Review on freshwater fish diversity of Northern West Bengal, India: status, threats and conservation measures
- 1University of North Bengal, Raja Rammohunpur, Dist Darjeeling, West Bengal-734013, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 7, Issue (7), Pages 39-51, July,10 (2018)
Fishes are the most diverse group of vertebrates and the most important aquatic fauna, directly or indirectly related to human well-being. West Bengal is a Nadimatrik state i.e., land nourished by rivers with a total freshwater area stretching about 272380 ha area. However, despite the huge water resource, the knowledge of fish diversity is very inadequate, especially in northern part of West Bengal, known as North Bengal. This dearth of information on ichthyofauna is a big obstacle for promoting, resurrecting and conserving the fish variety present in the variety of freshwater habitats present here. This review is an attempt to provide a systematic catalog of fish species recorded so far in this area, along with their local names, economic importance and conservation status. Attempt has also been made to enlist the possible threats to survival of these fish varieties and their conservation strategies. As many as 177 species of freshwater fishes, belonging to 31 families have been found to be recorded in various freshwater habitats in this area.
- Froese, R. and D. Pauly. FishBase. (2018). http://www.fishbase.org/search.php (Accessed on 31/03/2018), undefined, undefined
- Lévêque C., Oberdorff T., Paugy D., Stiassny M.L.J. and Tedesco P.A. (2008)., Global diversity of fish (Pisces) in freshwater., Hydrobiologia, 595, 545-567.
- Resources (2015). Handbook of fisheries statistics 2014-15. https://www.wbfisheries.in/files/Statistical%20handbook15-16.pdf (Accessed on 31/03/ 2018), undefined, undefined
- Sekhar D., Kaviraj A. and Das B.K. (2013)., Ichthyofaunal Diversity in the River Dauk, A Tributary of Mahananda River at Uttar Dinajpur District of West Bengal, India., International Journal of Current Research, 5(6), 1489-1493.
- Menon A.G.K. (2004)., Threatened fishes of India and their conservation., Zoological Survey of India, Kolkata, 1-170.
- Nguyen T.T.T. and De Silva S.S. (2006)., Freshwater finfish biodiversity and conservation: an Asian perspective., Biod. Cons., 15(11), 3543-3568.
- Barman R.P. (2007)., A review of the fresh water fish fauna of West Bengal, India with suggestions for conservation of the threatened and endemic species., Records of the Zoological Survey of India, Occasional Paper, 263, 1-48.
- Shaw G.E. and Shebbeare E.O. (1937)., The fishes of Northern Bengal., J. Asiat.Soc. Beng., 3(1).
- Hora S.L. and Gupta J.C. (1940)., On a collection of fish from Kalimpong, Duars and Siliguri Terai, North Bengal., Journal Royal Asiatic Society of Bengal (Science), 7(8), 77-83.
- Jayaram K.C. and Singh K.P. (1977)., On the collection of fish from North Bengal., Records of Zoological Survey of India, 72(1-4), 243-275.
- Chakraborty T. and Bhattacharjee S. (2008)., The Ichthyofaunal diversity in the freshwater rivers of South Dinajpur District of West Bengal, India., Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society, 105(3), 292-298.
- Patra A.K and Dutta T. (2010)., Diversity of Cypriniformes fish fauna in Karala river, a tributary of Teesta river at Jalpaiguri district of W.B, India., Research Journal of Biological Sciences, 5(1), 106-110.
- Patra A.K., Sengupta S. and Datta T. (2011)., Physico-Chemical properties and Ichthyofauna Diversity in Karala river, a tributary of Teesta river at Jalpaiguri district of West Bengal, India., International Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology, 2(3), 47-58.
- Acharjee M.L. and Barat S. (2013)., Ichthyofaunal Diversity of Teesta River in Darjeeling Himalaya of West Bengal, India., Asian J. Exp. Biol. Sci., 4, 112-122.
- Dey A., Nur R., Sarkar D. and Barat S. (2015)., Ichthyofauna Diversity of River Kaljani in Cooch Behar District of West Bengal, India., Int. J. Pure App. Biosci., 3(1), 247-256.
- Dey A., Sarkar K. and Barat S. (2015)., Evaluation of fish biodiversity in rivers of three districts of eastern Himalayan region for conservation and sustainability., Int. J. of Applied research, 1(9), 424-435.
- Britz R. (2013)., Channa andrao, a new species of dwarf snakehead from West Bengal, India (Teleostei: Channidae)., Zootaxa, 3731, 287-294.
- Paul M., Gupta S. and Banerjee S. (2009)., Fish fauna of major rivers of Darjeeling district, with special reference to their conservation status., Rec. zool. Surv. India, 109(4), 15-23.
- CAMP. (1998)., Conservation Assessment and Management Plan Workshops, (Ed) Sanjay Molur and Sally Walker., Zoo Outreach organization National Bureau of Fish Genetics Resources Lucknow, India.
- Acharjee M.L. and Barat S. (2011)., Spatio-temporal Dynamics of Physico-Chemical Factors of River Relli in Darjeeling Himalaya, West Bengal, India., North Bengal University Journal of Animal Sciences, 5, 24-33.
- Acharjee M.L. and Barat S. (2014)., Seasonal dynamics of ichthyodiversity in a hill stream of the Darjeeling Himalaya, West Bengal, India., Journal of Threatened Taxa, 6(14), 6635-6648.
- Sen N. (2000)., Occurrence, Distribution and Status of Diversified fish fauna of North east India., In A.G Poniah and U.K. Sarkar (Eds). Fish Biodiversity of Northeast India. Proc. National workshop NBFGR Lucknow, 31-48.
- Basu A., Dutta D. and Banerjee S. (2012)., Indigenous ornamental fishes of West Bengal., Recent Research in Science and Technology, 4, 12-21.
- Barat S., Jha P. and Lepcha R.F. (2005)., Bionomics and Cultural prospects of Katli, Neolissocheilus hexagonolepis (McClelland) in Darjeeling district of West Bengal., Coldwater fisheries ResearchandDevelopment in North-East region of India (Eds.B.Tyagi, Shyam Sunder and M.Mohan). NRCCWF, Bhimtal.Vikrant Computers Haldwani, 66-69.
- Acharjee M.L. and Barat S. (2014)., Loaches of Darjeeling Himalaya and Adjoining areas of West Bengal: their Prospects as Ornamental Fish and Constraints., Int. J. Pure App. Biosci., 2(3), 258-264.
- Dey A., Mukherjee A., Sarkar D. and Ray N. (2015)., Status of indigenous ornamental fish diversity and abundance in Ghargharia river in Coochbehar district of West Bengal., Int. J Pure App. Biosci., 3(1), 133-137.
- IUCN Red list index (2018). The IUCN Red list of threatened species. (2017-3). http://www.iucnredlist.org/ (Accessed on 31/03/2018), undefined, undefined
- Goswami U.C. (2007)., Natural and anthropogenic hazards on fish and fisheries., Narendra Publicaton House, Delhi, India, 21-46.
- Madhavi V.K., Reddy V.D.A. and Reddy V.G. (2012)., Conservation of Fish Faunastic Diversity-An Indian Perspective., European Journal of Zoological Research, 1(3), 80-85.
- Sarkar U.K., Pathak A.K. and Lakra W.S. (2008)., Conservation of freshwater fish resources of India: new approaches, assessment and challenges., Biodivers. Conserv., 17(10), 2495-2511.