Characterization of meteorological drought level in oriental Senegal
- 1Department of Physics, Faculty of Science and Technology, Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar, Senegal
- 2Department of Physics, Faculty of Science and Technology, Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar, Senegal
- 3Department of Physics, Faculty of Science and Technology, Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar, Senegal
- 4Department of Geography, Faculty of Arts and Humanities, Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar, Senegal
- 5Environmental Sciences Institute, Faculty of Science and Technology, Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar, Senegal
- 6Department of Physics, Faculty of Science and Technology, Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar, Senegal
- 7Department of Geography, Faculty of Arts and Humanities, Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar, Senegal
- 8Department of Physics, Faculty of Science and Technology, Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar, Senegal
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (11), Pages 22-36, November,22 (2018)
This study is based on rainfall data collected at the Tambacounda, Kédougou, Bakel, Goudiry and Koumpentoum stations over the period 1951-2015. It aims to identify the most notable meteorological droughts by their intensity, duration, frequency and threshold during the study period. To achieve these objectives, we used the standard deviation method because of its robustness in this sense. At the end of this work, we note a great vulnerability and an increased drying up experienced by Eastern Senegal during this period. Dry episodes are generally more persistent and more extensive in time and space than wet ones. These dry episodes reached their paroxysm in 1984, 1991 and 1996 with extremely severe droughts. Among the five stations studied, those of Goudiry, Kédougou and Bakel seem the most affected by the phenomenon of its severity and recurrence. These results would be in our opinion, be a source of reflection for the authorities on the dependence on rainfed agriculture in this area.
- Jouilil I., Bitar K., Salama H., Amraoui M.A. and Tahiri M. (2013)., Meteorological drought hydraulic basin of OUM ER RBIA during the last decades., Larhyss Journal, 12, 109-127.
- Traore V.B., Ndiaye M.L., Mbow C., Malomar G., Sarr J., Beye A.C. and Diaw A.T. (2017)., Khronostat Model as Statistical Analysis Tools in Low Casamance River Basin, Senegal., World Environment, 7(1), 10-22.
- Payne J.T., Wood A.W., Hamle A.F.T, Palmer R.N. and Lettenmaier D.P. (2004)., Mitigating the effects of climate change on the water resources of the Columbia River basin., Clim. Change, 62(1-3), 233-256.
- Barua S., Perera B.J.C. and Neg A.W.M. (2009)., A comparative drought assessment of Yarra River Catchment in Victoria, Australia., 18th World IMACS / MODSIM Congress, Cairns, Australia 13-17 July, 3245-3251.
- Elbouqdaoui K., Haida S., Aboulabbes O., Benaabidat L., Zahraoui M. and Ozer A. (2006)., Evolution of the pluviometric and hydrometric mode of the drainage basin of Srou (Middle Atlas, Morocco)., Geo-Eco-Trop., 30(2), 41-56.
- Soro G.E., Anouman D.G.L., Goula B.T.A., Srohorou B. and Savane I. (2014)., Characterization of Meteorological Drying Sequences at Various Time Scales in Sudanese-type Climates: Case of the extreme north-west of the Ivory Coast., Larhyss Journal, 18, 107-124.
- Bergaoui M. (2001)., Characterization of meteorological and hydrological drought: The case of Siliana watershed in Tunisia., Science and Global Change Drought, 12(4), 205-213.
- Heathcote S. (1973)., Aareism and aridity index., C R Acad Sc Paris, 182.
- Stour L. and Agoumi A. (2008)., Climatic drought in Morocco during the last decades., Hyd. Appl., 16, 215-232.
- White D.H. and Omeagher B. (1995)., Coping with exceptional droughts in Australia., Drought Network News, 13-7.
- Bootsma A., boisvert J.B., De Jong R. and Baier W. (1996)., Drought and Canadian Agriculture: A Review of Ways of Action., Drought, 7, 277-285.
- Kharin V. and Zwiers F. (2000)., Changes in the extremes in the ensemble of transient climate simulations with a coupled atmosphere–ocean GCM., J. Climate, 13(21), 3760-3788.
- Huntingford C., Jones R.G., Prudhomme C., Lamb R., Gash J.H.C. and Jones D.A. (2003)., Regional climate model predictions of extreme rainfall for a changing climate., Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc., 129(590), 1607-1621.
- Faye C., Amadou A.S. and Jean B.N. (2015)., Study of rainfall and hydrological droughts in tropical Africa: Characterization and mapping of index drought in the upper Senegal River Basin., Physio-Geo, 9, 17-35.
- WMO (2012)., Guide to using the standard precipitation index., World Meteorological Organization, WMO-No. 1090 ISBN 978-92-63-21090-6.
- Doumouya F.R., Traore V.B., Sadio M., Sambou H., Issaka A.A.H., Diaw A.T., Sambou B. and Beye A.C. (2016)., Rainfall Variability in Sine Saloum River Basin in a Context of Climate Change and Variability., Advances in Research, 6(6), 1-12.
- Christensen N.S., Wood A.W., Voisin N., Lettenmaier D.P. and Palmer R.N. (2004)., Effects of Climate Change on the Hydrology and Water Resources of the Colorado River Basin., Clim. Change, 62(1-3), 337-363.
- Rosine M.N.F., Nagnin S., Traore V.B., Théophile L., Soussou S. and Tanina S. (2014)., Climate variability and its impact on surface water resources: The case of stations of Bocanda and Dimbokro, eastcentral of Ivory Coast in West Africa., Africa Science, 10(4), 118-134.
- Pareek N. (2017)., Climate Change Impact on Soils: Adaptation and Mitigation., MOJ Eco environ.Sci., 26(3), 1-4.
- Kingumbi A., Bargaoui Z. and Hubert P. (2005)., Investigation on rainfall variability in the central part of Tunisia., Hydrol. Sci. J., 50(3), 493-508.
- Soro T.D., Soro N., Oga Y.M.S., Lasm T., Soro G., Ahoussi K.E. and Biemi J. (2011)., Climatic variability and its impact on the water resources in the square degree of Grand Lahou (Southwestern of Ivory Coast)., Physio-Geo Geography Physical and Environment, 5, 55-73.
- Diouf R., Traore V.B., Mamadou L.N., Hyacinthe S., Ngargoto N., Boubacar C., Youssou L., Bienvenu S., Amadou T.D. and Aboubaker C.B. (2018)., Spatial and temporal distribution of rainfall in agro-climatic zone of Fatick region, Senegal., Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, 5(1), 50-62.
- Servat E., Paturel J.E., Lubès N.H., Kouamé B., Masson J.M., Travaglio M. and Marieu B. (1999)., Different aspects of the rainfall variability in West Africa and Sahel Central not., Journal of Water Science, 12(2), 363-387.
- Ardoin B.S., Lubes N.H., Servat E., Dezetter A. and Boyer J.F. (2003)., Analysis of the persistence of drought in West Africa: Characterization of the situation of the 1990s., In: Hydrology of Mediterranean and Semiarid Regions, É. SERVAT, W. NAJEM, C. LEDUC and A. SHAKEEL ed., IAHS Publication, 278, 223-228.
- Watson E., Forster P., Richards M. and Bandelt H.J. (1997)., Mitochondrial footprints of human expansions in Africa., Am J Hum Genet, 61(3), 691-704.
- Goulden M., Conway D. and Persechino A. (2009)., Adaptation to climate change in international river basins in Africa: a review / Adaptation to climate change in international river basins in Africa: a review., Hydrological Sciences Journal, 54(5), 805-828.
- Radinovié D. and Curié M. (2009)., Deficit and surplus of precipitation as a continuous function of time., Theor. Appl Climatol., 98(1), 197-200.
- Wilhite D.A. and Svoboda M.D. (2000)., Improving Drought Early Warning Systems in the Context of Drought Preparedness and Mitigation., 5-7 Sept. 2000. Lisbon, Portugal 1-21.
- ANSD/SRSD Tambacounda (2015)., Regional Economic and Social Situation 2013, 10-15.
- ANSD/SRSD Kédougou (2015)., Regional Economic and Social Situation 2013, 20-31.
- Samba G.B. (2006)., Regional economic situation., 2005 edition, 58.
- Sanogo T. and Tamba A. (2002)., Inventory of baobab pares and potential of monkey bread in CR Koussanar and Bala in the Tambacounda region and the rural community of Dar Salam in the Kedougou region., Final Report, June 2012, USAID Wula Nafaa, 58.
- Manga A. (2008)., The tree, the building site, the millstone: Sliding towards the end of a logic of \"perennial\" sampling., Analysis and mapping of charcoal production in the department of Tambacounda (Senegal), Ph.D., Department of Geography, FLSH, UCAD, Dakar, 283.
- Aghrab A. (2003)., Characterization of drought and development of climate indicators for its early warning in the region of Saïss. End of studies memory., National School of Agriculture of Meknes, Morocco.
- Mckee T.B., Doesken N.J. and Kleist J. (1993)., The relationship of drought frequency and duration times scales., American Meteorological Society. 8th conference on Applied Climatology, 17-22 Janvier,Anaheim, CA, 179-184.
- Mckee T.B., Doesken N.J. and Kleist J. (1995)., Drought monitoring with multiple times scales., American Meteorological Society, 9th Conference on Applied Climatology, 15-22 Janvier, Dallas, TX, 233-236.
- Shapiro S.S and Wilk M.B. (1965)., An analysis of variance test for normality (complete samples)., Biometrika, 52(3-4), 591-611.
- Rahman M.M. and Govindarajulu Z. (1997)., A modification of the test of Shapiro and Wilk for normality., Journal of Applied Statistics, 24(2), 219-236.
- Shapiro S.S., Wilk M.B. and Chen H.J. (1968)., A comparative study of various tests for normality., Journal of the American Statistical Association, 63(324), 1343-1372.