Emission of various contaminants into ambient air from wastewater treatment plant
- 1Civil Engineering, Amity University, Kant Kalwar, NH-11C, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (2), Pages 74-77, February,22 (2018)
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and odorous compounds released into atmosphere causes ecological and health hazards. In this paper, emissions from wastewater treatment plant has been categorised into greenhouse gases and odorous compounds. Methane is produced in abundance due to anaerobic decomposition of organic waste along with carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide and other chemical compounds. They pose various health problems in terms of health and economy. Odorous compounds are the mixture of number of chemical species like hydrogen sulphide, ammonia and acetic acid etc. They create problems of headache and neuropsychology. Along with the production of these chemical species of different categories, process of their control and regulations has also been discussed.
- Lebrero R., Bouchy L., Stuetz R. and Muñoz R. (2011)., Odor assessment and management in wastewater treatment plants: a review., Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 41(10), 915-950. https://doi.org/10.1080/10643380903300000
- Rao Chitikela S., Witt K. and Chandran S. (2004)., Air permitting of municipal water and waste water treatment operations-An overview., World Water and Environmental Resources Congress., 1-7.
- Prakasam Tata, Jay Witherspoon and Cecil Lue-Hing (2003)., VOC emissions from wastewater treatment plants, characterization, control and compliance., Lewis Publishers, 253-255, ISBN: 13:978-0-203-01152-2
- Kilburn K.H. and Warshaw R.H. (1995)., Hydrogen sulfide and reduced sulfur gases adversely affect neurophysiolocial functions., Toxicology and industrial health, 11, 185-197. doi/abs/10.1177/074823379501100206
- Doorn M.R.J., Strait R., Barnard W. and Eklund B. (1997)., Estimate of Global Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Industrial and Domestic Wastewater Treatment., Final Report prepared for US EPA, APPCD, Research Triangle Park, NC. EPA-600/R-97-091.
- Czepiel P.M., Crill P.M. and Harris R.C. (1993)., Methane emissions from municipal wastewater treatment processes., Env. Sci. Tech., 27(12), 2472-2477. DOI: 10.1021/ es00048a025.
- William F. Ritter and Rao Chitikela S. (2014)., Greenhouse gas emissions from wastewater treatment plants and by-products operations-A comprehensive review., In World Environmental and Water Resources Congress, 2175-2184. https:// doi.org/10.1061/9780784413548.217.
- Hobson John (1999)., Methane and nitrous oxide emissions from waste water handling, Good practice guidance and uncertainty management in national greenhouse gas inventories.,
- Shen T.T. and Sewell G.H. (1988)., Control of VOC emissions from waste management facilities., Journal of environmental engineering, 114(6), 1392-1400. https:// doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372 (1988) 114:6 (1392)
- Law Y., Ye L., Pan Y. and Yuan Z. (2012)., Nitrous oxide emissions from wastewater treatment processes., Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci., 367(1593), 1265-1277. doi: 10.1098/rstb.2011.0317
- Jones D.L., Burklin C.E., Seaman J.C., Jones J.W. and Corsi R.L. (1996)., Models to estimate volatile organic hazardous air pollutant emissions from municipal sewer systems., Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 46(7), 657-666. https://doi.org/10.1080/10473289. 1996.10467500
- Jeon E.C., Son H.K. and Sa J.H. (2009)., Emission characteristics and factors of selected odorous compounds at a wastewater treatment plant., Sensors, 9(1), 311-326. doi:10.3390/s90100311
- Winter P. and Duckham S.C. (2000)., Analysis of volatile odour compounds in digested sewage sludge and aged sewage sludge cake., Water science and Technology, 41(6), 73-80.
- Burgess J.E., Parsons S.A. and Stuetz R.M. (2001)., Developments in odour control and waste gas treatment biotechnology: a review., Biotechnology advances, 19(1), 35-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-9750(00)00058-6
- Treatment plant (2003)., Odour and air quality: Treatment plant., Final environmental impact statement. Brightwater regional wastewater treatment system.
- Andersson-Chan A. and Hanaeus J. (2006)., Odorous wastewater emissions., Vatten, 62(3), 227-236.
- Webster T.S., Devinny J.S., Torres E.M. and Basrai S.S. (1996)., Biofiltration of odors, toxics and volatile organic compounds from publicly owned treatment works., Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, 15(3), 141-147. DOI: 10.1002/ ep. 670150311.
- Mudliar S., Giri B., Padoley K., Satpute D., Dixit R., Bhatt P. and Vaidya A. (2010)., Bioreactors for treatment of VOCs and odours–a review., Journal of environmental management, 91(5), 1039-1054. DOI:10.1016/j.jenvman.2010.01.006
- Eastem Research Group (1997)., Final report: Preferred and alternative methods for estimating air emissions from wastewater collection and treatment., Eastem Research Group, Morrisville, NC.