Physico-chemical analysis of groundwater of the Budhi Gandak belt in Muzaffarpur district, India
- 1 University Department of Chemistry, B.R. Ambedkar Bihar University, Muzaffarpur – 842001, Bihar, INDIA.
- 2University Department of Chemistry, B.R. Ambedkar Bihar University, Muzaffarpur – 842001, Bihar, INDIA.
- 3 University Department of Chemistry, B.R. Ambedkar Bihar University, Muzaffarpur – 842001, Bihar, INDIA.
- 4 University Department of Chemistry, B.R. Ambedkar Bihar University, Muzaffarpur – 842001, Bihar, INDIA.
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 1, Issue (1), Pages 7-11, August,22 (2012)
The present investigation was carried out to analyse water samples from bored tube wells at different sites along the Budhi Gandak belt from Kanti to Motipur in Muzaffarpur district of Bihar state during winter season (January and February) of 2012. Parameters such as pH, conductivity, TDS, DO, total hardness, alkalinity, sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium and chloride as well as heavy metals such as Cu, Zn, Fe and As have been studied. TDS of some samples exceeded the maximum permissible limit of WHO. Iron was also found much above the maximum permissible limit of WHO in almost all the samples. Some water samples along Budhi Gandak belt under study had arsenic contamination which even exceeded the maximum permissible limit of WHO. The arsenic contamination in the groundwater of this area is a serious concern for human health.
- Kumar T.J.R., Balasubramanian A., Kumar R.S. and Manoharan K., Groundwater Hydrogeochemical Characterization of Chittar sub Basin, Tambaraparani river, Tiirunelveli District, Tamil Nadu, Nature Environment and Pollution Technology, 9(1), 133-140 (2010)
- Trivedy P.R. and Gurdeep Raj, Encyclopedia of environmental science. Akashdeep publishing house, New Delhi, 12, 1279-95 (1992)
- Parikh Ankita N. and Mankodi P.C., Limnology of of Sama pond, Vadodara city, Gujarat, Res. J. Rec. Sci., 1 (1), 16-21 (2012)
- Murhekar Gopalkrushna Haribhau, Trace metal contamination of surface water samples in and around Akot city in Maharashtra, India, Res. J. Rec. Sci., 1 (7), 5-9 (2012)
- Parihar S.S., Kumar Ajit, Kumar Ajay, Gupta R.N., Pathak Manoj, Shrivastav Archana and Pandey A.C., Physico-chemical an microbiological analysis of underground water in and around Gwalior city, MP, India, Res. J. Rec. Sci., 1 (6), 62-65 (2012)
- Nwajei G.E., Obi-Iyeke G.E. and Okwagi P., Distribution of selected trace metal in fish parts from the river Nigeria, Res. J. Rec. Sci., 1 (1), 81-84 (2012)
- Mumtazuddin S., Azad A.K., Kumar M. and Gautam A.K., Determination of physico-chemical parameters in some ground water samples at Muzaffarpur town, Asian Journal of Chemical and Environmental Research, 2(1-2), 18-20 (2009)
- Mumtazuddin S., Azad A.K. and Kumar M., Assessment of Water Quality of Budhi Gandak River at Muzaffarpur, Bihar, India, Int. J. Chem. Sci., 7(4), 2429-2433 (2009)
- Mumtazuddin S., Azad A. K. and Prabhat Bharti, Assessment of physico- chemical parameters and heavy metals in some groundwater samples at Muzaffarpur Town during pre-monsoon, Biospectra, 6 (2), 129-135 (2011)
- Mumtazuddin S., Azad A.K., Kaushal Kabir, Kanhaiya Jee and Amjad Ali, Water quality assessment of Oxbow lake of Sikanderpur at Muzaffarpur town in Bihar state in the month of September, 2011, J. Chemtracks, 13(2), 379-384 (2011)
- APHA, Standard Methods of Examination of Water and Wastewater, 19th ed., American Public Health Association, Washington DC (1996)
- De A.K., Environmental Chemistry. 7th ed., New Age International Publishers, N. Delhi (2010)
- EPA, Quality Criteria for Water, Environmental Protection Agency, Washington DC, USA (1976)
- Definitions of pH scales, standard reference values, measurement of pH, and related terminology, Pure Appl. Chem., 57pp, 531–542 (1985)
- Ramadevi P. et al, The study of water quality of Ponnamaravathy in Pudukkottai district, Tamil Nadu, Nature, Environment, and Pollution, Technology, 8 (1), 91-94 (2009)
- Davies S.N. and De Wiest R.J.M., Hydrogeology, John Wiley and Sons, Inc, New York (1996)
- Shrivastava A.K., A review on copper pollution and its removal from water bodies by Pollution Control Technology, IJEP, 29 (6), 552-560 (2009)
- Abbasi S.A., Abbasi Naseema and Soni Rajendra, Heavy Metals in the Environment, Mittal Publication (1998)
- Adak M.D. and Purohit K.M., Assessment of the water quality in Rajgangpur Industrial Complex – II: Metallic parameters, Pollution research, 20 (4), 575 (2001)
- Korte N.E., and Fernando Q., A review of arsenic(III) in groundwater, Critical Reviews in Environmental Control21(1), 1-39 (1991)
- Khan H.R., Management of groundwater resources for irrigation in Bangladesh, FAO, (1994)
- Bhattacharya P. and Mukherjee A.B., Management of arsenic contaminated groundwater in the Bengal Delta Plain. In conference on Management of Water Resources (eds Chatterji, M., Arlosoroff, S. and Guha, G.), Ashgate Publishing, UK, pp 308–348 (2002)
- Singh A.K., Arsenic contamination in groundwater of North Eastern India. In Proceedings of 11th National Symposium on Hydrology with Focal Theme on Water Quality, National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee, pp. 255–262 (2004)
- Singh A.K., Approaches for removal of arsenic from groundwater of northeastern India, CURRENT SCIENCE, 92 (11), 1506-1515 (2007)
- Nickson R.T., McArthur J.M., Burgess W.G., Ahmed K.M., Ravenscroft P. and Rahaman M., Arsenic poisoning of Bangladesh groundwater, Nature, 395–338 (1998)
- Manimaran D., Groundwater geochemistry study using GIS in and around Vallanadu hills, Tamil Nadu, India, Res. J. Rec. Sci., 1 (7), 5-9 (2012)