Effect of cement dust on physiology of selected trees at Cement Nagar, Bethamcherla (Mandal), Kurnool district, A.P., India
- 1Department of Botany, Rayalaseema University, Kurnool -7, A.P., India
- 2Department of Botany, Rayalaseema University, Kurnool -7, A.P., India
- 3Department of Botany, Rayalaseema University, Kurnool -7, A.P., India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 8, Issue (8), Pages 20-24, August,10 (2019)
The present learn is carried to find out Air pollution tolerance index standards of twenty plant species growing around Panyam cement factory, Bethamcherla mandal of Kurnool district, A.P., India to recognize the plant species that are forbearing to grown up in cement dust polluted areas. The study revealed an increase in their APTI values in eight species and indicated that these 8 species may be more tolerant to the stress caused by cement dust pollution. The highest percentage increase of APTI is recorded in Ficus benghalensis (94.61), followed by F.religiosa (54.78), Terminalia catappa (46.57), Leucania leucocephala (35.45) and Mangifera indica (32.03). They can also capable to raise water table of the soil by plummeting temperatures of the area due to their increase in population and by covering the soil surface with their huge canopy.
- Stern A.C. (1976)., Air Pollution - Measurement, Monitoring and Surveillance of Air Pollution., 3rd ed., Academic Press, New York.
- Erdal S. and Demirtas A. (2010)., Effects of cement flue dust from a cement factory on stress parameters and diversity of aquatic plants., Toxicology and industrial health, 26(6), 339-343.
- Abdel-Rahman A.M. (2012)., Effect of Cement Dust Pollution on the Yield and Quality of Ficuscarica L. Fruits., Journal of Life Sciences, 6(3), 276-282.
- Miria A. and Anisa Basheer Khan (2013)., Air Pollution Tolerance Index and Carbon Storage of Select Urban Trees - A Comparative Study., International Journal of Applied Research and Studies, 2(5), 1-7.
- Mahecha G.S., Bamniya B.R., Nair N. and Saini D. (2013)., Air pollution tolerance index of certain plant species—A study of Madri Industrial Area, Udaipur (Raj.), India., International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 2(12), 7927-7929.
- Pathak V., Tripathi B.D. and Mishra V.K. (2011)., Evaluation of anticipated performance index of some tree species for green belt development to mitigate traffic generated noise., Urban forestry & urban greening, 10(1), 61-66.
- Singh S.K. and Rao D.N. (1983)., Evaluation of the plants for their tolerance to air pollution., Proc.Symp on air pollution control held at IIT, Delhi., 218-224.
- Anne Marie Helmenstine (2018)., Vitamin C Determination by Iodine Titration., https://www.thoughtco.com/vitamin-c-determination-b...
- Arnon DI. (1949)., Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts phenol oxidase in Beta vulgaris., Plant Physiology, 1(24), 1-5.
- Maclachlan A.C. and Yentsch C.S. (1963)., Plastid structure, composition of a chlorophyll mutant of barley., Canada journal of Botany, 41, 1053-1062.
- Agbaire P.O. and Esief arienrhe E. (2009)., Air pollution tolerance indices (APTI) of some plants around Otorogun gas plants in delta state, Nigeria., J.of Applied Science and Envi. Mamagement, 13, 11-14.
- Singh A. (1977)., Practical Plant Physiology., Kalyani publishers, New Delhi.