Effect of natural and synthetic dyes on human health
- 1Pakistan Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Laboratories Complex, Ferozepur Road, Lahore, 54600, Pakistan and College of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of the Punjab, Lahore
- 2Pakistan Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Laboratories Complex, Ferozepur Road, Lahore, 54600, Pakistan
- 3Pakistan Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Laboratories Complex, Ferozepur Road, Lahore, 54600, Pakistan
- 4Institute of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of the Punjab, Lahore
- 5Institute of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of the Punjab, Lahore
- 6Pakistan Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Laboratories Complex, Ferozepur Road, Lahore, 54600, Pakistan
- 7Pakistan Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Laboratories Complex, Ferozepur Road, Lahore, 54600, Pakistan
- 8Pakistan Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Laboratories Complex, Ferozepur Road, Lahore, 54600, Pakistan
- 9Pakistan Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Laboratories Complex, Ferozepur Road, Lahore, 54600, Pakistan
- 10Pakistan Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Laboratories Complex, Ferozepur Road, Lahore, 54600, Pakistan
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 6, Issue (10), Pages 23-29, October,10 (2017)
Food dyes are added to enhance the quality perception of the food. Dyes are of two categories natural dyes and artificial dyes. Natural dyes are extracted from the plants or animal source. So they are quite expensive and not available in large quantity. Artificial dyes are petroleum based products and constitutes aromatic rings. Dyes are extensively used in food items like candies, bakery, confectionery, drinks, rice, cooked as well as processed foods. Despite of its extensive use the ill-health situations caused by over-dosed use of dyes must not be underlooked. Multiple disorders are related to the toxicity of the artificial dyes. Dyes are potentially mutagenic either directly or indirectly.
- Barrows J.N., Lipman A.L. and Bailey C.J. (2003)., Color additives: FDA’s regulatory process and historical perspectives., Food Safety Magazine, 1.
- Tripathi M., Khanna S.K. and Das M. (2007)., Surveillance on use of synthetic colours in eatables vis a vis Prevention of Food Adulteration Act of India., Food Control, 18(3), 211-219.
- Yang B., Gao Y., Liu X., Li Y. and Zhao J. (2009)., Adsorption characteristics of crocin in the extract of gardenia fruits (Gardenia jasminoides Ellis) on macroporous resins., Journal of food process engineering, 32(1), 35-52.
- Dixit S., Purshottam S.K., Gupta S.K., Khanna S.K. and Das M. (2010)., Usage pattern and exposure assessment of food colours in different age groups of consumers in the State of Uttar Pradesh, India., Food Additives and Contaminants, 27(2), 181-189.
- Sharma V., McKone H.T. and Markow P.G. (2010)., A global perspective on the history, use, and identification of synthetic food dyes., Journal of Chemical Education, 88(1), 24-28.
- Zahra N., Alim-un-Nisa I.K., Fatima S., Khan H., Akhlaq F., Butt I.F. and Hina S. (2016)., Identification of Synthetic Food Dyes in Various Candies., Pak. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol, 49(1), 09-17.
- Abdullah S.U., Badaruddin M., Sayeed S.A., Ali R. and Riaz M.N. (2008)., Binding ability of Allura Red with food proteins and its impact on protein digestibility., Food chemistry, 110(3), 605-610.
- Chequer F.M.D., de Paula Venâncio V., Bianchi M.D.L.P. and Antunes L.M.G. (2012)., Genotoxic and mutagenic effects of erythrosine B, a xanthene food dye, on HepG2 cells., Food and Chemical Toxicology, 50(10), 3447-3451.
- Zhao J., Wu T., Wu K., Oikawa K., Hidaka H. and Serpone N. (1998)., Photoassisted degradation of dye pollutants. 3. Degradation of the cationic dye rhodamine B in aqueous anionic surfactant/TiO2 dispersions under visible light irradiation: evidence for the need of substrate adsorption on TiO2 particles., Environmental science & technology, 32(16), 2394-2400.
- Shakir K., Elkafrawy A.F., Ghoneimy H.F., Beheir S.G.E. and Refaat M. (2010)., Removal of rhodamine B (a basic dye) and thoron (an acidic dye) from dilute aqueous solutions and wastewater simulants by ion flotation., Water research, 44(5), 1449-1461.
- Suzuki S., Shirao M., Aizawa M., Nakazawa H., Sasa K. and Sasagawa H. (1994)., Determination of synthetic food dyes by capillary electrophoresis., Journal of Chromatography A., 680(2), 541-547.
- Chanlon S., Joly-Pottuz L., Chatelut M., Vittori O. and Cretier J.L. (2005)., Determination of Carmoisine, Allura red and Ponceau 4R in sweets and soft drinks by Differential Pulse Polarography., Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 18(6), 503-515.
- Puttemans M.L., Dryon L. and Massart D.L. (1984)., Extraction of organic acids by ion-pair formation with tri-n-octylamine., Part V. Simultaneous determination of synthetic dyes, benzoic acid, sorbic acid, and saccharin in soft drinks and lemonade syrups. Journal-Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 67(5), 880-885.
- Purba M.K., Agrawal N. and Shukla S.K. (2015)., Detection of Non-Permitted Food Colors in Edibles., Journal of Forensic Research, (S4), 1.
- Authority European Food Safety (2015)., Refined exposure assessment for Ponceau 4R (E 124)., EFSA Journal, 13(4).
- Horowitz C.R., Colson K.A., Hebert P.L. and Lancaster K. (2004)., Barriers to buying healthy foods for people with diabetes: evidence of environmental disparities., American Journal of Public Health, 94(9), 1549-1554.
- Giusti M.M. and Wrolstad R.E. (2003)., Acylated anthocyanins from edible sources and their applications in food systems., Biochemical Engineering Journal, 14(3), 217-225.
- Obón J.M., Castellar M.R., Alacid M. and Fernández-López J.A. (2009)., Production of a red–purple food colorant from Opuntia stricta fruits by spray drying and its application in food model systems., Journal of Food Engineering, 90(4), 471-479.
- McCann D., Barrett A., Cooper A., Crumpler D., Dalen L., Grimshaw K., Kitchin E., Lok K., Porteous L., Prince E. and Sonuga-Barke E. (2007)., Food additives and hyperactive behaviour in 3-year-old and 8/9-year-old children in the community: a randomised, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial., The lancet, 370(9598), 1560-1567.
- Mapari S.A., Nielsen K.F., Larsen T.O., Frisvad J.C., Meyer A.S. and Thrane U. (2005)., Exploring fungal biodiversity for the production of water-soluble pigments as potential natural food colorants., Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 16(2), 231-238.
- Watanabe T. and Terabe S. (2000)., Analysis of natural food pigments by capillary electrophoresis., Journal of Chromatography A, 880(1), 311-322.
- Nagai S. (1959)., Induction of the respiration-deficient mutation in yeast by various synthetic dyes., Science, 130(3383), 1188-1189.
- Saleem N. and Umar Z.N. (2013)., Survey on the use of synthetic Food Colors in Food Samples procured from different educational institutes of Karachi city., Journal of tropical life science, 3(1), 1-7.
- Brown M.A. and De Vito S.C. (1993)., Predicting azo dye toxicity., Critical reviews in environmental science and technology, 23(3), 249-324.
- Alim N., Zahra N. and Akhlaq F. (2015)., Detection of Sudan dyes in different spices., Pakistan Journal of Food Sciences, 25(3), 144-149.
- Combes R.D. and Haveland-Smith R.B. (1982)., A review of the genotoxicity of food, drug and cosmetic colours and other azo, triphenylmethane and xanthene dyes., Mutation Research/Reviews in genetic toxicology, 98(2), 101-243.
- Brown J.P., Roehm G.W. and Brown R.J. (1978)., Mutagenicity testing of certified food colors and related azo, xanthene and triphenylmethane dyes with the Salmonella/microsome system., Mutation Research/ Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis, 56(3), 249-271.
- Kanarek R.B. (2011)., Artificial food dyes and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder., Nutrition reviews, 69(7), 385-391.
- Millichap J.G. and Yee M.M. (2012)., The diet factor in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder., Pediatrics, 129(2), 330-337.
- Bateman B., Warner J.O., Hutchinson E., Dean T., Rowlandson P., Gant C., Grundy J., Fitzgerald C. and Stevenson J. (2004)., The effects of a double blind, placebo controlled, artificial food colourings and benzoate preservative challenge on hyperactivity in a general population sample of preschool children., Archives of Disease in Childhood, 89(6), 506-511.
- Stevens L.J., Kuczek T., Burgess J.R., Hurt E. and Arnold L.E. (2011)., Dietary sensitivities and ADHD symptoms: thirty-five years of research., Clinical pediatrics, 50(4), 279-293.
- Ashfaq N. and Masud T. (2002)., Surveillance on artifical colours in different ready to eat foods., Pakistan J Nutr, 5, 223-225.
- Siva R. (2007)., Status of natural dyes and dye-yielding plants in India., Current Science, 92(7), 916-925.