Assessment of water quality using physico-chemical parameters in two floodplain Lakes (Chaurs), North Bihar, India
- 1Department of Zoology, B.D. College (Magadh University), Patna-800 001, Bihar, India
- 2Department of Zoology, B.D. College (Magadh University), Patna-800 001, Bihar, India
- 3Department of Zoology (P.G. Centre), A.N. College (Magadh University), Patna-800 001, Bihar, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 6, Issue (9), Pages 26-37, September,22 (2017)
This study was aimed to assess status of physico-chemical characteristics of two floodplain lakes, Tarawe chaur and Gamharia chaur of north Bihar, India. Floodplain lakes are fresh water wetlands situated on the flood plains of river Kosi at 26°8\' N latitude and 65°5\' E longitude. The lakes get inundated with flood water during monsoon season and retain perennially. Monthly changes in physico-chemical variables were analyzed from November 2012 to October 2013. The existing water quality in two floodplain lakes was identified in terms of physico-chemical characteristics. Rainfall, evaporation, changes in water level, water from catchment and climate are major factors that determine quality of water in the floodplain lakes. The physico-chemical parameters, such as transparency, conductivity, pH, dissolved oxygen, chloride, nitrate-nitrogen and phosphate-phosphorus and BOD show lacustrine and riverine conditions. The water quality variables suggested that floodplain lakes offer a good habitat to supports many aquatic species. Results of present study indicate pollution free water at Tarawe chaur, and slight poor water quality at Gamharia chaur due to the waste water inflow from nearby village. The obtained value of physico-chemical parameters compare with the range reported from wetlands of other regions. The relationships among water quality parameters were tested by correlation co-efficient (r) analyses.
- Sather J.H. and Smith R.D. (1984)., An overview of major wetland functions., U.S. Fish Wildl. Serv., FWS/OBS-84/18, 68.
- Sugunan V.V. and Bhattacharjya B.K. (2000)., Ecology and fisheries of beels of Assam., Central Inland Capture Fisheries Research Institute, Barrackpore, India, 104, 1-65.
- Sugunan V.V. (1995)., Floodplain lakes: A fisheries perspective., In: J.R. Howes (Ed.). Conservation and Sustainable Use of Floodplain Wetlands, Asian Wetlands Bureau Kuala Lumpur AWP Publication No.113, 67-75.
- Khan R.A. (2002)., The ecology and faunal diversity of two floodplain ox-bow lakes of South Eastern West Bengal., Records of the Zoological Survey of India, 195, 1-57.
- Ziauddin G., Chakraborty S.K., Jaiswar A.K. and Bhaumik U. (2013)., Seasonal variation of physico-chemical parameters of selected floodplain wetlands of West Bengal., J. Chem. Bio. Phy. Sci. Sec., B., 3(4), 2731-2743.
- Acharjee B., Dutta A. and Choudhury M. (1999)., Role of physico-chemical parameters in the evaluation of productivity of Dighali beel, Assam., Environ. Ecol., 17(2), 274-279.
- Bordoloi R., Abujam S.K.S. and Paswan G. (2012)., Limnological study of a closed wetland Potiasola from Jorhat district, Assam., J. Bio. Innov., 1(5), 132-141.
- Das H., Misra K. and Das P. (2012)., Fluctuation of certain physico-chemical parameters in Bordowa beel of Nalbari district, Assam, India., The Clarion, 1(2), 114-120.
- Mondal D.K., Kaviraj A. and Saha S. (2010)., Water quality parameters and fish bio-diversity indices as measures of ecological degradation: A case study in two floodplain lakes of India., J. Water Resource Prot., 2(1), 85-92.
- Hazarika L.P. (2013)., A study of certain physico-chemical characteristics of Satajan wetland with special reference to fish diversity indices, Assam, India., Euro. J. Exp. Bio., 3(4), 173-180.
- Hussain B.A., Bhattacharyya R.C. and Dutta A. (2015)., A study of the limnology and ichthyology of Dhir Beel at Dhubri, Assam, India., Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., 4(8), 40-48.
- Kalita J.C., Deka U.S., Haque A., Kalita T.C. and Deka S. (2011)., Assessment of fish biodiversity of Koya Kujiya beel, Abhayapuri, Assam in relation to certain physico-chemical and anthropogenic factors., The Bioscan, 6(3), 425-431.
- Sharma B.K. (2012)., Phytoplankton diversity of a floodplain lake of the Brahmaputra River basin of Assam, north-east India., Indian J. Fish., 59(4), 131-139.
- Gupta S. and Devi S. (2014)., Ecology of Baskandi anua, an oxbow lake of south Assam, North East India., J. Environ. Biol., 35(6), 1101-1105.
- APHA (1989)., Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater., 19th Ed., American Public Health Association, Washington D.C., 1197.
- Trivedy R.K. and Goel P.K. (1984)., Chemical and Biological methods for water pollution studies., Environmental Publications, Karad, India.
- Moundiotiya C., Sisodia R., Kulshreshtha M. and Bhatia A.L. (2004)., A case study of the Jamwa Ramgarh wetland with special reference to physico-chemical properties of water and its environs., J. Environ. Hydrol., 12, 1-7.
- Ganesan L. and Khan R.A. (2008)., Studies on the ecology of zooplankton in a floodplain wetland of West Bengal, India., In: M. Sengupta and R. Dalwani (Ed), Proceedings of Taal 2007, The 12th World Lake Conference, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India, 67-73.
- Laskar H.S. and Gupta S. (2009)., Phytoplankton diversity and dynamics of Chatla floodplain lake, Barak Valley Assam, North East India: A seasonal study., J. Environ. Biol., 30(6), 1007-1012.
- Das M.K. and Bordoloi S. (2012)., Diversity of ornamental fishes in the river island Majuli, Assam., Global J. Biosci. Biotech., 1(1), 81-84.
- Gogoi B., Kachari A. and Das D.N. (2015)., Assessment of water quality in relation to fishery perspective in flood plain wetlands of Subansiri River basin Assam, India., J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 10(3), 171-180.
- Abir S. (2014)., Seasonal variations in physico-chemical characteristics of Rudrasagar wetland- A Ramsar site, Tripura, North East, India., Res. J. Chem. Sci., 4(1), 31-40.
- Baruah U.K., Bhagowati A.K., Talukdar R.K. and Saharia P.K. (2000)., Beel Fisheries of Assam: Community-based Co-management Imperative., Naga, The ICLARM Quarterly, 23(2), 36-41.
- Kumar N.J.I., Das M., Mukherji R. and Kumar R.N. (2011)., Assessment of zooplankton diversity of a tropical wetland system., Int. J. Pharm. & Life Sci., 2(8), 983-990.
- Khan M.A.G. and Choudhary S.H. (1994)., Physical and chemical limnology of lake Kaptai, Bangladesh., Tropical Ecology, 35(1), 35-51.
- Rolon A.S. and Maltchik L. (2006)., Environmental factors as predictors of aquatic macrophytes richness and composition in wetlands of southern Brazil., Hydrobiologia, 556(1), 221-231.
- Sharma B.K. (2010)., Phytoplankton diversity of two floodplain lakes (Pats) of Manipur (N.E. India)., J. Threat. Taxa., 2(11), 1273-1281.
- Olsen S. (1950)., Aquatic plants and hydrospheric factors., I. Aquatic plants in Switzerland. Arizona J. Sevensk Botanisk Tidskriff., 44, 1-34.
- Sarwar S.G. and Wazir N.N. (1988)., Abiotic environment of fresh water lentic ecosystem of Kashmir., Geobios, 15(6), 282-284.
- Dallas F.H. and Day J.A. (2004)., The effect of water quality variables on aquatic ecosystems: a reviews., Report to the water commission, WRC Report No., TT 224/04, 1-222.
- Ellis M.M. (1937)., Detection and measurement of stream pollution., U.S. Bur. Fish. Bull. Washington, 48(22), 367-437.
- Sinha S.N. and Biswas M. (2011)., Analysis of physico-chemical characteristics to study the water quality of a lake in Kalyani, West Bengal., Asian J. Exp. Biol. Sci., 2(1), 18-22.
- Blum J.L. (1957)., An ecological study of the algae of the saline river Michigan., Hydrobiologia, 9(4), 361-408.
- Swingle H.S. (1961)., Relationships of pH of pond waters to their suitability for fish culture., Proc. Pacific Sci. Congress, 10, 72-75.
- Adebisi A.A. (1981)., The physico-chemical hydrology of a tropical seasonal river-Upper Ogun river., Hydrobiologia, 79(2), 157-165.
- Baruah P. and Sharma S.K. (2013)., Status of ornamental fish diversity of Silsakho wetland in Kamrup district, Assam, India., The Clarion, 2(2), 21-26.
- McNeely R.N., Neimanis V.P. and Dwyer L. (1979)., Water quality source book: A guide to water quality parameters., Ottawa: Inland Waters Directorate, Water Quality Branch.
- Das A.K. (2000)., Limno-chemistry of Some Andhra Pradesh reservoirs., J. Inland Fish. Soc. India, 32(2), 37-44.
- Davis J.A., Rosich R.S., Bradley J.S., Growns J.E., Schmidt L.G. and Cheal F. (1993)., Wetland classification on the basis of water quality and invertebrate data, Wetlands of the Swan Coastal Plain., Environmental Protection Authority of Western Australia, Water Authority of Western Australia, 1-242.
- Flood D. (1996)., Irrigation Water Quality for BC Greenhouses, Floriculture Fact sheet., Ministry of Agriculture.
- Sarma D., Das J. and Dutta A. (2013)., Ecology of two riverine wetlands of Goalpara district, Assam in relation to plankton productivity., Int. J. Appl. Biol. Pharma., 4(4), 219-225.
- Manna S.K. and Das A.K. (2004)., Impact of the river Moosi on river Krishna limno-chemistry., Poll. Res., 23, 117-124.
- Sisodia R. and Chaturbhuj M. (2006)., Assessment of the water quality index of wetland Kalakho Lake, Rajasthan, India., J. Environ. Hydro., 14.
- Chatterjee C. and Raziuddin M. (2001)., Determination of Water Quality Index (WQ1) of a degraded river in Asnol Industrial Area, West Bengal., Nat. Env. Poll. Tech., 1(2), 181-189.
- Thresh J.C., Beale J.F. and Suckling E.V. (1949)., The examination of water and water supplies., E.W. Taylor (Ed.), London.
- Bhatt L.R., Lacoul P., Lekhak H.D. and Jha P.K. (1999)., Physico-chemical characteristics and phytoplankton of Taudaha lake, Kathmandu., Poll. Res., 18(4), 353-358.
- Shukla A., Shukla J.P. and Mishra M. (2012)., Biotic spectrum of Chando Lake in context of ecological status and zooplankton diversity., Curr. Res. J. Biol. Sci., 4(6), 690-695.