Land Use / Land Cover Changes and Urban Expansion in Jammu city, India and its surroundings
- 1Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Jammu, Jammu, J and K, India
- 2Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Jammu, Jammu, J and K, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (5), Pages 32-40, May,22 (2016)
Rapid, unplanned urbanization affects the existing land use patterns at a fast rate, which generally leads to changes that are unsustainable. Jammu, one of the two capital cities of the state of Jammu and Kashmir has experienced an rapid expansion of urban area during the last three decades. This paper seeksto detect, quantify and analyze these land use changes using Remote Sensing (RS) and Geographical Information Systems (GIS). This was done by conducting a multi-temporal study for Jammu city and its surrounding areas for the years 1989, 2000 and 2014 using Landsat data. Visual interpretation of satellite imagery was used to produce three maps of land use categories and the corresponding statistics. The changes occurring during the last 25 years were estimated using GIS tools. The over-all changes show that the built-up area has increased significantly at the cost of agricultural and other land use classes like scrub. Importantly, the study shows that the unplanned urbanisation has had an alarming impact on the seasonal stream beds that have been engulfed in the expanding built-up class. In conclusion, RS and GIS technologies can be used to assist decision makers to monitor implementation of plans and prepare future plans in accordance with the principles of sustainability and environmental conservation.
- Census of India (2011)., Provisional Population Totals, Chapter 3. 40.
- World Urbanization Prospects, The 2014 Revision (2014)., Department of Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations, New York., ISBN 978-92-1-151517-6.
- Herbert D.T. and Thomas C.J. (1990)., Cities in Space, City as Place, London., David Fulton Publishers.
- Timar J. (1992)., The main features of suburbanisation in the Great Hungarian Plain., Landscape and Urban Planning, 22, 177-187.
- Pivo G. (1996)., Toward sustainable urbanization on main street Cascadia., Cities, 13(5), 339-354.
- Li Y., Yeung S.C. and Seabrooke W. (2005)., Urban planning and sustainable development under transitional economy: a case study of Guangzhou., International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology, 12, 300-313.
- Shankarnarayan K.A. and Sen A.K. (1997)., The methodology of mapping land resources for rational utilization., (In: Desertification and its Control. ICAR, New Delhi, 77-80.).
- Candau J., Rasmussen S. and Clarke K.C. (2000)., A coupled cellular automaton model for land use/land cover dynamics., 4th International Conference on Integrating GIS and Environmental Modeling (GIS/EM4): Problems, Prospects and Research Needs. Banff, Alberta, Canada, September 2-8. No. 94.
- Lillesand T.M. and Keifer R.W. (2002)., Remote Sensing and Image Interpretation, 4th ed., John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Ghorbani A. and Pakravan M. (2013)., Land use mapping usingvisual vs digital image interpretation of TM and Google Earth derived imagery in Shrivan-Darasi watershed (Northwest of Iran)., European Journal of Experimental Biology, 3(10), 576-582.
- Belaid M.A. (2003)., Urban-rural land use change detection and analysis using GIS and RS technologies., TS8 Geographic Information and Planning. 2nd FIG Regional Conference, Marrakech, Morocco, December 2-5, 2003.
- Bhat G.M., Pandita S.K., Singh R., Malik M.A. and Sarkar S. (1999)., Northwest Himalayan Successions along Jammu-Srinagar Transect (Field Guide), Indian Association of Sedimentologists, Aligarh.
- Singh Ashbindu. (1989)., Digital change detection techniques using remotely-sensed data., International Journal of Remote Sensing, 10(6), 989-1003.
- Vasudeva V. (2015)., Unregulated urbanisation to blame for Chennai flooding: CSE experts., The Hindu newspaper, accessed 29-01-2016. m.thehindu.com/news/ cities/chennai/unregulated-urbanisation-to-blame-for-chennai-flooding-cse-experts/article7945813.ece.
- Kundu A. (2003)., Urbanisation and Urban Governance., Search for a perspective beyond Neo-Liberalism. Economic and Political Weekly, July 19, 3079-3087.
- Anonymous (2015)., Economic Survey 2014-15, Vol-I, Directorate of Economics and Statistics, J and K.
- Anonymous (2016)., Official website of Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board., https://www.maavaishnodevi.org/shrine-board.aspx accessed 05-02-2016.
- Rao U.R. (1996). Population Dynamics and Management of Urban Environment. 47thCongress, International Astronautical Federation-Special Plenary Session, Beijing, undefined