A Comparative Study of Quality Parameters of Water and Soil Samples from Automobile Workshop Areas at Kumbakonam, TN, India
- 1Department of Chemistry, Government Arts College, Ariyalur-621 713, Tamil Nadu, India
- 2Department of Chemistry, Meenaakshi Ramasamy Arts & Science College, MR-Kalvi Nagar, Thathanur-621 804, Tamil Nadu, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (6), Pages 26-29, June,22 (2016)
Water and soil is the most important natural resources for human being. The water and soil may be affected due to the large growth of natural (decomposed vegetables and animals, etc.,) and anthropogenic processes (Industrial, Agricultural, Domestic, Pesticides, etc.,) in the study areas. In the present studies were assessed to compare the quality parameters of water and the corresponding soil samples collected from the automobile work shop areas at Kumbakonam. The soil and water samples were analyzed by the quality parameters viz., Temperature, pH, Total hardness (TH), Total alkalinity, Electrical conductivity (EC), Total dissolved solid (TDS) and Dissolved oxygen (DO). The heavy metals such as Iron and Lead for the water and soil samples were also to be carried out and compare with the standards. The results indicate that all the parameters slightly deviate from the standards given by the WHO and EPA.
- Jintao Liang, Cuicui Chen and Xiuli Song, (2011)., Assessment of heavy metal pollution in soil and plat from dunhua sewage irrigation area., Inter. J. Electrochemical. Sci., 6, 5314-5324.
- Sui Hong-jian, Wu Xuan and Cui Yan-shi (2006)., Modeling heavy metal movement in soil review and further study direction., J. Agricultural Engine., 22, 197-200.
- Osundiya M. O., Ayejuyo O. O., R. A. Olowu, Bamgboye O. A. and gunlola A. O. (2014)., Bioaccumulation of heavy metals in frequently consumed leafy vegetable grown along Nigeria-Benin Seme Border, West Africa., Advances in Applied Science Research, 5(1), 1-7.
- Zhang Miao (2011)., Report to the world economy., Sina, http://www.sina.com.cn. 2011, 21, 11, 14.
- Annalakshmi G. and Amsath A. (2012)., An assessment of water quality of river Cauvery and its tributaries arasalar with reference to physico-chemical parameters at Tanjore Dt, Tamil Nadu., Int. Jour. Applied Bio and Pharmaceutical Technology, 3(1), 269-279.
- Eva Singovszka and Magdalena Balintova (2014)., Application of comprehensive assessment model on heavy metal pollution in sediment., 29(11).
- Vignesh S., Dahms HU., Emmanuel KV., Gokul MS., Muthukumar K., Kim BR. and James RA. (2014)., Physicochemical parameters aid microbial community: A case study from marine recreational beaches, Southern India., Environ Monit and Assess, 186 (3), 1875 – 1887.
- Amir H. Charkhabi, Mohamad Sakizadeh and Gholamreza Rafiee (2005)., Seasonal Fluctuation in Heavy Metal Pollution in Iran, Environ Sci & Pollut Res, 12 (5) 264 – 270.
- Pourang N., Nikouyan A. and Dennis J.H. (2005)., Trace element concentrations in fish, surficial sediments and water from northern part of the Persian Gulf., Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 109, 293–316.
- Dhanakumar S., Rutharvel Murthy K., Solaraj G. and Mohanraj R. (2013)., Heavy-Metal Fractionation in Surface Sediments of the Cauvery GW Estuarine Region, Southeastern Coast of India., Arch Environ Contam Toxicol, 65 (1), 14 – 23.
- Abrahams PW (2002)., Soils: Their implications to human health., Sci. of the Total Environ. 291, 1-32.
- Adriano DC (1986)., Trace elements in the terrestrial environment., Springer- Verlag, New York. Alloway BJ, Heavy Metals in Soils, 2nd Edn., 368.
- Alloway B.J. (1995)., Heavy metals in soils., 2nd Edn., ISBN-0-7514-0198-6.
- Alloway BJ (1995)., Cadmium., Heavy metals in soils, 2nd Edn., pp.122-151,
- Bozkurt S., Moreno L. and Neretnieks I. (2000)., Long-term processes in waste deposits., Sci. Total Environ, 250(1-3), 101-12.
- Roy Y. and Kumar R. A., (2002)., a study of water quality of the rivers of Ranchi district., Ind. J. Environ. Protec, 21(5), 398-402.
- Edema M.O., Omemu A.M. and Fapetu O.M. (2001)., Microbiology and Physicochemical Analysis of different sources of drinking water in Abeokuta, Nigeria., Niger. J. Microbiol., 15(1), 57-61.