Isolation and characterization of biosurfactant producing microorganisms from marine of Gujarat and their role in bioremediation
- 1Department of Biochemistry, The Oxford College of Science, Bangalore–560102, Karnataka, India
- 2Department of Biochemistry, The Oxford College of Science, Bangalore–560102, Karnataka, India
- 3Department of Biochemistry, The Oxford College of Science, Bangalore–560102, Karnataka, India
- 4Department of Biochemistry, The Oxford College of Science, Bangalore–560102, Karnataka, India
- 5Department of Biochemistry, The Oxford College of Science, Bangalore–560102, Karnataka, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 6, Issue (9), Pages 19-25, September,22 (2017)
Petroleum based hydrocarbon degrading and biosurfactant producing bacterial strains were isolated from Alang, ship breaking yard of Bhavnagar, Gujarat. Three strains were identified as Pseudomonas sp, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Serratia marcescens on the basis of 16S rDNA sequencing analysis and Gene Bank submission data. The hemolytic activity, methylene blue agar plate method, drop collapsing test as well as oil displacement test were performed to elucidate biosurfactant producing activity of the bacterial strains. Foaming percentages of the crude biosurfactant were found to be 30.8% ± 0.58 to 43.8 % ± 0.43. All the strains were found to be efficiently degrading petroleum based oils and edible oils. Emulsification index against different hydrocarbons showed their diverse application in bioremediation. FTIR analysis revealed the presence of lipid and peptide in the isolated biosurfactants.
- Nikolopoulou M. and Kalogerakis N. (2009)., Biostimulation strategies for fresh and chronically polluted marine environments with petroleum hydrocarbons., J Chem Technol Biotechnol., 84, 802-807.
- Malik Z.A. and Ahmed S. (2012)., Degradation of petroleum hydrocarbons by oil field isolated bacterial consortium., Afr. J. Biotechnol, 11(3), 650-658.
- Lin M., Yuhua L., Weiwei C., Hui W. and Xiaoke H. (2014)., Use of bacteria-immobilized cotton fibers to absorb and degrade crude oil., Int. Biodeterior. Biodegrad, 88, 8-12.
- Al-Hadhrami M.N., Lappin-Scott H.M. and Fisher P.J. (1995)., Bacterial survival and n-alkane degradation within omani crude oil and mousse., Mar Poll Bull., 30(6), 403-408.
- Bao, M., Pi, Y., Wang, L., Sun, P., Lia Y., Cao, L. (2014). Lipopeptide biosurfactant production bacteria Acinetobacter sp. D3-2 and its biodegradation of crude oil. Environ. Sci. Processes Impacts, 16(4), 897-903., undefined, undefined
- Wu B., Lan T., lu D. and Liu Z. (2014)., Ecological and enzymatic responces to petroleum contamination., Environ. Sci. Processes Impacts, 16(6), 1501-1509.
- Banat I.M. (1995)., Biosurfactants production and possible uses in microbial enhanced oil recovery and oil pollution remediation: a review., Bioresource Technol., 51, 1-12.
- Desai J.D. and Banat I.M. (1997)., Microbial production of surfactants and their commercial potential., Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev., 61, 47-64.
- Pornsunthorntawee O., Wongpanit P., Chavadej S., Abe M. and Rujiravanit R. (2008)., Structural and physiochemical characterization of crude biosurfactant produced by Pseudomonas aeruginoa SP4 isolated from petroleum-contaminated soil., Biores. Technol., 99(6), 1589-1595.
- Kumar Manoj, León Vladimir, Materano Angela De Sisto and Luis Olaf A Ilzins Luis (2008)., Biosurfactant production and hydrocarbon degradation by halotolerant and thermo tolerant Pseudomonas sp., World. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 24(7), 1047-1057.
- Thavasi R., Jayalakshmi S., Balasubramanian T. and Ibrahim M.B. (2008)., Production and characterization of a glycolipid biosurfactant from Bacillus megaterium using economically cheaper sources., World. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 24(7), 917-925.
- Langewiesche William (2000)., The Shipbreakers., 286(2), 31-49. The Atlantic Monthly. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- 5 killed in Alang Port Shipbreaking yard blast in Gujarat. IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 28 June 2014., undefined, undefined
- Bushnell L.D. and Haas H.F. (1941)., The utilization of certain hydrocarbons by microorganisms., J Bacteriol., 41(5), 653-673.
- Edgar R.C. (2004)., MUSCLE: multiple sequence alignment with high accuracy and high throughput., Nucleic Acids Res., 32(5), 1792-1797.
- Dereeper A., Guignon V., Blanc G., Audic S., Buffet S., Chevenet F., Dufayard J.F., Guindon S., Lefort V., Lescot M., Claverie J.M. and Gascuel O. (2008)., Phylogeny.fr: robust phylogenetic analysis for the non-specialist., Nucleic Acids Res., 36(2), W465-W469.
- Lakshmi M.B., Muthukumar K. and Velan M. (2012)., Immobilization of mycoplana sp. mvmb2 isolated from petroleum contaminated soil onto papaya stem (carica papaya l.) and its application on degradation of phenanthrene., Clean-Soil Air Water, 40(8), 870-877.
- Wagner F. and Siegmund I. (1991)., New method for detecting rhamnolipids excreted by Pseudomonas species during growth on mineral agar., Biotechnol Techniques, 5(4), 265-268.
- Mulligan C., Cooper D. and Neufeld R. (1984)., Selection of microbes producing biosurfactants in media without hydrocarbons., J Fermentation Technol., 62(4), 311-314.
- Morikawa M., Hirata Y. and Imanaka T. (2000)., A study on the structure-function relationship of lipopeptidebiosurfactants., BiochimBiophysActa., 1488(3), 211-218.
- Lee H., Jain D., Collins-Thompson D. and Trevors J.T. (1991)., A drop-collapsing test for screening surfactant-producing microorganisms., J Microbiol Methods., 13(4), 271-279.
- El-Sheshtawy H.S., Aiad I., Osman M.E., Abo-ELnasr A.A. and Kobisy A.S. (2015)., Production of biosurfactant from Bacillus licheniformis for microbial enhanced oil recovery and inhibition the growth of sulphate reducing bacteria., Egypt J Pet, 24(2), 155-162.
- Cooper D. and Goldenberg B. (1987)., Surface-active agents from 2 Bacillus species., Appl Environ Microbiol., 53(2), 224-229.
- DuBois Michel, Gilles K. Ao, Hamilton J. Ko, Rebers PA t. and Smith Fred (1956)., Colorimetric method for determination of sugar and related substances., Anal. Chem., 28(3), 350-356.
- Smyth T.J.P., Perfumo A., Marchant R. and Banat I.M. (2010)., Isolation and analysis of low molecular weight microbial glycolipids., Handbook of Hydrocarbon and Lipid Microbiology, Springer, Berlin, 3705-3723. ISBN: 978–3–540–77584–3
- Das P., Mukherjee S. and Sen R. (2008)., Antimicrobial potential of a lipopeptidebiosurfactant derived from a marine Bacillus circulans., Journal of Applied Microbiology, 104(6), 1675-1684.
- Das P., Mukherjee S. and Sen R. (2008)., Improved bioavailability and biodegradation of a model polyaro¬matic hydrocarbon by a biosurfactant producing bacterium of marine origin., Chemosphere, 72(9), 1229-1234.
- Das P., Mukherjee S. and Sen R. (2009)., Antiadhesive action of a marine microbial surfactant., Colloids and Surfaces B-Biointeifaces, 71(2), 183-186.
- Yateem A., Balba M.T., Al-Shayji Y. and Al-Awadhi N. (2002)., Isolation and characterization of biosurfactant-producing bacteria from oilcontaminated soil., Soil Sediment Contam., 11, 41-55.
- Bodour A.A., Drees K.P. and Maier R.M. (2003)., Distribution of biosurfactant-producing bacteria in undisturbed and contaminated arid southwestern soils., Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 69(6), 3280-3287.
- Das K. and Mukherjee A.K. (2005)., Characterization of biochemical properties and biological activities of biosurfactants produced by Pseudomonas aeruginosamucoid and non-mucoid strains isolated from hydrocarbon-contaminated soil samples., Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 69(2), 192-199.
- Satpute S.K., Bhawsar B.D., Dhakephalkar P.K. and Chopade B.A. (2008)., Assessment of different screening methods for selecting biosurfactant producing marine bacteria., Ind. J. Mar. Sci., 37(3), 243-250.
- Mulligan C.N., Chow T.Y.K. and Gibbs B.F. (1989)., Enhanced biosurfactant production by a mutant Bacillus subtilis strain., Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 31(5), 486-489.
- Jain D.K., Lee H. and Trevors J.T. (1992)., Effect of addition of Pseudomonas aeruginosa UG2 inocula or biosurfactants on biodegradation of selected hydrocarbons in soil., J. Ind. Microbiol., 10(2), 87-93.
- Aparna A., Srinikethan G. and Smitha H. (2012)., Production and characterization of biosurfactant produced by a novel Pseudomonas sp. 2B., Colloids Surf B., 95, 23-29.