Insecticidal Activities of Allium sativum and Capsicum annum extracts in field against thrips (Megalurothrips sjostedti) damage on cowpea plant in Kano State-Nigeria
- 1Biology Department, Kano University of Science and Technology, Wudil, P.M. B. 3244, Kano Nigeria
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 8, Issue (4), Pages 1-5, April,10 (2019)
The insecticidal activities of Capsicum annum fruits and Allium sativum cloves methanolic crude extracts were assessed on field against M. sjostedti damage on cowpea plants. Two genotypes IAR-48 and IT97K-499-35 were planted separately in a randomized block design, for a cowpea genotype four plots each measured 5mx3m with 1.5m space between plots replicated three times given the total of twelve plots were formed. Within the plots are three pairs of ridges (70cm apart) tallied with the three different concentrations (200, 600 and 1000ppm) for the plant extracts treatments application. Plant extract treatments along side with synthetic chemical insecticide (Magic force) as control check were applied to the plots using Knapsack sprayer 33 days after sowing. The results showed that the damage rates of M. sjostedti on susceptible cowpea genotype IAR-48 was significantly (p>0.05) higher as expected when compared with resistant genotype IT97K-499-35. The least significant (P 0.05) M. sjostedti damage rate was recorded on IT97K-499-35 genotype treated with A. sativum at 1000ppm concentration level which is similar to control check (synthetic chemical). Also the genotype IAR-48 had the lower damage rate on plant treated with A. sativum at 1000ppm which differed significantly (p>0.05) with untreated control. Although the least significant (p>0.05) damage rate was recorded in control check (synthetic chemical). For a safe crop production, there is the need to boost the use of plant extracts technically in field as segment of integrated pest management.
- Singh S.R. and Allen D.J. (1979)., Cowpea Pests and Diseases., International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Ibadan Nigeria, Manual Series NO., 2(5), 11-13. Available at http://hdl.handle.net/10568/80788. Accessed on 23/08/2016.
- Dugje I.Y., Omoigui L.O., Ekeleme F., Kamara A.Y. and Ajeigbe H. (2009)., Famers' Guide to Cowpea Production in West Africa., Printed in Nigeria by IITA, 3, 11-13. ISBN 978-131-332-3.
- Wood A., Ambridge L. and Bigger M. (1996)., A Guide to Insect Pests of Nigerian Crops Identification, Biology and Control/ Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resource, Nigeria and Overseas Development Administration., published by Chatham Natural Resources Institute, UK., 117-130. ISBN 0859544311.
- Wolfson J.L., Shade Mentzer P.E. and Murdock L.L. (1991)., Efficacy of ash for controlling infestations of Callosobruchus maculatus (F.) (Coleoptera: Bruchidae) in stored cowpeas., Journal of Stored Products Research, 27(4), 239-243.
- Ekesi S. (2000)., Effect of volatiles and crude extracts of different plant materials on egg viability of Maruca vitrata and Clavigralla tomentosicollis., Phytoparasitica, 28(4), 305-310.
- Lalla F.D., Ahmed B., Omar A. and Mohieddine M. (2013)., Chemical composition and biological activity of Allium sativum essential oils against Callosobruchus maculatus., J. Environ Sci. Toxicol. Food Technol., 3(1), 30-36.
- Oparaeke A.M., Dike M.C. and Amatobi C.I. (2005)., Evaluation of botanical mixtures for insect pests management on cowpea plants., Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development in the Tropics. Subtropics, 106(1), 41-48.
- Asante S.K., Tamo M. and Jackai L.E.N. (2001)., Integrated Management of Cowpea Insect Pests Using Elite Cultivar, Date of Planting and Minimum Insecticide Application., African Crop Science Journal, 9(4), 655-665.
- Odey M.O., Iwara I.A., Udiba U.U., Johnson J.T., Inekwe U.V., Asenye M.E. and Victor O. (2012)., Preparation of Plant Extracts from Indigenous Medicinal Plants., International Journal of Science and Technology, 1(12), 688-692.
- Zuharah W.F., Ahbirami R., Yahaya Z.S., Dieng H., Thiagaletchumi M., Fadzly N., Abu Hassan Ahmad A.H. and Bakar S.A. (2014)., Oviposition deterring and oviciding potentials of Ipomoea cairica L. leaf extract against dengue vectors., Tropical Biomedicine, 31(3), 456-465.
- Shrankhla B.S., Sharma P., Mohan L. and Srivastava C.N. (2012)., Relative larvicidal potential of Pseudocalymma alliaceum and Allium sativum against malaria vector, Anopheles stephensi (Liston)., J Europ Mosq Contr Assoc, 30, 83-90.
- Ogah E.O. (2013)., Field Evaluation of Plant Extracts in the Management of M. sjostedti and M. vitrata of Cowpea in Sothern Nigeria., World Essays Journal, 1(1), 11-17.
- Egho E.O. (2011)., Management of major field insect pests and yield of cowpea (Vignaunguiculata (L) walp) under calendar and monitored application of synthetic chemicals in Asaba, southern Nigeria., American Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 2(4), 592-602.
- William G. Miller (2014)., OpenStat software., (Version 08.12.14).
- Oparaeke A.M. (2007)., Toxicity and spraying schedules of a biopesticide prepared from Piper guineense against two cowpea pest., Plant Protection Sciences, 43(3), 103-108.
- Barry R.B., Ngakou A. and Nukenine E.N. (2017)., Pesticidal activity of plant extracts and a myco-insecticide (Meterhrizium anisopliae) on cowpea flower thrips and leaves damage in the field., Journal of Experimental Agriculture International, 18(2), 1-15. DOI:10.9734/JEAI/2017?37002.
- Akintola A.J., Oyegoke O.O. and Ikusebiala I.M. (2013)., Morphometry and preffered feeding site of Egyptian mealybug (Icerya aegyptiaca Douglas) on croton Codiaeu variegatum plant., Int. J. of Appl. Agric. Res., 9(1-2), 189-195.
- Fanou A., Baimey H., Zandjanakou-Tachin M. and Lawouin L. (2014)., Efficacy of botanical extracts and Cydim Super in the fight against cochineal (Dysmicoccus brevipes) associated with wilt disease in pineapple., International Journal of Biological and Chemical Sciences, 8(5), 2007-2014.
- Umar Y.F. (2008)., Comparative potentials of leaf, bark and wood powders of Jatropha curcas (L) as protectants of stored cowpea against Callosobruchus maculatus (F)., Savannah J. Agric., 3, 86-92.
- Ahmed B.I., Onu I. and Mudi L. (2009)., Field bioefficacy of plant extracts for the control of post flowering insect pests of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata (L.)Walp) in Nigeria., Journal of Biopesticides, 2(1), 37-43.
- Olaifa J.I. and Adenuga A.O. (1988)., Neem products for protecting field cassava from grasshopper damage., International Journal of Tropical Insect Science, 9(2), 267-270.
- Oparaeke A.M., Dike M.C. and Amatobi C.I. (2003)., Preliminary study on Clove, Syzigium aromaticum Gaertun and Eugenia caryophyllata Thunb. (Myrtaceae) as a source of insecticide., Nigerian Journal of Agricultural Extension, 13, 73-80.