Quantification of LUPEOL in Excoecaria agallocha Leaf, Stem and Root by HPTLC
- 1School of Environment and Sustainable Development, Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar – 382030, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India
- 2School of Environment and Sustainable Development, Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar – 382030, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 6, Issue (1), Pages 1-5, January,10 (2017)
An attempt to augment to quantify Lupeol, pharmacologically bioactive triterpenoid in the Excoecaria Agallocha mangrove (methanol extracts of leaf, stem, root parts), has been made. A HPTLC method was developed with the combination of n- Hexane: Ethyl acetate: Methanol (9:1:1 v/v) as solvent system and TLC silica gel 60 F254plates as stationary phase under constant room temperature and relative humidity of 26.1 ± 0.4 0C and 76 ± 2 % respectively. Detection and quantification were performed by densitometry scanning at 540 nm after derivatization with Anisaldehide Sulfuric Acid Reagent (ASR). This method gave compact spots at RF 0.31 corresponding to Lupeol. As a result, the content of Lupeol in the leaf, stem and root were found 492.42 ng, 704.23 ng and 728.15 ng respectively as well as % amount (w/w) of Lupeol in the leaf, stem and root were found 0.09948, 0.14085 and 0.14568 respectively.
- Dawane V., Pathak B. and Fulekar M.H. (2016)., HPTLC pattern assessment of Avicennia marina stem and spectrometric analysis of the separated phyto-constituents., Biosci. Biotech. Res. Comm., 9(1), 114-120.
- Bandarnayake W.M. (1998)., Traditional and Medicinal uses of mangroves., Mangroves and Salt Marshes, 2(3), 133–148.
- Bandarnayake W.M. (2002)., Bioactivities, bioactive compounds and chemical constituents of mangrove plants., Wetlands Ecological Management, 10(6), 421-452.
- Saranraj P. and Sujitha D. (2015)., Mangrove Medicinal Plants: A Review., American-Eurasian Journal of Toxicological Sciences, 7(3), 146-156.
- Simlai A. and Roy A. (2013)., Biological activities and chemical constituents of some mangrove species from Sundarban estuary: An overview., Pharmacogn Rev., 7(14), 170–178.
- Kathiresan K. and Thangam T.S. (1987)., Biotoxicity of Excoecaria agallocha latex on marine organisms., Current Science, 56(7), 314-315.
- Kathiresan K. and Thangam T.S. (1987)., Light induced effects of latex of Excoecaria agallocha L. on salt marsh mosquito Culex sitiens L J Marine Biol., Journal Marine Biological Association of India, 29(1/2), 378-380.
- Ravikumar S., Inbaneson S.J., Suganthi P., Venkatesan M. and Ramu A. (2011)., Mangrove plants as a source of lead compounds for the development of new antiplasmodial drugs from South East coast of India., Parasitology Research, 108 (6), 1405-1410.
- Margareth B.C.G. and Miranda J.S. (2009)., Biological activities of Lupeol., International Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 3(1), 46–66.
- Saleem M. (2009)., Lupeol, A Novel Anti-inflammatory and Anti-cancer Dietary Triterpene., Cancer Lett., 285(2), 109–115.
- Siddique H.R. and Saleem M. (2011)., Beneficial health effects of lupeol triterpene: A review of preclinical studies., Life Sciences, 88(7), 285–293.
- Wagner H., Bladt S. and Zgainski E.M. (1996)., Plant drug analysis-A TLC atlas., edition 2nd, Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, Germany, 163-200, ISBN: 3-540-596-76-8.
- Gautam A., Kashyap S.J., Sharma P.K., Garg V.K., Visht S. and Kumar N. (2010)., Identification, evaluation and standardization of herbal drugs: A review., Der Pharmacia Lettre, 2(6), 302-315.
- Bimal N. and Sekhon B.S. (2013)., High Performance Thin layer Chromatography: Application in Pharmaceutical Science., PhTechMed, 2(4), 323-333.
- Morlock G. and Schwack W. (2006)., Determination of isopropylthioxanthone (ITX) in milk, yoghurt and fat by HPTLC-FLD, HPTLC-ESI/MS and HPTLC-DART/MS., Analytical and bioanalytical chemistry, 385(3), 586-595.
- Dawane V. and Fulekar M.H. (2016)., Development of HPTLC methods for Isolation and Physical Characterization of botanical reference material of Avicennia marina Stem., Biosci. Biotech. Res. Comm., 9(4), 841-849.