Qualitative analysis of socio-environmental factors of sand mining on Mithri Tributary of Luni River at Kosana, Pipar Jodhpur Dist. of Rajasthan, India
- 1Department of Civil Engineering, MBM Engineering College, JNVU Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India
- 2MBM Engineering College, JNVU Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 6, Issue (10), Pages 22-31, October,22 (2017)
The study conducted in Mithri River which is the tributary of Luni River situated in Kosana village of Jodhpur district, Rajasthan shows that socio-environmental situation due to sand mining is in controlled condition except for the disturbance of land profile. Indiscriminate and illegal sand mining has created negative impacts on land use, deforestation and fauna diversity. Mining activities and piling of mined sand near the river bank is affecting the natural topography of the River bed. In this study, the difference expected to occur in livelihood and community standards of the study area.
- Ashraf, Muhammad Aqeel, Maah Mohd Jamil, Yusoff Ismail, Wajid Abdul and Mahmood Karamat (2011)., Sand mining effects, causes and concerns: A case study from Bestari Jaya, Selangor, Peninsular Malaysia., Scientific Research and Essays, 6(6), 1216-1231.
- Padmalal D. and Arun P.R. (1998)., Sand budget of Periyar river: special reference to river sand mining., Centre for Earth Science Studies, Thiruvananthapuram, 55.
- Padmalal D., Maya K., Sreebha S. and Sreeja R. (2008)., Environmental effects of river sand mining: a case from the river catchments of Vembanad lake, Southwest coast of India., Environmental geology, 54(4), 879-889.
- Sreebha Sreedharan and Padmalal Damodaran (2011)., Environmental impact assessment of sand mining from the small catchment rivers in the southwestern coast of India: a case study., Environmental management, 47(1), 130-40.
- Padmalal D. and Maya K. (2014)., Impacts of river sand mining., Sand Mining (Springer), 31-56.
- Padmalal D. and Maya K. (2014)., Sand Mining: The World Scenario., Sand Mining (Springer), 57-80.
- Arun P.R., Sreeja R., Sreebha S., Maya K. and Padmalal D. (2006)., River sand mining and its impact on physical and biological environments of Kerala Rivers, Southwest Coast of India., Eco-chronicle, 1, 1-6.
- Adedeji O.H., Adebayo H.O. and Sotayo E.I. (2014)., Assessing environmental impacts of inland sand mining in parts of Ogun State, Nigeria., Ethiopian Journal of Environmental Studies and Management, 7(5), 478-487.
- Apaydın Ahmet (2012)., Dual impact on the groundwater aquifer in the Kazan Plain (Ankara, Turkey): sand–gravel mining and over-abstraction., Environmental Earth Sciences, 65, 241-255.
- Saviour Naveen M. (2012)., Environmental impact of soil and sand mining: a review., International Journal of Science, Environment and Technology, 1, 125-134.
- Leeuw Jan de, Shankman David, Wu Guofeng, Boer Willem Frederik de, Burnham James, He Qing, Yesou Herve and Xiao Jing (2010)., Strategic assessment of the magnitude and impacts of sand mining in Poyang Lake, China., Regional Environmental Change, 10, 95-102.
- Kim Chul (2005)., Impact analysis of river aggregate mining on river environment., KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 9(1), 45-48.
- Hemalatha A.C., Chandrakanth Mysore G. and Nagaraj N. (2005)., Effect of sand mining on groundwater depletion in Karnataka., Proceedings of the V international RandD conference of the central board of irrigation and power. Bengaluru, 1-15.
- Kondolf G.M. (1994)., Environmental planning in regulation and management of instream gravel mining in California., Landscape and Urban planning, 29(2-3), 185-919.
- KONDOLF MATHIAS G. (1993)., The Reclamation Concept in Regulation of Gravel Mining in California., Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 36(3), 397-408.
- Santo E. and Sánchez L. (2002)., GIS applied to determine environmental impact indicators made by sand mining in a floodplain in southeastern Brazil., Environmental geology, 41(6), 628-637.
- Simons D.B. and Lagasse P.F. (1976)., Impact of dredging on river system morphology., Proceedings of Conference Rivers ‘76, American Society of Civil Engineers, 435-457.
- Kumar A. and Kumar N. (2014)., Floristic Diversity Assessment in River Sand Mining near Palri Bhoptan Village, Kishangarh Tehsil, Ajmer District, Rajasthan, India., Asian Journal of Earth Sciences, 7(2), 51-59.