irrigation is not adequate. Drinking water scarcity is very acute during summer. The systematic and logical evaluation of groundwater resources qualitatively is essential for sustainable utilization and management of groundwater in this area. Comparison of the potable water standards (ISI, 1983) with the various water quality parameters of ground water from aquifers reveals that groundwater comes under potable category with respect to maximum permissible limit. It is a general observation that the water from deeper aquifers have superior quality than that of the shallow aquifers. Therefore, from the quality aspect, the water from deep bore wells is most suitable. Ions of higher concentration are normally observed in villages like S.Tikarapada, Samantarapur, Pentha, Ankorda, Kusapada, Baligudi and Basudevpur with respect to SAR, RC, TDS, Percent Sodium, Magnesium Hazard and P.I., the ground water of both dug wells and bore wells falls within good to excellent category for agricultural uses except very few cases.
- Jasrotia A.S. and Singh R. (2007)., Hydro chemistry and Ground water quality, Around Devak and Rui watersheds of Jammu Region., J.K. Jour. Geol. Soc. India, 69, 1042-1954.
- Pandian K. and Sankar K. (2007)., Hydrogeochemistry and Ground water quality in the Vaippar River Basin, Tamil Nadu., Jour. Geol. Soc. India, 69, 970-982.
- Ramesh K., Li T. and Bhuvana J.P. (2012)., Hydrogeochemical characteristics of Ground Water for Domestic and Irrigation purpose In Periyakulum Taluk of Theni District, Tamilnadu., I. Res. J. Environmental Sci., 1(1), 19-27.
- Garcia S.G., Lastoria G. and Henrique C.G. (2015)., Hydrochemistry Applied to Water Supply System: A case study from a Brazilian Urban area., Engineering Geology for society and Territory, Springer, Chem. S, 1365-1368.
- Haritosh A.K., Kaushik C.P., Kaushik A. and Yadav A.K. (2008)., Suitability Assessment of groundwater for drinking, irrigation and Industrial use in some north India villages., Environ. Monit Assess, 145, 397-406.
- Chen S. and Gui H. (2016)., Quality Assessment and Hydrogeochemical characteristics of Ground water from coal bearing aquifer in Sunan Coal Mine, Anhui Province, China., Nature Environment and Pollution Technology, 15(4), 1341-1346.
- Raghunath H.M. (1987)., Groundwater., Wiley Eastern Ltd, New Delhi, 1-504, ISBN:81-224-1904-6.
- Karanth K.R. (1987)., Ground Water Assessment development and management., Tata McGrow Hill, New Delhi.
- Aghazadeh N., Chitsazan M. and Golestan Y. (2017)., Hydrochemistry and quality assessment of groundwater in the Ardabil area, Iran., Applied Water Science, 7(7), 3599-3616.
- Wu H., Chen J., Qian H. and Zhang X. (2015)., Chemical Characteristics and Quality Assessment of Ground water of exploited quibers in Beijiao water source of Yinchuan, China: A case study for Drinking, Irrigation and Industrial purposes., Jou. Chem., 1-14.
- Rao N.S., Vidyasagar G., Rao P.S. and Bhanumurthy P. (2017)., Chemistry and Quality of Ground water in a coastal region of Andhra Pradesh, India., Appl. Water Sc, 7, 285-294.
- Marghade D., Malpe D.B. and Zade A.B. (2011)., Geochemical characterization of groundwater from northeastern part of Nagpur urban, Central India., Environmental Earth Sciences, 62(7), 1419-1430.
- Rao P.N., Rao S.A. and Rao N.S. (2015)., Suitability of groundwater quality for drinking, irrigation and industrial purposes in the Western Delta Region of the River Godavari, Andhra Pradesh., Journal of the Geological Society of India, 86(2), 181-190.
- Prasanth R.S., Remya J. and Kumar R.B. (2015)., Appraisal of Groundwater Quality Around two International Tourism Destinations, Kovalam and Vizhinjam, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India., Nature Environment and Pollution Technology, 14(2), 307-312.
- Raj D. and Kumar R.B. (2015)., Judgement of Groundwater Quality Around Trivandrum Civil Station, Kerala, India: A GIS Based Approach., Nature Environment and Pollution Technology, 14(1), 157-160.
- Doneen L.D. (1964)., Notes on Water Quality in Agriculture published as a Water Science and Engineering Paper 4001., Department of Water Science and Engineering, University of California.
- Richards L.A. (1954)., Diagnosis and improvement of saline and alkali soils., Agricultural hand book 60. U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Washington D.C., 160.
- Regional Salinity Laboratory (US). (1954)., Diagnosis and improvement of saline and alkali soils (No. 60)., US Govt. Print. off.
- Wilcox L.V. (1955)., Classification and use of irrigation water., USDA circular 969, 19.
- ISI (1983)., Indian standards specifications for drinking water., IS: 10500.