Seasonal Correlation between Physico-chemical factors and phytoplankton density in Alwara taal of Kaushambi, UP, India
- 1Department of Zoology, Govt. P.G. College, Saidabad, Allahabad, 221508, UP, India
- 2Department of Zoology, Ewing Christian College, Allahabad, 211007, UP, India
- 3Department of Zoology, KAPG College, Allahabad, 211001, UP, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 5, Issue (3), Pages 40-45, March,10 (2016)
Present investigation is an attempt to assess the correlation between physico-chemical factors and phytoplankton density in Alwara taal of district Kaushambi, Uttar Pradesh. This taal (lake) has a vast dynamic landscape due to its wide openness, large standing water and extreme seasonal variations with huge biodiversity. The members of chlorophyceae group have been found dominant and determinative among the four classes of phytoplankton viz Chlorophyceae, Bacillariophyceae, Cyanophyceae and Euglenophyceae studied. The maximum density of phytoplankton 1243.5±107.6 (1512.7 - 988.5) unitsL-1 was recorded during winter with low water temperature 19.2±0.73 (20.4-17.5) oC and carbon dioxide 2.3±0.06 (2.5-2.2) mgL-1. The rainfall and flood water enhanced the total solids 734.9±27.94 (810.0-675.6) mgL-1 that resulted the minimum density 529.0±86.0 (783.5 - 418.9) unitsL-1 of phytoplankton in rainy season. More water temperature 26.1±2.03 (30.5-21.4) oC moderated the density 902.4±147.4 (1196.5 - 629.0 unitsL-1) of phytoplankton.
- Prakash S., Narain S. and Kumar S. (2014)., Conservation of the threatened Sarus Crane Grus antigone (Linnaeus, 1758) around Alwara Lake in Kaushambi District, Uttar Pradesh, India., Journal of Threatened Tax; 6, 5726-5730. http://dx.doi.org/10.11609.
- Verma A.K., Prakash S. and Kumar Sunil (2015)., Status and Ecology of Indian Sarus Crane, Grus antigone antigone in and around the Alwara Lake of District Kaushambi (U.P.)., International Journal of Environmental Sciences, 6(2), Jul-Dec, 331-335.
- Verma A.K. and Prakash Shri (2016)., Demographic studies of Indian Sarus Crane, Grus antigone antigone in and around Alwara Lake of District Kaushambi (U.P.), India., International Journal of Innovative Biological Research; 2016, 5(1):1-4.
- Prakash S., Verma A.K., Prakash S. (2015)., Seasonal variation of Zooplankton and Zoobenthos Population in Alwara lake of District Kaushambi (UP) India., Journal of Zoology Studies, 2(5), 13-16.
- Prakash S., Verma A.K., Kumar S. and Mishra B.K. (2015)., Monthlies variations in phytoplankton density in Alwara lake of District- Kaushambi (U.P.)., Global Journal for Research analysis, 4(12), DOI: 10.15373/22778160/December2015/62.
- Prakash S., Verma A.K. and Prakash Sadguru (2015)., Limnological Studies of Alwara Lake of Kaushambi (Uttar Pradesh)., International Journal on Biological Sciences, 6(2), 141-144.
- Verma A.K., Prakash S. and Mishra B.K. (2016)., Phytoplankton diversity in Alwara lake of district Kaushambi (U.P.)., Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies, 4(1), 170-172.
- Verma A.K., Prakash S. and Kumar S. (2016)., Increasing population trends of Indian Sarus Crane, Grus antigone antigone (Linnaeus, 1758) in and around Alwara Lake of District Kaushambi (U.P.),, India. International Journal of Environmental Biology, 6(1), 1-3.
- Prakash S. and Verma A.K. (2016)., Marital fidelity and congregation of Indian sarus crane, Grus antigone antigone in and around Alwara lake of district Kaushambi (Uttar Pradesh), India., International Journal of Biological Research; 4 (1) doi: 10.14419/ijbr.v4i1.5692.10-13.
- Sterner R.W. (2002)., Report for 2002 MN7B: Biodiversity in urban ponds and lakes: human effects on plankton populations., Department of Ecology. Evolution and Behavior, University of Minnesota. 13 http://water.usgs.gov/wrri/02grants/prog-compl-reports/2002MN7B.pdf -28/01/2016.
- Ferrareze M. (2012)., The effect of the land use on phytoplankton assemblages of a Cerrado stream., Acta Limnologica Brasiliensia, 24, 1, http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1590/S2179-975X20120 05000025.
- APHA (2005)., Standard methods for Examination of water and waste water., American Public Health Association 21st Ed. APHA, New York.
- Wilkinson (1982)., Mystat: A student vesion of SYSTAT. SYSTAT Software., Inc. 225 W. Washington Street, Ste. 425 Chicago, IL 60606. http://www.systat.com.
- Kumar A. and Watal G. (2006)., Flow of chemical energy in Alwara jheel of Yamuna basin near Allahabad., Journal of Environmental Biology, 27, 545-549. www.jeb.co.in.
- Hossain M.I., Alam M.M., Alam M., Kamal B.M.M. and Galib S.M. (2013)., Investigation of phytoplankton and physico-chemical parameters in nursery, Growout and Broodstock Ponds., Journal of Science and Research, 5, 555-571. http://dx.doi.org/10.3329/jsr.v5i3. 14886-28/01/2016.
- Munawar M. (1970)., Limnological studies of fresh water ponds Hyderabad, India., The biotype. Hydrobiologia, 35, 127-162 http://link.springer.com/article/ 10.1007% 2FBF00 751286.
- Majagi S.H. (2013)., Inland water ecology of India., Daya Publishing House (Astral International Pvt. Ltd.) New Delhi, India-110 002, 168-181.
- Imam G. and Khan A.A. (2014)., Limnological studies in a seasonal pond of Nawada district., Proc. Zool. Soc. India. 13(2), 11-14.