Breeding performance of black crowned night heron- (Nycticorax nycticorax) in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
- 1Department of Zoology, M.G. Science Institute, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 7, Issue (2), Pages 8-11, February,10 (2018)
Breeding performance of the Black Crowned Night Heron- (Nycticorax nycticorax) was studied in Ahmedabad, Gujarat during January 2015 to December 2015. The population of Nycticorax nycticorax was observed in wetlands of the study area. During study period 21 nests were seen. Breeding period starts from July and extend up to September 2015. Black Crowned Night Heron mostly preferred the large leafy trees for nest building. Different species of plants were preferred for nest building by this bird species. Success of Hatching 62%, success of Nestling 56% and success of Nesting 35% was observed. Low breeding success of Nycticorax nycticorax was observed. Predation, food availability, heavy rainfall, high wind velocity was the reasons for the low performance of breeding.
- Mukhopadhyay A. (1980)., Some observations on the biology of the Openbill Stork: Anastomus oscitans (Boddaert) in Southern Bengal., J. Bombay Nat. Hist. Soc, 77(1), 133-137.
- Sivasubramanian C. (1992)., Ecological investigation on the piscivorous birds in Keoladeo National Park, Bharatpur., (Doctoral dissertation, Ph. D. Thesis submitted to Saurashtra University, Rajkot).
- Dave S.M. (2002)., Ecological study on the Piscivorous Birds of the semiarid area, Rajkot., Ph.D. Dissertation submitted to Saurashstra University, Rajkot.
- Acharya C.A. (2003)., Ecological study on Wetland birds at semi-arid condition of tropical farming area around Visnagar - North Gujarat., Ph.D. Thesis. North Gujarat University, Patan.
- Vyas B.M. (2005)., Ecological study on urban birds at Visnagar city-North Gujarat., (Doctoral dissertation, Ph. D. Thesis, Hemchandracharya North Gujarat University, Patan).
- Takagi M. (2003)., Seasonal change in egg volume variation within a clutch in the Bull-headed Shrike (Lanius bucephalus)., Canad. J. Zool., 81(2), 287-293.
- Hõrak P., Mänd R., Ots I. and Leivits A. (1995)., Egg size in the Great Tit Parus major: Individual, habitat and geographic differencess., Ornis Fennica, 7(3), 97-114.
- Patel M.I. (1986)., Ecological studies on the Feral Pigeon in a tropical urban area., Ph. D. Thesis, Saurastra Uni. Rajkot.
- Schifferli L. (1973)., The effect of egg weight on the subsequent growth of nestling Great Tits Parus major., Ibis, 115(4), 549-558.
- Reddy P.M., Reddy V.R., Reddy C.V. and Rao P.S.P. (1979)., Egg weight, shape index and hatachability in Khaki Campbell duck eggs., Indian Journal of Poultry Science, 14, 26-31.
- Vijayan V.S. (1978)., Breeding biology of bulbuls, Pycnonotus cafer and Pycnonotus luteolus (Class: Aves, Family: Pycnonotidae) with special reference to their ecological isolation., J Bombay Nat Hist Soc, 75, 1090-1117.
- Lack D. (1954)., The Natural Regulation of Animal Numbers., Oxford University Press, London.
- Roff D.A. (1992)., The evolution of life histories: theory and analysis., New York Chapman & Hall. Safriel, U.N.
- Skutch A.F. (1945)., Incubation and nesting period of Central American birds., Auk., 62, 8-37.
- Nice M.M. (1954)., Problems of incubation periods in North American birds., The Condor, 56(4), 173-197.
- Ali S. and Ripley S.D. (1971)., Handbook of the birds of India and Pakistan., Oxford University Press, Bombay, 6.
- Dhanda S.K. and Dhindsa M.S. (1998)., Breeding ecology of Common Myna (Acridotheres tristis) with special reference to the effect of season and variable., J. BNHS., 95(1), 43-56.
- Ali S. (1930)., Casualties among the eggs and young of small birds., Journal of the Bombay Natural History and Society, 34, 1062-1067.