Adsorptive removal of Methylene blue using Azadirachta Indica (Neem) Leaf
- 1Auditor – Social Compliance, TGT Asia Sourcing, BANGLADESH
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (1), Pages 21-24, January,22 (2016)
The use of eco friendly and low cost adsorbents were studied as an alternative substitution of activated carbon for removal of dyes from wastewater. Laboratory investigation was done to identify the effectiveness of Azadirecta indica leaves (Neem) to remove methylene blue from aqueous solution. Neem leaves were dried in a thermostatic oven at 105oC for 24 hours. These leaves ground into fine powder with 10-15um mesh size. 1 gm/ 10 lt, 2 gm/ 10 lt, 3 gm/ 10 lt, 4 gm/ 10 lt and 5 gm/ 10 lt working solution were prepared by serial dilution of stock solution. It was noted that percentage of adsorption increased from 43.2% to 80.1% with increased amount of adsorbent. Langmuir adsorption isotherm was applied and R2 value was calculated which shows, Langmuir adsorption is a good fit for the experimental data. The result shows that the 80.1 % colour removal efficiency was achieved at the dose of 5 gm/10lt.
- Allen S.J., McKay G. and Porter J.F. (2004)., Adsorptionisotherm models for basic dye adsorption by peat insingle and binary component systems., J. ColloidInterface Sci. 280(2), 322–333.
- Webber E. and Wolfe N.L. (1987)., Kinetics studies ofreduction of aromatic azo compounds in anaerobicsediment/water systems., Environ Toxicol Chem, 6, 911-920.
- McKay G., Otterburn M.S. and Sweeney A.G. 1985., Fullers earth and fired clay as adsorbents for dye stuffs–Equilibrium and rate studies, Water Air Soil Pollut, 24,147-161.
- Robinson T., McMullan G., Marchant R. and Nigam P.(2001)., Remediation of dyes in textile effluent; a criticalreview on current treatment technologies with a proposedalternative., BioresourTechnol, 77, 247-255.
- Rana J. and Singh L. (2014)., A comparative adsorptionstudies on rice husk ash, activated rice husk and neemleaves by using methylene blue as dye. J. Chem MaterRes. 1(3), 60?64.
- Pandhare G.G., Trivedi N., Rajesh Pathrabe R. andDawande S.D. (2013)., Adsorption of color from a stocksolution using neem leaves powder as a low-costadsorbent., Int J. Eng Sci and Emerg Tech, 5(2), 97-103.
- Arafath M.A., Hossain M., Alam S.S. and Sourav R.(2013)., Studies on adsorption efficiency and kinetics ofdye removal from textile effluent using some natural bioadsorbent., Int J. Sci Eng Tech, 2(9), 853-856.
- Mittal A., Malviya A., Kaur D., Mittal J. and Kurup L.(2007)., Studies on the adsorption kinetics and isothermsfor the removal and recovery of Methyl Orange fromwastewaters using waste materials., J. Hazard, Mater,148, 229-240.
- Anjanyeulu Y., Sreedhara N., Chary D. and Samuel S.R.2005., De-colourization of industrial effluents-availablemethods and emerging technologies- A review, Rev.Environ. Sci. Biotechno, 4, 245-273.
- Bhattacharyya K.G. and Sharma A., 2005., Kinetics andthermodynamics of methylene blue adsorption onneemleaf powder., Dyes and Pigments, 65, 51-59.
- Walker G.M. and Weatherley L.R. (1998)., Fixed bedadsorption of acid dyes onto activated Carbon., Env Pollu.99, 133-136 .
- Arafath M.A., Hossain M., Alam S.S. and Sourav R.(2013)., Studies on adsorption efficiency and kinetics ofdye removal from textile effluent using some natural bioadsorbent., Int. J. of Sci Eng and Tech, 2(9), 853-856.
- Durairaj S. and Durairaj S. (2012)., Colour removal fromtextile industry wastewater using low cost adsorbents., IntJ. of Che, Env and Pharm Res, 3(1), 52-57.
- Gopalakrishnan S., Kannadasan T., Velmurugan S.,Muthu S. and Vinoth K.P. (2013)., Biosorption ofchromium (VI) from industrial effluent using neem leafadsorbent., Res. J. Chem. Sci., 3(4), 48-53.
- Namasivayam C., Muniasamy N., Gayatri K., Rani M.and Ranganathan K. (1996)., Removal of dyes fromaqueous solution by cellulosic waste orange peel., Bioresour Tech, 57, 37-43.
- Namasivayam C., Prabha D. and Kumutha M. (1998)., Removal of direct red andacid brillant blue byadsorptiononto banana pith., Bioresour Tech, 64, 77-79.
- Kavitha K. and Senthamilselvi M.M. (2014)., Adsorptiveremoval of methylene blue using the natural adsorbentVitexnegundo Stem., Int J. Curr Res Aca Rev, 2(9), 270–280.