Physico-chemical analysis of lotic and lentic water ecosystems in Samastipur, Bihar, India
- 1B.R.B. College, Samastipur, Bihar, India
- 2B.R.B. College, Samastipur, Bihar, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (1), Pages 11-21, January,22 (2018)
Samastipur (25°51’N, 85°47’E) is an important city of North Bihar, India. Water qualities of five experimental sites, three of the river Burhi Gandak and two of the ponds at Samastipur were studied during two consecutive years on thirteen physico-chemical parameters viz., pH, Temperature, Transparency, Conductivity, Total Dissolved Solids, Dissolved Oxygen, Free Carbon di-oxide, Carbonate Alkalinity, Bicarbonate Alkalinity, Total Hardness, Calcium, Chloride and Silicate. Observed values of pond water on pH, Temperature, Carbonate Alkalinity, Chloride and Silicate were found comparatively higher than that of river water, whereas Transparency, Dissolved Oxygen, Bicarbonate Alkalinity, Total Hardness, Calcium of pond water were found lower than the river water.
- Mumtazuddin S., Azad A.K., Bharti P. and Ranjan R. (2012)., Physico-chemical analysis of groundwater of the Budhi Gandak belt in Muzaffarpur district, India., International Research Journal of Environment Sciences, 1(1), 7-11.
- Chaudhary A.N. (2015)., Chemical Science Physico-Chemical Analysis of Soil Collected from Mahishi, Dist. Saharsa (Bihar)., International Journal of Chemical Sciences, 13(2), 1034-1038.
- Ray D., Rao R.R., Bhoi A.V., Biswas A.K., Ganguly A.K. and Sanyal P.B. (2000)., Physico-Chemical Quality of Drinking Water in Rohtas District of Bihar., Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 61(3), 387-398.
- APHA (2017)., Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Waste Water., 23rd Edn, American Public Health Association, Washington, 1-1504. ISBN: 978-0-87-553-287-5
- Google Map (2017). https://www.google.co.in/maps/ 25.8347105,85.7903392,13.5z?hl=hi (Accessed 08/09/2017, undefined, undefined
- Maps of India (2012). https://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/ bihar/ rivers/ (Accessed 02/09/2017), undefined, undefined
- Seulthope C.D. (1967)., Biology of aquatic vascular plants., Edward Amold (Pub) Ltd. London, 10. ISBN: 3784292576
- Vyas L.N. and Kumar H.D. (1968)., Studies on the phytoplankton and other algae of Indrasagar tank, Udaipur, India., Hydrobiologia, 31(3), 421-434.
- Singh S.R. and Swarup K. (1979)., Limnological studies of Suraha Lake (Ballia) II. Periodicity of phytoplankton., J. Indian, Bot. Soc., 58(4), 319-329.
- Hosmani S.P. and Bharati S.G. (1980)., Limnological studies in ponds and lakes of Dharwad-Comparative phytoplankton ecology of water bodies., Phykos, 19(1), 27-43.
- Weimin C. and Xiaoming G. (1987)., Annual changes in Zooplankton crustacean and their relationship with Physcio-chemical factors in Chengu lake., Int. J. Ecol. Enviorn. Sci., 13, 95-103.
- Duncan S.W. and Blinn D.W. (1989)., Importance of physical variables on the seasonal Dynamics of Epilithic Alage in a highly Shaded Canyon Stream., J. Phycol., 25(3), 455-461.
- Mesfin M. and Belay A. (1989)., A study of seasonal variation of phytoplankton in relation to water quality in Legedadi Reservoir., Int. J. Ecol. Environ. Sci, 15, 1-16.
- Surabhi (1994)., Limnological studies of Dighi pond at Darbhanga (Bihar)., Phycological Laboratory, University Department of Botany, B.R.A.Bihar University, Muzaffarpur, 1-198.
- Ministry of Works and Housing Drinking Water Standards (1975)., Chemical and biological methods for water pollution studies., by Trivedi, R.K. and Goel, P.K. (1984), Environmental Publications, Karad, Maharastra, India, 220.
- Kant S. and Anand V.K. (1978)., Interrelationship of phytoplankton and physical factors in Mansar lake, Jammu (J and K)., Ind. J. Ecol., 5(2), 134-140.
- Nasar S.K.J. and Nasar S.A.K. (1978)., Primary productivity of phytoplankton in sewage fed pond., Phykos: Journal of the Phycological Society (India), 17(1and2), 51-54.
- Yadava Y.S., Singh R.K., Choudhury M. and Kolekar V. (1987)., Limnology and productivity of Dighali beel (Assam)., Tropical Ecology, 28(2), 137-146.
- Bhatt S.D., Bisht Y. and Nagi U. (1985)., Hydrology and phytoplankton population in river Kosi of the Western Himalaya (Uttar Pradesh)., Indian. J. Ecol., 12(1), 141-146.
- Towheed M.A., Singh R.K. and Singh B.N. (1988)., Physico-chemical factors of swamps of Kosi region and manin Kosi river of north eastern Bihar in relation to yield by air-breathing fishes., Environment and Ecology, 6(2), 386-389.
- Bilgrami K.S., Munshi Dutta J.S., Siddiqui E.N. and Singh N.K. (1979)., Primary productivity of phytoplankton of the river Ganga., Biol Bull India, 1, 39-42.
- Sabater S., Sabater F. and Tomas X. (1987)., Water quality and diatom communities in two Catalan rivers (N.E.Spain)., Wat. Res., 21(8), 901-911.
- Reddy M.P. and Venkateswarlu V. (1987)., Assessment of water quality and pollution in the river Tunga bhadra near Kurnool. Andhra Pradesh., J. Environ. Biol., 8(2), 109-119.
- Rana B.C. and Palria S. (1988)., Phycological and physico-chemical evaluation of the river Ayad, Udaipur., Phykos(Algiers), 27(1), 211-217.
- Pandey S.N. and Tripathi A.K. (1988)., Studies of algae of polluted ponds of Kanpur (India) VIII. Role of Blue Green Algae., Phykos, 27, 38-43.
- Sengar R.M.S., Sharma K.D. and Pathak P.D. (1985)., Studies on distribution of algal flora in polluted and non-polluted regions in Yamuna river at Agra (U.P)., J. Ind. Bot. Soc., 64(4), 365-376.
- Clarke G.L. (1965)., Elements of Ecology., Publ. John Wiley and Sons, inc., New York. London. Sydney, 560.
- Voulgaropoulos A., Fytianos K., Apostolopoulou A. and Gounaridou X. (1987)., Correlation of some organic pollution factors in water systems in northern Greece., Water Research, 21(3), 253-256.
- Das S.M. and Pandey J. (1978)., Some physico-chemical and biological indicators of pollution in lake Nainital, Kumaun (UP)., Indian Journal of Ecology, 5(1), 7-16.
- Mallik S. and Bose S.K. (1987)., Ecological study of planktonic Blue Green Algae of fresh water pond of Ranchi, Bihar., Indian Int. J. Ecol. Sci., 13, 149-152.
- Verma P.K. and Munshi J.D. (1987)., Plankton community structure of Badua reservior, Bhagalpur (Bihar)., Trop. Ecol., 28, 200-207.
- Chow T. (1958)., A study of water quality in the fish ponds of Hong Kong., Univ. Fish. J., 2, 7-28.
- Hosmani S.P. (1988)., Seasonal changes in phytoplankton communities in a fresh water pond at Dharwar, Karnatak state, India., Phykos, 27(1and2), 82-87.
- Khan M.M. and Seenaya G. (1985)., Ecology of planktonic blue-green algae in the profiles of industrially polluted Husainsager lake Hyderabad, India., Phykos, 24(1), 140-148.
- Prasad B.N. and Singh Y. (1982)., On diatom as indicator of water pollution., J. Indian Bot. Soc., 61, 326-336.
- Venu P., Kumar V., Sardana R.K. and Bhasin M.K. (1984)., Indicatory and functional role of phytoplankton in effluents of rangpo distilleries of Sikkim Himalayas., Phykos, 23(1,2), 38-44.
- Singh A.K. (1985)., Physico-chemical and bacterial study of sewage water discharged into the river Ganga at Bhagalpur, India., Environment and Ecology, 3(2), 138-142.
- Sahia R., Saxena P.K. and Jabeen S. (1985)., Ecological survey of the algal flora of polluted habitats of Gorakhpur., Phykos(Algiers), 24(1), 4-11.
- Moyle J.B. (1949)., Some indices of lake productivity., Trans. Amer. Fish Soc, 76, 322-334.
- Philipose (1959)., Fresh water phytoplankton of inland fisheries., Proc. Symp. Algology, 4, 241-262.
- Sawyer C.N. (1960)., Chemistry for sanitary engineers., McGraw Hill, New York.
- Singh M.P. (1992)., Limnological studies of Sikandarapur Ox-bow lake with reference to algal diversity., Ph.D. Thesis, B.R.A. Bihar university, Muzaffarpur.
- Mahadev J. and Ahmed A.S. (2009)., Physico-chemical factors influencing the growth of diatoms in two habitats of Mysore., Asian Journal of Environmental Science, 4(1), 12-14.
- Singh V.P., Tewari A. and Khan M.A. (1970)., Studies on seasonal variation of algal of sweage., Phykos, 9, 57-62.
- Govindan V.S. and Sunderesan B.B. (1979)., Seasonal succession of algal flora in polluted region of Adyar river., Indian J. Environ. Hlth., 21(2), 131-142.
- Somashekar R.K. (1984)., Contribution of the algal flora of river Kapila, Karnataka, II Diatoms., Phykos, 23(1-2), 125-129.
- Claude E.B. (2014)., Silicon, Diatoms in aquaculture., Global Aquaculutre Advocte, 38-39.
- Kumar A. and Bohara C. (2002)., Faunistic composition, community structure, population dynamics and ethology of the birds of Udhuwa lake (Central Pargana) and the strategies for their conservation of lakes, reservoir and rivers (Ed. A. Kumar)., ABD Publishers, Jaipur, 149-199.