Groundwater analysis of Mayiladuthurai, Nagapattinam district, Tamilnadu, India nearby municipal solid waste dumpsite
- 1Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli, India
- 2Department of Chemistry, Thiru. Vi. Ka. Government Arts College, Thiruvarur, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 6, Issue (11), Pages 10-15, November,22 (2017)
Ground Water samples from various bore wells of different points from the open dumpsite of Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) of Mayiladuthurai, Tamilnadu, India were taken to find the impact of leachate flow on groundwater quality by physico chemical analysis. Parameters like, Iron, Nitrate, Sulphate, Fluoride, Phosphate, Chemical Oxygen Demand were determined. These values were compared with permissible limit. Higher value were found in water sample near the dumpsite area when compared to other site. Mild to high Iron concentration found in most samples, which are higher than Indian standard limit of 1.0mg. The higher value of COD indicates inorganic chemicals pollute that ground water. Therefore, the soil parameters in study area have some influenced leachate migration.
- Abdelwaheb A., Moncef Z. and Hamed B.D. (2012)., Landfill Leachate Generation and Its Impact on Water at an Urban Landfill (Jebel Chakir, Tunisia)., Hydrology Current Research, 3(2), 1-5. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.4172/ 2157-7587.1000128.
- Reinhart D.R. and Grosh C.J. (1998)., Analysis of Florida MSW landfill leachate quality., Analysis of Florida MSW landfill leachate quality. University of Central Florida/CEED., http://www.bvsde.paho.org/ bvsacd/cd48/ analysis-florida.pdf, July 1998.
- Tazi H. (2001)., Déchets solides: Etude d'impact sur l'Environnement (sol, eaux souterraines) et traitement par voie de compostage., Thesis, University El Jadida, Morocco, 224.
- Chofqi A., Younsi A., Lhadi E.K., Mania J., Mudry J. and Veron A. (2004)., Environmental impact of an urban landfill on a coastalaquifer (El Jadida, Morocco)., Journal of African Earth Sciences, 39, 509-516. doi:10.1016/ j.jafrearsci.2004.07.013.
- Seo D.J., Kim Y.J., Ham S.Y. and Lee D.H. (2007)., Characterization of dissolved organic matter in leachate discharged from final disposal sites, which contained municipal solid waste incineration residues., Journal of Hazardous Materials, 148, 679-692. doi:10.1016/j.jhazmat. 2007.03.027.
- Mondol E.F., Hasan M.R., Rahman M.S., Alam S. and Rahman S.A. (2013)., Solid waste management strategy & improvement of existing scenario based on market waste., Global Journal of Research In Engineering, 13(2), 1-4.
- Singh U.K., Kumar M., Chauhan R., Jha P.K., Ramanathan A.L. and Subramanian V. (2008)., Assessment of the impact of landfill on groundwater quality, A case study of the Pirana site in western India., Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 141, 309-321. doi: 10.1007/s10661-007-9897-6.
- Dissanayake P., Clemett A., Jayakody P. and Amarasinghe P. (2007)., Report on Water Quality Survey and Pollution in Kurunegala, Sri Lanka., http://publications.iwmi.org/ pdf/H041013.pdf. 2007.
- Ogedengbe K. and Akinbile C.O. (2004)., Impact of Industrial Pollutants on Quality of Ground and Surface waters at Oluyole Industrial Estate, Ibadan, Nigeria., Nigerian Journal of Technology Development, 4(2), 139-144.
- Shyamala R., Shanthi M. and Lalitha P. (2008)., Physicochemical Analysis of Borewell Water Samples of Telungupalayam Area in Coimbatore District, Tamilnadu, India., E-Journal of Chemistry, 5(4), 924-929. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2008/152383.
- Pande G., Sinha A. and Agrawal S. (2015)., Impacts of Leachate Percolation on Ground Water Quality:A Case Study of Dhanbad City., Global NEST Journal, 17(1), 162-174.
- Srinivasamoorthy K., Chidambaram S., Sarma V.S., Vasanthavigar M., Vijayaraghavan K., Rajivgandhi R. and Manivannan R. (2009)., Hydro geochemical Characterization of Groundwater in Salem District of Tamilnadu, India., Research Journal of Environment and Earth Science, 1(2), 22-33.
- Akinbile C.O. and Yusoff M.S. (2011)., Environmental Impact of Leachate Pollution on Groundwater Supplies in Akure, Nigeria., International Journal of Environmental Science and Development, 2(1), 81-86.
- Musa J.J. (2014)., Effect of Domestic Waste Leachates on Quality Parameters of Groundwater., Leonardo Journal of Sciences, 17(24), 28-38.
- Bussey K.W. and of specific conductance, boron, and phosphorus in a sewage-contaminated aquifer near Ashumet Pond, Cape Cod, Massachusetts., 96-472, US Geological Survey; Walter D.A. (1996)., Spatial and temporal distribution Branch of Information Services [distributor], https://pubs.usgs.gov/of/1996/0472/report.pdf.