DNA barcoding for identification of Conocephalus dorsalis (Orthoptera: Tettigoniidae) from Northern Kerala using Cytochrome Oxidase Subunit I Gene
- 1Department of Biotechnology, SAS SNDP Yogam College Konni, Pathanamthitta, Kerala 689 691, India
- 2Molecular Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Calicut, Kerala 673 635, India
- 3Molecular Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Calicut, Kerala 673 635, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 6, Issue (10), Pages 8-10, October,10 (2017)
Grasshoppers are widely distributed in all ecosystems. Tettigoniidae is a family of grasshoppers including katydids or bush crickets in the order Orthoptera. Approximately 6,400 species of Tettigoniids are found around the world. Conocephalus dorsalis, Tettigoniidae family, was collected from rice fields of Northern Kerala. It is an omnivorous insect that feeds grasses, seeds and small insects including pests. They are predators on rice field, controlling pest populations. The present study deals with species identification and revealed phylogenetic history of C. dorsalis using cytochrome oxidase subunit I (COI) gene encoded as mitochondria. The COI gene of C. dorsalis, 589bp are sequenced and obtained was deposited in the NCBI GenBank.
- Thakkar Bhumi, Parmar Suzen and Parikh Pragna (2015)., Study on Diversity of Orthoptera fauna in South Gujarat, India., International Journal of Pure and Applied Zoology, 3(4), 368-374.
- Mahasneh A. and Katbeh Barder A. (2004)., A taxonomic study on the long horned grasshoppers of Jordan (Orthoptera: Tettigoniidae)., Biologiezentrum, 2, 245-264.
- Miskelly James (2013)., Firth North American records of Conocephalus dorsalis (Latereille 1804) (Orthoptera: Tettigoniidae)., The Pan Pacific Entomologist, 89(1), 69-71.
- Helda Orbani Rosa and Mariana (2014)., Predators and Parasitoids on Ricefields of Back Swamp and Tidal Swamp Lands in South Kalimantan., International Journal of Science and Research, 3(10), 759-763.
- Hebert Paul D.N. and Gregory Ryan T. (2005)., The promise of DNA Barcoding for Taxonomy., Systematic Biology, 54(5), 852-859.
- McCleanaghan Beverly, Gibson Joel F., Shokralla Shadi and Hajibabaei Mehrad (2015)., Discrimination of grasshopper (Orthoptera: Acrididae) diet and nich overlap using next generation sequencing of gut contents., Ecology and Evolution, 5(15), 3046-3055.
- Mashhoor K., Akhilesh V.P., Sebastian C.D., Rosy P.A. and Kottickal L.V. (2012)., Molecular Phylogenetic Status of Microcentrum rhombifolium in the Family Tettigoniidae., Developmental Microbiology and Molecular Biology, 3, 9-15.
- Jisha Krishnan E.K. and Sebastian C.D. (2015)., Species Authentication and Taxonomic Relationship Assessment of Ceriagrion coromandelianum (Fabricus) (Zygoptera: Coenogrianidae) using the Molecular Marker Cytochrome Oxidase I gene., International Journal of Current Research, 7(12), 23997-23999.
- Ruksana K. and Sebastian C.D. (2015)., Genetic Diversity of the Cigratte Beetle Lasioderma serricorne (Fabricus) Derived from Mithochondrial DNA Sequence., International Journal of Pharma and Bioscience, 6(3), 877-882.
- Sreejith K. and Sebastian C.D. (2015)., Molecular Phylogeny of Thaia subrufa Based on the Mitochondrial Cytochrome Oxidase Subunit I (COI) gene., Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies, 3(3), 135-139.
- Akhilesh V.P. and Sebastian C.D. (2014)., Molecular barcoding and Phylogeny analysis of Herpetogramma stulasis (Lepidoptera: Crambidae) using COI gene sequence., International Journal of Advanced Life Science, 7(3), 463-466.
- Sanger F. and Coulson A.R. (1975)., A rapid method for determining sequences in DNA by primed synthesis with DNA polymerase., Journal of Molecular Biology, 94(3), 441-448.
- Tamura K., Stecher G., Peterson D., Filipski A. and Kumar S. (2013)., MEGA6: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis Version 6.0., Molecular Biology and Evolution, 30(12),2725-2729.