Temporal and Spatial Variations of the Atmospheric Temperature in the Northern Province of Sri Lanka
- 1Department of Geography, University of Jaffna, Sri Lanka
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (5), Pages 63-67, May,22 (2016)
Atmospheric temperature is the important phenomenon that determines and changes the weather pattern of a place. Studies regarding the climates of the Northern Province of Sri Lanka are very less compared to other disciplines. But climate influences all aspects in the Northern Province of Sri Lanka. In this context the main objective of this paper is to identify the spatial and temporal patterns of the temperature of the northern region of Sri Lanka. Data related to temperature of the study area have been collected from Department of Meteorology, from all available stations of the Northern Province of Sri Lanka from 1972 to 2014. Data from the Statistical Handbook of the Planning branch of the Northern Provincial Council also helped to contact this study. Data have been analyzed using excel work sheet and results were mapped using ARC GIS 9.1 version. Average mean temperature of the study area is 28.4 degree Celsius. But it varies from month to month, season to season and place to place. Seasonally the highest air temperature is recorded during the South West Monsoon Season and the lowest air temperature is recorded during the North East Monsoon Season. The hottest month of the study area is July and the coolest month is December. Spatially the western part of the study area receives the higher extent of temperature than the eastern part of the study area.
- Manawadu L. and Nelum Fernando. (2008)., Climate Change in Sri Lanka., Review Journal of the University of Colombo, 1(2).
- Piratheeparajah N. (2010)., Increasing Temperature in the Jaffna District of Sri Lanka., Proceeding of the 3rd National Geographic Conference. University of Ruhunu, Matara, 23
- World Meteorological Organization. (2015)., Reports of World Meteorological Organization., RWMO
- Northern Provincial Council. (2014)., Reports Data and Statements. Department of Irrigation of Northern Province,, Jaffna.
- Sri Lanka Meteorological Service. (2014)., Reports Data and Statements. Department of Meteorology,, Colombo.
- North Eastern Provincial Council. (2014)., Statistical Hand Books. Northern Provincial Council., Northern Province, Jaffna.