Ascertaining the genetic basis of variants in Justicia adhatoda L. collected from Tamil Nadu using ISSR- PCR Markers
- 1St. Xavier′s College (Autonomous), Palayamkottai, Tamil Nadu, India
- 2Plant Molecular Biology Research Unit, Department of Botany, St. Xavier′s College (Autonomous), Palayamkottai, Tamil Nadu, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 9, Issue (1), Pages 17-20, February,10 (2020)
In the present investigation genetic variability of Justicia adhatoda L. belonging to the family Acanthaceae was carried out. The healthy fresh young leaves were collected from four different regions of Tamil Nadu. The DNA was isolated with standard protocol and the ISSR analysis was studied with five primers. The primers produced distinct bands in each population. The polymorphic loci number was 12 and percentage was 36 respectively. In between the population the genetic distance ranged from 0.3610 to 0.0625 and 0.9394 to 0.6970 respectively. 1.3636 was the mean value of overall observed number of alleles and 1.2788 was the effective number of alleles. The overall value for the genetic diversity was 0.1553 and value for Shannon information index was 0.2243. The UPGMA dendrogram represents the phylogenetic relationship between different accessions of Justicia adhatoda. The present study helps to find out the accession which has more genetic variability for the conservation in near future.
- Shah M. and Shinwari Z.K. (1996)., Distribution of the genus Potentilla (Rosaceae) in Pakistan., Natural History Bulletin, 2(1), 47-55.
- Kumar M., Samarth R., Kumar M., Selvan S.R., Saharan B. and Kumar A. (2007)., Protective effect of Adhatoda vasica Nees against radiation-induced damage at cellular, biochemical and chromosomal levels in Swiss albino mice., eCAM, 4(3), 343-350.
- Pandita K., Bhatia M.S., Thappa R.K., Agarwal S.G., Dhar K.L. and Atal C.K. (1983)., Seasonal variation of alkaloids of Adhatoda vasica and detection of glycosides and N-oxides of vasicine and vasicinone., Planta Medica, 48(6), 81-82.
- Jain S.K. (1991)., Dictionary of Indian folk medicine and ethnobotany., Deep Publications, New Delhi.
- Sa O., Pereira J.A. and Baptista P. (2011)., Optimization of DNA extraction for RAPD and ISSR analysis of Arbutus unedo L. leaves., Int. J. Mol. Sci., 12(6), 4156-4164.
- Hartl D. and Jones E. (2001)., Introduction to molecular genetics and genomics., Hartl DL, Jones EW Genetics: Analysis of Genes and Genomes: 5th ed. Canada: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 1-35.
- Lim H., Teng P., Peng C., Lee Y.H. and Goh C. (1999)., RAPD analysis of some species in the Genus Vanda (Orchidaceae)., Ann Bot., 83, 193-196.
- Chung S.M., Staub J.E. and Chen J.F. (2006)., Molecular phylogeny of Cucumis species as revealed by consensus chloroplast SSR marker length and sequence variation., Genome, 49(3), 219-229.
- Rocca G.D., Osmundson T., Danti R., Doulis A., Pecchioli A., Donnarumma F., Casalone E. and Garbelotto M. (2013)., AFLP analyses of california and mediterranean populations of Seiridium cardinale provide insights on its origin, biology and spread pathways., Forest Pathology, 43(3), 211-221.
- Gao J., Zhang W., Li J., Long H., He W. and Li W. (2016)., Amplified fragment length polymorphism analysis of the population structure and genetic diversity of Phoebe zhennan (Lauraceae), a native species to China., Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, 64, 149-155.
- Nagaoka T. and Ogihara Y. (1997)., Applicability of Inter-Simple Sequence Repeat Polymorphisms in Wheat for use as DNA Markers in Comparison to RFLP and RAPD markers., Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 94(5), 597-602.
- Zhang L.J. and Dai S.L. (2010)., Genetic variation within and among populations of Orychophragmus violaceus (Cruciferae) in China as detected by ISSR analysis., Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, 57(1), 55-64.
- Kojima T., Nagaoka T., Noda N. and Ogihara Y. (1998)., Genetic linkage map of ISSR and RAPD markers in Einkorn wheat in relation to that of RFLP markers., Theor. Appl. Genet, 96(1), 37-45.
- Ratnaparkhe M., Tekeoglu M. and Muehlbauer F. (1998)., Inter Simple Sequence Repeat (ISSR) polymorphisms are useful for finding markers associated with disease resistance gene clusters., Theor Appl Genet., 97(4), 515-519.
- Zietkiewicz E., Rafalski A. and Labuda D. (1994)., Genome fingerprinting by simple sequence repeat (SSR)- Anchored polymerase chain reaction amplification., Genomics, 20(2), 176-183.
- Fang D. and Roose M. (1997)., Identification of closely related Citrus cultivars with Inter Simple Sequence Repeat Markers., Theor Appl Genet., 95(3), 408-417.
- Parida R., Mohanty S. and Nayak S. (2017)., Molecular characterization of endangered medicinal plant species Hedychium coronarium from Eastern India., Int J Pharm Pharm Sci., 9(1), 173-178.
- Tiwari G., Singh R., Singha N., Choudhury D.R., Paliwal R., Kumar A. and Gupta V. (2016)., Study of arbitrarily amplified (RAPD and ISSR) and gene targeted (SCoT and CBDP) markers for genetic diversity and population structure in Kalmegh [Andrographis paniculata (Burm. f.) Nees]., Industrial Crops and Products, 86, 1-11.
- Paplauskiene V. and Dabkeviciene G. (2012)., A study of genetic diversity in Trifolium hybridum varieties using morphological characters and ISSR markers., Agriculture, 99(3), 313-318.
- Ayensu E.S. (1986)., World medicinal plant resources, In conservation for productive agriculture (eds Chopra VL and Khooshoo TN)., New Delhi: ICAR.
- Doyle J.J. and Doyle J.L. (1987)., A Rapid DNA Isolation Procedure for Small Quantities of Fresh Leaf Tissue., Phytochemical Bulletin, 19(1), 11-15.
- Williams J.G., Kubelik A.R., Livak K.J., Rafalski J.A. and Tingey S.V. (1990)., DNA polymorphisms amplified by arbitrary primers are useful as genetic markers., Nucleic Acids Res, 18(22), 6531-6535.
- Nei M. and Li W.H. (1979)., Mathematical model for studying genetic variation in terms of restriction endonucleases., Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 76(10), 5269-5273.
- Verma S. and Rana T.S. (2013)., Genetic relationships among wild and cultivated accessions of curry leaf plant (Murraya koenigii (L.) Spreng.), as revealed by DNA finger printing methods., Mol Biotechnol, 53(2), 139-149.
- Hamrick J.L. and Godt M.J.W. (1996)., Effects of life history traits on genetic diversity in plant species., Phil. Tran. R. Soc. Lond. B, 351(1), 1291-1298.
- Ohsawa T. and Ide Y. (2008)., Global patterns of genetic variation in plant species along vertical and horizontal gradients on mountains., Glob Ecol Biogeogr., 17(2), 152-163.
- Byars S.G., Parsons Y. and Hoffmann A.A. (2009)., Effect of altitude on the genetic structure of an Alpine grass. Poa hiemata., Ann Bot, 103(6), 885-899.
- Rossetto M., Weaver P.K. and Dixon K.W. (1995)., Use of RAPD analysis in devising conservation strategies for the rare and endangered Grevillea scapigera (Proteaceae)., Mol Eco, 4(3), 321-329.
- Chen J.M., Gituru W.R., Wang Y.H. and Wang Q.F. (2006)., The extent of clonality and genetic diversity in the rare Caldesia grandis (Alismataceae): comparative results for RAPD and ISSR markers., Aquat Bot, 84(4), 301-307.
- Arif M., Zaidi N.W., Singh Y.P., Haq Q.M.R. and Singh U.S. (2009)., A comparative analysis of ISSR and RAPD markers for study of genetic diversity in Shisham (Dalbergia sissoo)., Plant Mol Biol Rep, 27(4), 488-495.
- Singh R., Heusden A.W.V. and Yadav R.C. (2013)., A comparative genetic diversity analysis in mungbean (Vigna radiata) using Inter-Simple Sequence Repeat (ISSR) and Amplified Fragment Length Polymorphism (AFLP)., Afr J Biotechnol, 12(47), 6574-6582.
- Das S., Das S.S. and Ghosh P. (2014)., Analysis of genetic diversity in some black gram cultivars using ISSR., Eur J Exp Biol, 4(2), 30-34.
- Despeiges A., Goubely C., Lenoir A., Cocherel S., Picard G., Raynal M., Grellet F. and Delseny M. (1995)., Identification of the most represented repeat motifs in Arabidopsis thaliana microsatellite loci., Theor Appl Genet, 91(1), 160-168.
- Reddy M.P., Sarla N. and Siddiq E.A. (2002)., Inter simple sequence repeat (ISSR) polymorphism and its application in plant breeding., Euphytica, 128(1), 9-17.
- Smith J.S.C., Chin E.C.L., Shu H., Smith O.S., Wall S.J. and Senior M.L., Mitchell S.E., Kresovich S. and Ziegle J. (1997)., An evaluation of the utility of SSR loci as molecular markers in maize (Z. mays L.): comparisons with data from RFLPs and pedigree., Theoret and Appl Genet, 95(1-2), 163-173.
- Singh A., Dikshit H.K., Jain N., Singh D. and Yadav R.N. (2014)., Efficiency of SSR, ISSR and RAPD markers in molecular characterization of Mungbean and other Vigna species., Indian J. Biotechnol, 13, 81-88.