In vitro determination of anti-cancer, anti-Inflammatory and anti-dibetic potential among selected species of Spilanthes Jacq.
- 11Department of Botany, St. Teresa’s College EKM, Kerala, India
- 21Department of Botany, St. Teresa’s College EKM, Kerala, India
- 31Department of Botany, St. Teresa’s College EKM, Kerala, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 6, Issue (6), Pages 26-29, June,10 (2017)
Many medicinal plants were with a long history of use in medicine against a variety of diseases. Spilanthes (Asteraceae) an important medicinal plant grown in tropics and subtropics, well-known indigenous medicine, has been used for the treatment of many disease such cancer, diabetes mellitus and skin infections. The aim of this study was to focusedthe biological activities of four Spilanthessps. against anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic and anticancer activities and to evaluate the pharmacognostic activity of the plants. S. vazhachalensis Sheela, S. ghoshinis, S.calva DC, S. radicans Jacq plants showed good anticancer activity against DLA cell lines using the assays. Ethanolic extract of S.ghoshinis showed potent cytotoxic activity with cytotoxic percentage (10%-57%) and S.calva showed least activity (2%-11%). Anti-inflammatory studies and antidiabetic property of the Spilanthes sps. showed better result and thus it has immense role ethnomedicine and preparation of new drug formulation in near future.
- Natalie Vickery (2011)., Getting Acquainte., with spilanthes://familyherbalist.wordpress.com
- P. Raja, N. Dhathchanamoorthy, A. Kala and S. Soosairaj (2013)., Spilanthes radicans Jacq.(Asteraceae) a new record to Tamilnadu, India., Int. J. Int sci. Inn. Tech. Sec. A, 2(6), 34-35
- Preetha T.S., Neethumohan P.M. and Najeena S.R. (2017) i.world journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences , 12, 1275-1287., undefined, undefined
- Sahu J., Jain K., Jain B. and Sahu R.K. (2011)., A review on phytopharmacology and micropropagation of Spilanthes acmella., Pharmacologyonline newslett, 2, 1105-1110.
- IndiaNetzone (2014)., Spilanthes Calva, Indian Medicinal Plant., http://www.indianetzone.com/38/spilanthes_calva_plant.htm 30/10/2014
- Sheela D. (2010)., Spilanthesghoshinis: a new species from Kerala, India., Journal of Economic and Taxonomic Botany, 34(4), 798-800.
- Sivarajan V.V. and Mathew Philip (1984)., Notes on three new immigrant species of Spilanthesjacq.(Asteraceae) in India and the identity of the common tooth ache plant., Ancient science of life, 3(3), 169-173.
- Sheela D. (2007)., Spilanthesvazhachalensis: a new species from Kerala, India., Journal of Economic and Taxonomic Botany, 31(2), 474-477.
- Subramoniam A., Nair S.A. and Shylesh B. S. (2005)., Induction of cell specific apoptosis and protection from Dalton, Indian J Pharmacol, 37(4), 232-237.
- Bernfeld P. (1955)., Amylase α &β., methods in enzymology. Academic Press, USA, 1, 149-158.
- Azeem A.K., Dilip C., Prasanth S.S. and Junise V. (2010)., Anti-inflammatory activity of glandular extract of Thannus alalunga., Asi. Pac. J. For Med., 3(10), 412-420.
- Shamima Akter , Rahman Ataur, Azad Abul Kalam, Mohiuddin md, Mamun Abdullah Al, Sarker Jyotirmoy, Islam Mohammad Safiqul and Sarwar Shahid (2014)., Antidiabetic and thrombolytic effects of ethanolic extract of Spilanthes paniculata leaves., Journal of Plant Sciences 2(6-1), 13-18.
- Barman S., Sahu N., Deka S., Dutta S. and Das S. (2009)., Antiinflammatory and analgesic activity of leaves of Spilanthesacmella(ELSA) in experimental animal models., Pharmacologyonline, 1027-1034
- Suphapong Saowapa, Worachartcheewan Apilak, Lawung Ratana, Ruchirawat Somsak and Prachayasittikul Virapong (2009)., Bioactive Metabolites from Spilanthesacmella Murr., Molecules, 14(2), 850-867. doi:10.3390/molecules14020850
- Tiwari K.L., Jadhav S.K. and Joshi V. (2011)., An updated review on medicinal herb genus Spilanthes., Chin. J.Integr. Med., 9(11), 1170-1178.