Water quality of two important Inland Wetlands (Pariej and Kanewal) in the Neighbouring Districts of Central Gujarat, India
- 1Gujarat Ecological Education and Research (GEER) Foundation, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India
- 2Gujarat Ecological Education and Research (GEER) Foundation, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India
- 3Gujarat Ecological Education and Research (GEER) Foundation, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (2), Pages 24-32, February,22 (2018)
Present study deals with the physico-chemical parameters of water quality of two well-known man-made inland wetlands of Central Gujarat, viz. Pariej and Kanewal. This study was conducted to ascertain their overall water quality status and to understand seasonal dynamics of various water quality parameters. To understand water quality profile of the two wetlands, water samples were seasonally collected for analyzing 16 physico-chemical parameters during the three seasons (monsoon, winter and summer) of the year 2016-17. The parameters included temperature, pH, electric conductivity, turbidity, total dissolved solids (TDS), dissolved oxygen (DO), acidity, alkalinity, total hardness, chlorides, salinity and some nutrients like nitrates, nitrites and phosphates which were analyzed by standard methods for comparative study of them.
- Ramsar Convention Secretariat (2013)., The Ramsar Convention Manual: A guide to the Convention on Wetlands (Ramsar, Iran, 1971)., 6th ed. Ramsar Convention Secretariat, Gland, Switzerland.
- Smitha Ajay D. and Shivashankar P. (2013)., Physico Chemical Analysis of the Freshwater at River Kapila, Nanjangudu Industrial Area, Mysore, India., J. Env. Sc., 2(8), 59-65.
- Sivakumar A.A. and Jaganathan R. (2002)., Hydrography and pollution of the river Bhavani, Tamil Nadu, India., In A. Kumar (Ed.), Ecology and conservation of lakes, reservoirs and rivers, 1246.
- Mitsch W.J. and Gosselink J.G. (2000)., Wetlands., 4th Edition, Wiley, New York. 920.
- Islam M.Z. and Rahmani A.R. (2004)., Important Bird Areas in India: Priority areas for conservation., Mumbai, U.K. & Mumbai: Bombay Natural History Society, BirdLife International, & Oxford University Press.
- Parasharya B.M. and Jani J.J. (2006)., Study of Wetland Habitat in North and Central Gujarat Region and Suggesting Management Strategies for it., Final Technical Report submitted to the Chief Conservator of Forests (Research), Gujarat State Forest Department, Govt. of Gujarat.
- Anonymous (2016)., Wetlands of Gujarat., Gujarat Ecological Education and Research (GEER) Foundation, Gandhinagar, India. 215 (Unpublished Report)
- Singh H.S. (2014)., Wetlands in Gujarat-Versatile and Vulnerable., Gujarat Biodiversity Board, Gandhinagar, India.
- Van Der Ven J. (1987)., Asian Waterfowl 1987: Midwinter Bird Observations in Some Asian Countries., Slimbridge, UK. 103.
- Mukherjee A., Borad C.K. and Parasharya B.M. (2002)., A study of the ecological requirements of waterfowl at man-made reservoirs in Kheda district, Gujarat, India, with a view towards conservation, management and planning., Zoos
- APHA and AWWA (1992)., Standard. Methods for the examination of water & waste water., Washington DC 18th Edition.
- Wang W.N., Wang A.L., Chen L., Liu Y. and Sun R.Y. (2002)., Effects of pH on Survival, Phosphorus Concentration, Adenylate Energy Charge and Na+-K+ ATPase Activities of Penaeuschinensis Osbeck Juveniles., Aquatic Toxicology, 60, 75-83.
- Otsuki A. and Wetzel R.G. (1974)., Calcium and total alkalinity budget and calcium carbonate precipitation of a small hardwater lake., Arch Hydrobiology, 73, 14-30.
- Syed A. and Datta-Munshi J. (1975)., Studies on primary production in a freshwater pond., Jap. J. Ecol., 25(1), 21- 23.
- Yousuf T., Yousuf A.R. and Mushtaq B. (2015)., Comparative account on physico-chemical parameters of two wetlands of Kashmir, Valley., Intern J Recent Sci Res, 6(2), 2876-2882.
Singh R.P. and Mathur P. (2005)., Investigation of variations in physicochemical characteristics of a fresh water reservoir of Ajmer city, Rajasthan., Indian Journal Environmental Sciences, 9, 57-61.
- Bohra O.P. and Bhargava S.C. (1977)., Abiotic factor, chlorophyll pigment and primary production in two lakes of Jodhpur., Geobios, 4, 215-216.
- Umerfaruq Q.M. and Solanki H.A. (2015)., Physico-chemical parameters of water in Bibi Lake, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India., Journal of Pollution Effects and Control, 3(2), 1-5.
- Kumar S.M. and Ravindranath S. (1998)., Water Studies-methods for monitoring water quality., Center for Environment Education (CEE), Banglore, Karnataka, India, 191.
- Murugesan A., Ramu A. and Kannan N. (2006)., Water quality assessment from Uthamapalayam municipality in Theni District, Tamil Nadu, India., Pollution Research, 25, 163-166.
- Venkatasubramani R. and Meenambal T. (2007)., Study of sub-surface water quality in Mattupalayam Taluk of Coimbatore district Tamil Nadu., Nat. Environ. Pollut.Tech, 6(2), 307-310.
- Dehadrai P.V. (1970)., Changes in environmental features of the Zuari and Mandovi estuaries in relation to tides., Proc. Indian. Acad. Sci., 72(2), 68-80.
- Goswami S.C. and Singbal S.Y.S. (1974)., Ecology of Mandovi and Zuari estuaries: Plankton community in relation to hydrographic conditions during monsoon months., Ind. J. Mar. Sci., 3, 51-57.
- Tiwari D.R. (2001)., Hydro geochemistry of underground water in and around Chatarpur city., Indian Environ Health, 43(4), 176.
- Kaur H., Dhillon S.S., Bath and Mander G. (1996)., Analysis of the Elements pollution riverGaggar in the region of Punjab., Journal of Environment and Pollution, 3(2), 65-68.
- World Health Organization (1996)., Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality., Vol. 2, Health Criteria and other supporting information, WHO, Geneva.
- Kapoor C.P. (1993)., Physico-chemical and biological study of four rivers at Bareilly (UP)., Poll. Res, 12(4), 267-270.
- Raman A.V. (1995)., Pollution effects in Visakhapatnam harbour, India: An overview of 23 years of investigations and monitoring., HelgolanderMeeresun., 49, 633-645.
- Mahapatro T.R. and Padhy S.N. (2001)., Seasonal variation of Micronutrients in Rushikulya Estuary, Bay of Bengal., Poll Res., 20(4), 529-533.
- Satpathy K.K. (1996)., Seasonal distribution of nutrients in the coastal waters off Kalpakkam, east coast of India., Ind. J. Mar. Sci., 25(3), 221-224.
- Sachin S.R., Benno Pereira F.G., Sumesh C., Sini Wilson and Jyothilal C.S. (2013)., Seasonal variation in nutrient concentration of KandachiraKayal of the Ashtamudi lake, Kerala., Journal of Aquatic Biology & Fisheries, 1(1 & 2), 165-173.
- Prabu V.A., Rajkumar M. and Perumal P. (2008)., Seasonal variations in physico-chemical characteristics of Pichavaram mangroves, southeast coast of India., J. Environ. Biol, 29(6), 945-950.
- Sundaramanickam A., Sivakumar T., Kumaran R., Ammaiappan V. and Velappan R. (2008)., Acomparative study of physicochemicalinvestigation along Parangipettai and Cuddalore coast., J. Environ. Sci. Technol., 1(1), 1-10.
- Manikannan R., Asokan S. and Ali A.H.M.S. (2011)., Seasonal variations of physicochemical properties of the Great Vedaranyam Swamp, Point Calimere Wildlife Sanctuary, Southeast coast of India., African Jour. of Env. Sci. Tech., 5(9), 673-681.
- Bandela N.N., Vaidya D.P., Lomte V.S. and Shivanikar S.V. (1999)., The distribution pattern of phosphate and nitrogen forms and their interrelationships in Barun Dam Water., Poll. Res., 18(4), 411-414.
- Desai P.V., Godase S.J. and Halkar S.G. (1995)., Physicochemical characteristics of Khandepar River, Goa, India., Poll. Res., 14, 447-454.
- Benjamin R., Chakrapani B.K., Devashish K., Nagarathna A.V., Ramachandra T.V. (1996)., Fish mortality in Bangalore lakes, India., Electronic Green Journal, 6. Retrieved from http://egj.lib.uidaho.edu/egj06/ramachandra.html.
- Hasler A.D. (1947)., Eutrophication of lakes by domestic drainage., Journal of Ecology, 28, 383-395.
- De Sousa S.N., Gupta R.S., Sanzgiri S. and Rajagopal M. D. (1981)., Studies on Nutrients of Mandovi & Zuari River Systems., Ind. J. Mar. Sci., 26, 314-321.
- Senthilkumar S., Santhanam P. and Perumal P. (2002)., Diversity of phytoplankton in Vellar estuary, Southeast coast of India., Proceedings of the Indian Fisheries Forum (Ayyappan, S., Jena, J.K. and Mohan Joseph, M., eds.). AFSIB, Mangalore and AeA, Bhubanewar, India, 245-248.
- Rajasegar M. (2003)., Physico-chemical characteristics of the Vellar estuary in relation to shrimp farming., J. Environ. Biol., 24, 95-101.
- Kumary K.A. amd Azis P.A. (1992)., Water quality of the Poonthura estuary, Thiruvananthapuram., Mahasagar, 25(1), 1-9.
- Meera S. and Bijoy N.S. (2010)., Water quality status and primary productivity of Valanthakadu backwater in Kerala., Indian J. Mar. Sci., 31(5), 105-113.