Dovali, the tribal fishing practice in river Narmada, MP, India
- 1ICAR-Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute, Barrackpore, Kolkata-700120, India
- 2ICAR-Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute, Barrackpore, Kolkata-700120, India
- 3ICAR-Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute, Barrackpore, Kolkata-700120, India
- 4ICAR-Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute, Barrackpore, Kolkata-700120, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 6, Issue (9), Pages 26-30, September,10 (2017)
Indigenous techniques are the knowledge obtained by individuals or particular community in a particular region that comes from their own observations, experiences, beliefs or perceptions and those utilize low cost natural resources. Detail knowledge of fishing gear, crafts and fishing methods in use is very essential for scientific and judicious exploitation and management of fishery resources. The present inventory was aimed to generate information and document indigenous fishing techniques practiced along the stretches of river Narmada in Madhya Pradesh. During the survey, an indigenous fishing technique ‘Dovali’ was observed, practiced by the tribes residing around river Narmada at Mandleshwar region, Khargone district, Madhya Pradesh. It is a kind of community fishing which mainly being operated during monsoon and post-monsoon season mainly for catching air-breathing murrels. This fishing supports food supply and livelihood to a large segment of the tribes in Madhya Pradesh. In the present paper, a detail about the ‘Dovali’ is discussed as it is hitherto unreported from different water bodies of India.
- Burton P.J., Balisky A.E., Coward L.P., Cumming S.G. and Kneeshaw D.D. (1992)., The value of managing biodiversity., For. Chron., 68(2), 225-237.
- Ridhi Jha B.C., Parashar A., Das A.K. and Bose A.K. (2013)., Fishes of Gandhisagar Reservoir in Madhya Pradesh., J. Chem. Bio. Phy. Sci., 3(1), 390-398.
- Maitland P.S. (1995)., The conservation of freshwater fish: past and present experience., Biol. Conserv., 72(2), 259-270. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-3207 (94)00088-8
- Ashashree H.M., Venkateshwarlu M. and Reneuka Swamy H.M. (2008)., Diversity of fish fauna in Nagathibelagulu pond, Shimoga, Karnataka., Adv. Aquat. Ecol., 2(11), 95-97.
- Dudgeon D. (2003)., The contribution of scientific information to the conservation and management of freshwater biodiversity in tropical Asia., Hydrobiol., 500, 295-314. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024666627070
- Das P. and Pandey A.K. (1998)., Current status of fish germplasm resource of India and strategies for conservation of endangered species., Fish Genetics and Biodiversity Conservation (Eds. Ponniah, A.G. and Das, P.). Nature Conservators, Muzaffarnagar, 253-273.
- Sugunan V.V., Mitra K. and Vinci G.K. (2002)., Ornamental fishes of West Bengal., Published by Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute, ICAR, Barrackpore, Kolkata, 108.
- Shahnawaz A., Venkateshwarlu M., Somashekar D.S. and Santosh K. (2010)., Fish diversity with relation to water quality of Bhadra River of Western Ghats (India)., Environ. Monit. Assess., 161(1-4), 83-91. https://doi: 10.1007/s10661-008-0729-0
- Mittermeier R.A. and Mittermeier C.G. (1997)., Megadiversity: Earth’s Biologically Wealthiest Nation., Global Freshwater Biodiversity. (Eds McAllister, D.E., Hamilton, A.L. and Harvey, B.). Sea Wind, Cemex, Mexico City, 11, 1-140.
- Shinde S.E., Pathan T.S., Bhandare R.Y. and Sonawane D.L. (2009)., Ichthyofaunal diversity of Harsool Savangi dam, District Aurangabad (M.S.), India., World J. Fish and Mar. Sci., 1(3), 141-143.
- Shinde S.E., Pathan T.S., Raut K.S., Bhandare R.Y. and Sonawane D.L. (2009)., Fish biodiversity of Pravara River at Pravara Sangam district Ahmednagar, (M.S.) India., World J. Zool., 4(3), 176-179.
- Bhakta J.N. and Bandyopadhyay P.K. (2008)., Fish diversity in freshwater perennial waterbodies in East Midnapore district of West Bengal, India., Int. J. Environ. Res., 2(3), 255-260.
- Sreekrishna Y. and Shenoy L. (2000)., Fishing gear and craft technology., Indian Council of Agriculture Research, New Delhi, 342.
- Raju C.S., Rao J.C.S., Rao K.G. and Simhachalam G. (2016)., Fishing methods, use of indigenous knowledge and traditional practices in fisheries management of Lake Kolleru., J. Entomol. Zool. Stud., 4(5), 37-44.
- Choudhury M. (1992)., Fishing methods in floodplain lakes., Compendium of FAO sponsored ting program on floodplain fisheries management, Central Inland Capture Fisheries Research Institute, Barrackpore, West Bengal, India, 163.
- Sinha M. (1994)., Fish Genetics resources of the north eastern region of India., J. Inland Fish. Soc. India, 26(1), 1-19.
- Job T.J. and Pantulu V.R. (1953)., Fish trapping in India., J. Asiat. Soc. (Sci.), 19(2), 175.
- Joseph K.M. and Narayanan K.P. (1965)., Fishing gear and methods of the river Brahmaputra in Assam., Fish. Technol., 2(2), 205-219.
- George V.C. (1971)., An account of the inland fishing gears and methods of India., CIFT Special Bulletin No 1, Kochin, 62.
- Bhanot K.K. (1973)., Common fishing methods in our country., Indian Farmers’ Dig., 6(1), 15.
- Mitra P.M., Ghosh K.K., Saigal B.N., Sarkar N.D., Roy A.K., Mondal N.C. and Paul A.R. (1987)., Fishing gear of the upper and middle Hooghly estuary., Bulletin No. 49 (CIFRI, Barrackpore, Kolkata), 22.
- Sharma R. (2001)., Traditional fishing methods and fishing gears of Assam., Fish. Chimes, 20(12), 23-26.
- Datta R. and Bhattacharjya B.K. (2009)., Traditional fishing method of Assam for Catfishes using duck meat as an attractant., Indian J. Tradit. Know., 8(2), 234-236.
- Gurumayum S.D. and Choudhury M. (2009)., Fishing methods in the rivers of Northeast India., Indian J. Tradit. Know., 8(2), 237-241.
- Kolekar V. (2009)., An account of observations on fishing gear and crafts of Mandovi estuary of Goa., J. Inland Fish. Soc. India, 41(1), 41-46.
- Rathakrishnan T., Ramsubramanian M., Anandaraja N., Suganthi N. and Anitha S. (2009)., Traditional fishing practices followed by fisher folks of Tamil Nadu., Indian J. Tradit. Know., 8(4), 543-547.
- Kalita B., Dutta A., Bhagabati S.K. and Sharma A. (2010)., Indigenous technical knowledge for fish harvesting in Karbi-Anglong district of Assam., Indian J. Tradit. Know., 9(2), 252-255.
- Adikant P., Nag S.K. and Patil S.K. (2011)., Traditional fishing techniques of tribes in Bastar region of Chhattisgarh., Indian J. Tradit. Know., 10(2), 386-387.
- Manna R.K., Das A.K., Rao D.S.K., Karthikeyan M. and Singh D.N. (2011)., Fishing crafts and gear in river Krishna., Indian J. Tradit. Know., 10(3), 491-497.
- Pravin P., Meenakumari B., Baiju M., Barman J., Baruah D. and Kakati B. (2011)., Fish trapping devices and methods in Assam., Indian J. Fish., 58(2), 127-135.
- Baruah D., Dutta A. and Pravin P. (2013)., Traditional fish trapping devices and methods in the Brahmaputra Valley of Assam., Indian J. Tradit. Know., 12(1), 123-129.
- Chakravarti P. and Sharma S. (2013)., Different types of fishing gears used by the fishermen in Nalbari district of Assam., Int. J. Soc. Sci. Interdiscip. Res., 2(3), 177-191.
- Devi B.N., Mishra S.K., Das L., Pawar N.A. and Chanu T. (2013)., Traditional fishing methods in Central Valley regions of Manipur, India., Indian J. Tradit. Know., 12(1), 137-143.
- Islam M.R., Das B., Baruah D., Biswas S.P. and Gupta A. (2013)., Fish diversity and fishing gears used in the Kulsi River of Assam, India., Ann. Biol. Res., 4(1), 289-293.
- Kumar V. and Kumar K. (2013)., A preliminary study on fishing craft and gears in Dhaura Reservoir, Uttarakhand, India., Int. Res. J. Biol. Sci., 2(8), 76-78.
- Das R.K. and Barat S. (2014)., Fishing gears operated in lentic and lotic water bodies of Cooch Behar district, West Bengal, India., Indian J. Tradit. Know., 13(3), 619-625.
- Gokulkrishnan S. and Moses I.R. (2014)., Present scenario of fishing methods in Pulicat lagoon., Fish. Chimes, 33(10-11), 43-47.
- Bhakta D., Manna R.K., Meetei W.A., Solanki J.K. and Sah R.K. (2016)., Traditional fishing crafts and gears of Ukai reservoir, Gujarat, India., Int. J. Fish. Aquat. Stud., 4(4), 142-145.
- Chourey P., Meena D., Varma A. and Saxena G. (2014)., Study on fishing craft and gears of Bhopal district, Madhya Pradesh, India., Int. J. Theor. Appl. Sci., 6(2), 65-67.
- Kokate A.A., Bhosale B.P., Metar S.Y., Chogale N.D., Pawar R.A. and Nirmale V.H. (2016)., Indigenous fishing crafts and gears of Krishna River with respect to Sangli district of Maharashtra, India., Int. J. Fish. Aquat. Stud., 4(6), 434-438.
- Bose A.K., Gupta Ridhi S., Suresh V.R. and Das A.K. (2017)., Indigenous fishing (Char Kanta): A traditional fisheries in River Tawa, Madhya Pradesh, India., Int. J. Fish. Aquat. Stud., 5(3), 265-268.
- Bose A.K., Bose R. and Gupta S. (2017)., Kunche Jal’ Fishing: A Low Cost Indigenous Fishery in Ganga River Basin., Int. J. Fish. Aquat. Stud., 5(4), 87-90.
- Manna R.K., Sarkar S.D., Das S.K., Roshith C.M., Bose A.K., Roychowdhury A. and Sharma A.P. (2016)., Improvised Crab Trap as Attachment of Bag Net: A Novel Fishing Practice in Lower Ganges., J. Indian Soc. Coastal agric. Res., 34(1), 131-138.
- Bose A.K., Jha B.C., Suresh V.R., Das A.K. and Parasar A. (2012)., Fishes of the Middle Stretch of River Tawa, Madhya Pradesh, India., J. Chem. Bio. Phy. Sci., 3(1), 706-716.
- Bose A.K., Jha B.C., Suresh V.R., Das A.K. and Parasar A. (2012)., Documentation on fish diversity in the upper stretch of river Tawa, Madhya Pradesh, India., Biodiversity: Issues, Threats and Conservation, 65-71.
- Bose A.K., Jha B.C., Suresh V.R., Das A.K. and Sharma A.P. (2013)., Fishes of the Lower Stretch of River Tawa, Madhya Pradesh and Conservation Needs., J. Inland Fish. Soc. India, 45(2), 14-22.