Assessment of Hydrobiological Parameters in Manakudy Estuary, South West Coast of India
- 1Department of zoology, Muslim Arts and Science College, India
- 2Centre for Marine Science and technology, M.S. University, India
- 3Department of zoology, Muslim Arts and Science College, India
- 4Centre for Marine Science and technology, M.S. University, India
- 5Centre for Marine Science and technology, M.S. University, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 5, Issue (3), Pages 46-50, March,10 (2016)
In the present study area, the hydrobiological parameters were subjected to temporary variations. High atmospheric temperature, salinity impacts would have also increased the oxygen concentration in water. Indiscriminate use of fertilizers by the aquculturists might have contaminated the water with rich nutrients such as nitrates and phosphates which stimulate the growth of aquatic plants algae.
- Karande A.A. (1991)., Use of epifaunal communities in pollution monitoring., J. Environ. Biol, 191-200.
- Kumar R., Singh R.D. and Sharma K.D. (2005)., Water resources of India., Current Science, 89(5), 794-811.
- Padmavathi G. and Goswami S.C. (1996)., Zooplankton Composition in Vellar Estuary in Relation to Shrimp Farming., Indian. J. Mar. Sci., 25, 268-273.
- Schmidt S., Gonzalez J.L., Lecroart P., Tronczynski J., Billy I. and Jouanneau J.M. (2007)., Bioturbation at the water-sediment inter-face of the Thau Lagoon: impact of shellfish farming., Aquatic Living Ressources, 20, 163–169.
- Zolina O., Simmer C., Gulev S.K. and Kollet S. (2010)., Changing structure of European precipitation: Longer wet periods leading to more abundant rainfall., Geophys. Res. Lett, 37, L06704, doi: 10.1029/ 2010GL042468.
- Gadhia M., Surana R. and Ansari E. (2012)., Seasonal variation in Physico-Chemical Characteristics of Tapi Estuary in Hazira Industrial Area., Our Nature, 10, 249-257.
- American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association, and Water Pollution Control Federation (1985)., Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater., (16th ed.), Washington, D.C, American Public Health Association, 905.
- Sundaramanickam A., Sivakumar T., Kumaran R., Ammaiappan V. and Velappan R. (2008)., A Comparitive study of physic-chemical Investigation along Parangipettai and Cuddalore Coast., Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 1(1), 1-10.
- Reddi K.R., Jayaraju N., Suryakumar I. and Sreenivas K. (1993)., Tidal fluctuations in relation to certain physic-chemical parameters in Swarnamukhi river estuary, east coast of India., Indian J. Mar. Sci., 22, 232-234.
- Nair K.K. and Tranter D.J. (1971)., Zooplankton distribution along salinity gradient in the Cochin backwater before and after monsoon., J. Mar. Biol. Ass. Indian, 13, 203-225.
- Verma Pradeep, Chandawat Deepika, Gupta Urvi and Solanki Hitesh. (2012)., Water Quality Analysis of an Organically Polluted Lake by Investigating Different Physical and Chemical Parameters., Int. J. Res. Chem. Environ, 2, 105-111.
- Prabhu A.V., Rajkumar M. and Perumal P. (2008)., Seasonal variations in physico-chemical characteristics of Pichavaram mangroves, southeast coast of India., Journal of Environmental Biology, 29, 945-950.
- Sundararaj V. and Krishnamurthy K. (1975)., Nutrients and plankton: Backwater and Mangrove Environment N. Natarajan (ed.)., Recent Researches in Estuarine Biology, Hindustan publishing Corporation (1) Delhi, 273-290.
- Govindasamy C., Kannan L. and Azariah J. (2000)., Seasonal variation in physic-chemical properties and primary production in the coastal water biotopes of Coromandel coast, India., Indian J. Environ. Biol., 21, 1-7.