Fish diversity in Bipail fish landing center, Savar, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 1Department of Zoology, Jahangirnagar University, Savar, Dhaka-1342, Bangladesh
- 2Department of Zoology, Jahangirnagar University, Savar, Dhaka-1342, Bangladesh
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 7, Issue (7), Pages 6-12, July,10 (2018)
An investigation was carried out in Bipail fish landing center, Savar, Dhaka, Bangladesh, to evaluate the fish diversity and their present status during June to December 2016. A total of 59 species of finfishes and shellfishes under 49 genera, 32 families and 11 orders were recorded. Out of 59, 55 species belonged to finfishes and only 4 species to crustacean shellfishes. Again, among the finfishes, only 2 species were marine, 8 species were exotic and rests of them were either freshwater or brackish water or both. Cypriniformes and Cyprinidae were the most dominated order and family respectively comprising 28.81% and 27.11% respectively of the recorded species. Regarding the relative abundance, very common, common and rare fish were 20 (33.89%), 16 (27.11%) and 23(38.98%) respectively. On the other hand, 11(18.64%) species were recorded as threatened fish during the study periods in which 5(45.45%) and 6 (54.54%) species were endangered and vulnerable respectively. Landed fish were coming from different fish habitat of diversified areas of country. The maximum and minimum quantity of fish was estimated in the month of July and December respectively.
- Bangladesh I.U.C.N. (2015)., Red list of Bangladesh Volume 5: Freshwater Fishes., IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature, Bangladesh Country Office, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 16, 360. ISBN: 978-984-34-0738-2
- Bangladesh I.U.C.N. (2015)., Red list of Bangladesh Volume 6: Crustaceans., IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature, Bangladesh Country Office, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 16, 256. ISBN: 978-984-34-0739-9
- DoF. (2001)., Brief on Department of Fisheries Bangladesh. Department of fisheries., Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock. Dhaka. Bangladesh, 8.
- Do F. (2012)., Fishery statistical yearbook of Bangladesh., Fisheries Resources Survey System. Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock, Government of the Peoples, Republic of Bangladesh, Dhaka, 28, 46-49.
- BFDC (2001)., Role of fish landing center in Bangladesh., Minstry of Fisheres and Livestock. Government of the Peoples Republic of Bangladesh. Souvenier from matshya pakkha, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 12-26 August., 23-25.
- Ali M.Y., Salim G.M., Mannan M.A., Rahman M.M., Sabbir W. and Murshida A. (2004)., Fish Species Availability Observed in the Fish Landing Centers of Khulna District in Bangladesh., J. Bio. Sci., 4(5), 575-580.
- Chandra K.J., Basak S.S. and Hasan M. (2011)., Landing centers and availability of fish species in fish markets of Mymensingh town., J. Bangladesh Agril. Univ., 9(2), 311-318.
- Samad M.A., Rahman B.M.S., Abdulla-Al-Asif and Adhikary R.K. (2013)., Availability and Potentiality of Small Indigenous Species of Fish throughout the Year in South-Western Region of Bangladesh., African J. Basic & Applied Sci., 5(4), 167-173.
- Ahsan M.E., Siddik M.A.B., Sharker M.R., Alam M.A., Nahar A. and Pattadar S.N. (2014)., Fish species availability in the fish landing centers of Patuakhali, Bangladesh., Int. J. Sci. and Tech. Res., 3(2), 220-225.
- Islam S.R., Mia H., Islam M.A., Reza M.J. and Mannan M. (2015)., Availability of Fishes and Their Marketing in the Pultakanda Fish Landing Center, Bhairab, Bangladesh., Int. J. Fish. and Aqu. Stud., 3(2), 218-223.
- Bhuiyan A.L. (1964)., Fishes of Dacca, Asiatic society of Pakistan., Dacca, 148.
- Talwar P.K. and Jhingaran A. (1991)., Inland fishes of India and adjacent countries., Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. New Delhi, 1, 2, 1158. ISBN: 8120406400, 9788120406407
- Shafi M. and Quddus M.M.A. (2001)., Bangladesher matshaw sampad (Bangla)., Kabir Publications, Dhaka, 485.
- Rahman A.K.A. (2005)., Freshwater fishes of Bangladesh., 2nd edn., The Zoological Society of Bangladesh, Department of Zoology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, 485. ISBN: 984-32-2180
- Wani O.A. and Gupta U.S. (2015)., A study on Ichthyofaunal diversity of Sagar lake, Madhya Pradesh, India., Int. J. Biodiversity and Conservation, 7(3), 126-129.
- Chowdhury M.M. and Iqubal K.F. (2007)., A survey on the availability of fish species in the fish landing centers of Dhaka city in Bangladesh., Bangladesh J. Zool., 35(2), 259-267.
- Jahan R., Quaiyum M.A., Sarker B.S., Hossain M.B., Khalid Bin Jaman K.M. and Rahman S. (2014)., Biodiversity and seasonal abundance of small indigenous fish species (SIS) in the rivers and adjacent beels of Karimgonj (Kishorganj, Bangladesh)., Asian J. Animal Sci., 8(2), 38-46.
- Galib S.M., Rashid M.A., Chaki N., Mohsin A.B.M. and Joadder M.A.R. (2016)., Seasonal variation and community structure of fishes in the Mahananda River with special reference to conservation issues., Journal of Fisheries, 4(1), 325-334.