Microbial profile and proximate composition of commonly used food thicker
- 1Department of Microbiology, University of Port Harcourt, P.M.B 5323, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigrria
- 2Department of Microbiology, University of Port Harcourt, P.M.B 5323, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigrria
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 8, Issue (10), Pages 15-23, October,10 (2019)
The study evaluated the nutritional and microbial profile of five food condiments Brachytegiaurycoma (Achi), Detariummirocapum (ofor), Mucunasloani (ukpo), Cocoyam (Ede) and starch used as food thickening agents bought from different markets. The total bacteria counts of the food thickening agent ranged from 4.0x 106 to 2.12 x108cfu/g. However Achi had the highest bacteria count. The Staphylococcus counts of the food thickening agent ranged from 1.5 x105 to 1.08 x106,.cfu/g. The Salmonella shigella counts ranged from 3.0x 104 to 6.5 x 105, cfu/g, no visible growth was observed for Starch and Cocoyam, but shigella was present in Ukpo, Fungal counts ranged from 2.0x106 to 5.4x107cfu/g. These values when compared to the standards for food condiments which is 103 &
- Okwu G.I., Achar P.N. and Sharma S.K. (2010)., Quantification of aflatoxin B1 in ready-to-use food thickeners in South-east geo-political zone in Nigeria., African Journal of Microbiology Research, 4(16), 1788-1793.
- Uhuegbu F.O., Onwuchekwa C.C., Iweala E.E. and Kanu I. (2009)., Effect of processing methods on nutritive and antinutritive properties of seeds of Brachystegia eurycoma and Detarium microcarpum from Nigeria., Pakistan Journal of nutrition, 8(4), 316-320.
- Lund B.M. and Parker T.C. and Gould G.W. (2000)., The microbiological safety and quality of food., Toxigenic fungi and mycotoxin Aspen Inc Publishers, 1490-1517.
- Pinho B.H. and Furlong E.B. (2000)., The occurrence of molds, yeasts and mycotoxins in pre-cooked pizza dough sold in Southern Rio Grande do Sul., Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, 31(2), 99-102.
- Turner P.C., Moore S.E., Hall A.J., Prentice A.M. and Wild C.P. (2003)., Modification of immune function through exposure to dietary aflatoxin in Gambian children., Environmental health perspectives, 111(2), 217-220.
- Molina M. and Giannuzzi L. (2002)., Modelling of aflatoxin production by Aspergillus parasiticus in a solid medium at different temperatures, pH and propionic acid concentrations., Food Research International, 35(6), 585-594.
- Jones T.F., Kellum M.E., Porter S.S., Bell M. and Schaffner W. (2002)., an outbreak of community acquired food borne illness caused by methicillin- resistant staphylococcus aures., emering infectious disease, 8(1), 82-84.
- Anantharayan (2011)., Diagnostic value of mannitol for sugar fermentation in Staphylococus aureus., Textbook of Microbiology, 31-33.
- ICMSF (2009)., International Committee on Microbiological Specifications for Foods, 2nd Ed., University of Toronto Press, Toronto, Buffalo and London.
- Ogunshe A.A. and Olasugba K.O. (2008)., Microbial loads and incidence of food-borne indicator bacteria in most popular indigenous fermented food condiments from middle-belt and southwestern Nigeria., African Journal of Microbiology Research, 2(12), 332-339.
- Jay J.M. (2000)., Modern Food Microbiolgy., Van Nostran Reinhold, New York, 3rd edition 642.
- Codex (2011)., Code of Hygenic Practice for collecting, processing and marketing of Natural mineral waters., (CAR/RCP33-1985 REVISED 20111)110-112
- Oranusi S.U., Braide W., Nwodo C.F. and Nwosu U.P. (2013)., Assay for aflatoxins in some local food condiments., International Journal of Biology, Pharmacy and Allied Sciences (IJBPAS), 2(3), 529-537.
- Nwosu J. (2011)., The Effect of Storage Condition on the Rheological/Functional Properties of Soup Thickner Mucuna sloanei (Ukpo)., Researcher, 3(6), 27-32.
- Donatus E.O. and Ezinna Okoro (2007)., Phytochemical compostion of Brahstegiaeurycoma and Mucnaflagellipes seed., Medicinal and Aromatic plant Science and Biotechnology, 1(1), 103-106.
- AOAC (1980)., Official methods of Analysis., 13th edition Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, D.C.
- Igwenyi I.O. and Azoro B.N. (2014)., Proximate and phytochemical compositions of four indigenous seeds used as soup thickeners in ebonyi state Nigeria., J. Environ. Sci. Toxicol. Food Technol, 8(6), 35-40.