Distribution of Thalassemia and Hemoglobinopathy in the koch Rajbanshi ethnic group of Jhapa, Nepal
- 1Mechi Multiple Campus, Bhadrapur, Jhapa, Nepal
- 2Central Department of Zoology, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 9, Issue (2), Pages 35-38, May,10 (2020)
Thalassemia and haemoglobinopathies are the most frequent monogenetic haemolytic disorders worldwide. Beta- thalassemia is an emerging global health burden. The study in the different ethnic groups of Nepal regarding incidence of various types of thalassemia is scarce, despite Nepal being included in the World Thalassemia Belt. The current study was done in the Koch Rajbanshi ethnic group of eastern Nepal to determine different varieties of thalassemia and haemoglobinopathies present in them. Three hundred (300) individuals were randomly selected for screening. The screening was done by complete blood count test and microscopical study of peripheral blood smear. The positive samples were further analysed by haemoglobin electrophoresis. Out of total 300 cases 57 cases (19%) showed abnormal red cell indices. Based on the level of haemoglobin A2 and haemoglobin E levels, 26 cases with HbE heterozygote/trait and 31 cases with HbE homozygote/ disease were diagnosed. Hence it was deciphered that haemoglobin variants are a common genetic problem in the Koch Rajbanshi ethnic group.
- Weatherall, D.J. (2007)., Haemoglobin and inherited disorders of globin synthesis., Post Graduate Haematology 5th edt. Oxforf: Butterworth Heinimann. Chapter 6. 85-103.
- Kuhansu, W., Schimidt, K.J. (1999)., Identification and clinical presentation of beta thalassemia mutations in theeastern regions of Saudia Arabia., J Med Genet., 36, 937-937.
- Olivieri, N.F., Pakbaj, Z., Vinchinsky, H. et al. (2011)., Hbe / beta thalassemia a common and clinically diverse disorder., Indian J Med Res., 134(4), 522-31.
- World Health Organisation (2008)., Management of haemoglobin disorders: report of a joint WHO-TIF meeting Nicosia., Cyprus, 16-18 Nov. 2007.
- Kim, J.E. Kim, B.R. Woo, K.S. Kim, J.M. Park, J.L. Han, J.Y. (2011)., Comparision of capillary electrophoresis and cellulose acetate electrophoresis for the screening of haemoglobinopathies., Korean J. Lab Med., 31(4), 238-43.
- Pranapus, S., Siricholiyakul, S., Srisopundit, K., Tongsong, T. (2009)., Sensitivity and specificity of mean corpuscular volume (MCV) for screening alpha thalassemia-1-trait and beta thalassemia trait., J Med Assoc India., 6, 739-43.
- Bastola, G., Acharya, R., Dhakal, N., Gupta, U.K., (2017)., Study of thalassemia and haemoglobinopathies in Pokhara, Nepal., Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research., 11(11), 15-18.
- Jha, R. (2015)., Distribution of haemoglobinopathies in patients presenting for electrophoresis and comparison of result with high performance liquid chromatography., Journal of Pathology Nepal., 5(10), 850-858.
- Sakai, Y. (2000)., Molecular Analysis of Alpha thalassemia: co-relation with malaria endemicity., Journal of Human Genetics. 45(3), 127-132.
- Goswami, B., Pramanik, R., Chakrabarty, S., Pal, P.P., Banerjee, S., Bandhopadhyay, A. (2014)., Spectrum of haemoglobin variants in the population of northern region of West Bengal: An Ethnogenetic Proposition., J Fam Med Prim Care., 3(1), 219-233.
- Mondal, S. K., Dasgupta, S., Mondal, S., & Das, N. (2014)., Spectrum of thalassemias and hemoglobinopathies in West Bengal: A study of 90,210 cases by cation exchange high-performance liquid chromatography method over a period of 8 years., Journal of applied Hematology, 5(3), 91.
- Das, B., Sengupts, S. (2008)., HbE genotypes and fertility; a study on Tibeto-burmesepopulation in upper Assam, India., Annals of human biology., 35(4), 422-31.
- Kalita, B. and Mehdi, S. (2016)., A cross-sectional study of the Haemoglobin variants in north east India., Indian Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Research., 5(2), 72-79.
- Baruah, M. K., Saikia, M., & Baruah, A. (2014)., Pattern of hemoglobinopathies and thalassemias in upper Assam region of North Eastern India: high performance liquid chromatography studies in 9000 patients., Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology, 57(2), 236.
- Mohanty, D., Colah, R., Gorakshakar, A., and Patel, R.Z (2013). Prevalence of Beta-thalassemia and other haemoglobinopathies in six cities of India. A multi-centre study., J Community Genet, 4, 33-42., undefined