Bio-medical waste (BMW) generation and their effects on adjacent environment
- 1Department of Environmental Science, VBS Purvanchal University, Jaunpur-222003 India
- 2Department of Environmental Science, VBS Purvanchal University, Jaunpur-222003 India
- 3Department of Biotechnology, MHPG College, Jaunpur-222003 India
- 4Department of Environmental Science, BBAU, Lucknow India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 6, Issue (7), Pages 1-8, July,22 (2017)
The present study was based on BMW from Health Care Units (HCUs) at Jaunpur city-India, during 2013 to 2015 year. Out of 48 HCUs, maximum BMW (37.2 Kg day-1) was generated by orthopedic-HCUs followed by surgical, gynecology and cardio; while total BMWs generation was about 98 Kg day-1 and mostly BMW were dumped in low line area. Results of physio-chemical, elemental and bacterial analysis of BMW-leachate were significantly influenced by seasonal variation. Concentration of metals were observed as Ca>Cu>N&
- Baveja G., Muralidhar S. and Aggarwal P. (2000)., Hospital Waste Management – an overview., Hospital Today, 5-9, 485-486.
- Rutala W.A., Weber D.J. (2014)., Disinfection, sterilization and control of hospital waste., Mandell, Douglas and Bennett. Principles and practice of infectious diseases (6th ed.), Elsevier Churchill Livingstone Publication, 3331-3347.
- Nugget Info (2003)., Hospital Waste Management and Bio-degradable Waste., Government of India, Press Information Bureau, http://pib.nic.in/infonug/infaug.99/i3008991.html – downloaded on 18.05.2003.
- Notification: Bio-medical Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 1998. Ministry of Environment and Forests, GOI (E), part 3(ii), New Delhi. 27.07.1998., undefined, undefined
- Biomedical Wastes, http://www.swachdelhi.comNew.htm; 2004., undefined, undefined
- Salami L., Olafadehan O.A., Babagana G. and Susu A.A. (2013)., Prediction of concentration profiles of contaminants in groundwater polluted by leachates from a landfill site., International Journal of Research and Reviews in Applied Sciences, 15(3), 365-378.
- DeRosa E., Rubel D., Tudino M., Viale A. and Lombardo R.J. (1996)., The leachate composition of an old waste dump connected to groundwater: Influence of the reclamation works., Environmental Monitoring Assessment, (40), 239-252.
- Saarela J. (2003)., Pilot investigation of surface parts of three closed landfills and factors affecting them., Environmental Monitoring Assessment, 84(1-2), 183-192.
- Moo-Yound H., Johnson A., Carson D., Lew C., Liu S. and Hancock K. (2004)., Characterization of infiltration rates from landfills: Supporting groundwater modeling effort., Environmental Monitoring Assessment, 96(1-3), 283-311.
- Jhamnani B. and Singh S.K. (2009)., Groundwater contamination due to Bhaswa landfill site in New Delhi., International Journal of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 1(3), 121-125.
- Renou S., Givaudan J.G., Poulain S., Dirassouyan F. and Moulin P. (2008)., Landfill leachate treatment review and opportunity., Journal of Hazardous Materials, 150(3), 468-493.
- Mor S., Ravindra K., Dahiya R.P. and Chandra A. (2006)., Leachate characterization and assessment of groundwater pollution near municipal solid waste landfill site., Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 118, 435-456.
- Ogundiran O.O. and Afolabi T.A. (2008)., Assessment of the Physico-chemical parameters and heavy metal toxicity of leachates from municipal solid waste open dumpsite., Int. J. Environ. Sci. Tech, 5(2), 243-250.
- Gupta S.P., Statistical Methods, 24th ed. Revised & Enlarged S. Chand & Sons, (1998), New Delhi. 110 002., undefined, undefined
- APHA (2005)., Standard methods for the examination of water and waste water., 20th Edn. APHA, AWWA, WPCF, Washington, USA.
- Mani A.K., Santhi R. and Sellamuthu K.M. (2007)., A handbook of laboratory analysis., 1st edition, A.E. Publications, Sundaram, P.N. Pudur, Coimbatore, 10, 156-167.
- Upadhyay S.K., Singh D.P. and Saikia R. (2009)., Genetic Diversity of Plant Growth Promoting Rhizobacteria Isolated from Rhizospheric Soil of Wheat under Saline Condition., Current Microbiology, 59(5), 489-496.
- Ogbulie J.N., Uwazuoke J.C. and Ogieho S.I. (1998)., Introductory Microbiology Practical., Springfield Publishers Nigeria, 70-120.
- Cheesbrough M. (2003)., Water quality analysis. District Laboratory practice in Tropical countries (2) Cambridge University Press., United Kingdom, 146-157.
- Oyeleke S.B. and Istifanus N. (2009)., The microbiological effects of hospital wastes on the environment., African Journal of Biotechnology, 8(22), 6253-6257.
- ISO 7346/1: Water quality- Determination of acute lethal toxicity of substances to a freshwater fish (Brachydanio rerio Hamilton-Buchanan (Teleostei, Cypinidae) – Part 1: Static method 1984., undefined, undefined
- Francioso O., Ciavatta C., Sanche-Cortes S., Tugnoli V., Sitti L. and Gessa C. (2000)., Spectroscopic characterization of soil organic matter in long-term amendments trials., Soil Sci., 165(6), 495-504.
- Upadhyay S.K. and Singh D.P. (2015)., Effect of salt-tolerant plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria on wheat plants and soil health in a saline environment., Plant Biology, 17, 288-293.
- Correll D.L. (1998)., The Role of Phosphorus in the Eutrophication of Receiving Waters: A Review., Journal of Environmental Quality, 27, 261-266.
- Kulikowska D. and Klimiuk E. (2008)., The effect of landfill age on municipal leachate composition., Bioresource Technology, 99(13), 5981-5985.
- Drummond J.L., Cailasb M.D. and Croke K. (2003)., Mercury generation potential from dental waste amalgam., J Dentist, 31, 493-501.
- WHO (2004)., Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality., 3rd Edn., 1, Recommendation, Geneva, 515.
- Anonymous: Categorization of biological agents according to hazard and containment. 4th ed. Second supplement (1995). Available from: URL: http://www.hse.gov. uk.hthdir/noframes/agent/pdf., undefined, undefined
- Anonymous (2000)., Guidelines for protecting the safety and health of health workers., NIOSH / Health Care Workers guidelines. National Institute for Occupational safety and Health, Washington DC: US Government office, Chap 6.
- Ogundiran M.A., Fawole O.O., Adewoye S.O. and Ayandiran T.A. (2010)., Toxicological impact of detergent effluent on juvenile of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus)., Agric. Biol. J. N. Am, 1(3), 330-342.
- Hingston J.A., Collins C.D., Murphy R.J., and Lester J.N. (2001)., Leaching of chromate copper, arsenate wood preservatives, a review., Environmental Pollution, 111(1), 53-66.
- Shrivastava R., Upreti R.K., Seth P.K. and Chaturvedi U.C. (2002)., Effects of chromium on the immune system., Pathogens and Disease, 34(1), 1-7.
- Gaetke L.M. and Chow C.K. (2003)., Copper toxicity, oxidative stress, and antioxidant nutrients., Toxicology, 189(1-2), 147-163.
- Plum L.M. and Haase R.H. (2010)., The Essential Toxin: Impact of Zinc on Human Health., Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 7(4), 1342-1365.
- Stohs S.J., Bagchi D., Hassoun E. and Bagchi M. (2001)., Oxidative mechanisms in the toxicity of chromium and cadmium ions., J. Environ. Pathol. Toxicol. Oncol, 20(2), 77-88.
- Flora G., Gupta D. and Tiwari A. (2012)., Toxicity of lead: A review with recent updates., Interdiscip Toxicol, 5(2), 47-58.
- Adewoye S.O., Fawole O.O., Omotosho J.S. and Owolabi O.D. (2005)., Toxicity of cassava a waste water effluents to African catfish (Clarias gariepinus)., Ethiop. J. Sci, 28(2), 189-194.
- Roopadevi H. and Somashekar R.K. (2012)., Assessment of the toxicity of waste water from a textile industry to Cyprinus carpio., J. Environ. Biol, 13, 167-171.