Formulation of low-cost Fish feed using locally available agro-based wastes and its efficacy on growth performance of common Carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) - A case study from Apatani landscape of Arunachal Pradesh in Northeast India
- 1Department of Ecology and Environmental Science, Assam University, Silchar, 788011, Assam, India
- 2Department of Ecology and Environmental Science, Assam University, Silchar, 788011, Assam, India
- 3Department of Zoology, Rajiv Gandhi University, Rono Hills, Itanagar, 791112, Arunachal Pradesh, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 5, Issue (3), Pages 61-67, March,10 (2016)
The present study was done to formulate a low-cost fish feed using locally available agro-based waste, and to test its efficacy on growth of common carp (Cyprinus carpio). The study was done in context of increasing fish production in the rice-fish system of the Apatani landscape of Arunachal Pradesh in Northeast India. Nutrient content analyses of the formulated fish-feed showed it to be comparable with the standard feed material. Efficacy test of the formulated feed under laboratory condition showed that specific growth rate and condition factor of the stocked fish were significantly more when it was fed with a low dose of the formulated feed (i.e., @ 3% of the initial body weight). Overall, the study highlighted the possibility of increasing fish production in the rice-fish system of Apatani Plateau by exploiting the existing agro-based wastes. This may help in upliftment of the rural economy and sustainability of the region.
- Halwart M. and Gupta M.V. (2004)., Culture of fish in rice fields., FAO and the World Fish Center, 1-83.
- Saikia S.K. and Das D.N. (2004)., Aji gnui assonii – A practice of organic hill farming among the Apatani tribe of Eastern Himalaya., Int. J. Sustain. Dev. World Ecol., 11, 211-217.
- Saha R.K. and Nath D. (2013)., Indigenous traditional knowledge (ITK) of fish farmers at Dhalai district of Tripura, NE India., Indian Journal of traditional knowledge, 12(1), 80-84.
- Zhang R. (1995)., Scientiﬁc and technological development of rice-ﬁsh culture in China., In MacKay, K.T. (Eds) Rice-ﬁsh culture in China. International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Ottawa, Canada, 23-30.
- Halwart M. (1998)., Trends in rice-fish farming., FAN, the FAO Aquaculture Newsletter, 18, 3-11.
- Capasso A. (2013)., Antioxidant action and therapeutic efficacy of Allium sativum L., Molecules, 18, 690-700.
- Raghuramulu N., Nair K. Madhavan and Kalyanasundaram S. (1983)., A Manual of Laboratory Techniques., National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research, Jamai-Osmania, Hyderabad, India, 1-559.
- Okalebo J.R., Gathua K.W. and Woomer P.L. (1993)., Laboratory Methods of Soil and Plant Analysis: A working manual., TSBF-UNESCO, Nairobi, EPZ Publishers, Nairobi, Kenya, 1- 88.
- Sadasivam S. and Manickam A. (1996)., Biochemical Methods., 2nd Edition. New Age International Private Limited, New Delhi, 1-256.
- Fulton T.W. (1911)., The Sovereignty of the Sea., Blackwood, Edinburgh and London, 1-480.
Bhuiyan A.S. and Biswas B. (1982)., Studies on the morphometry of Puntius chola (Hamilton-Buchnan)(Cyprinidae; Cypriniformes)., Univ. J. Zool. Rajshahi Univ., 1, 29-34.
Studies on the morphometry of Puntius chola (Hamilton-Buchnan)(Cyprinidae; Cypriniformes) Google Scholar
- Lovell T. (1988)., Nutrition and Feeding of Fish., Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1-260.
- Dhawan A. and Kaur S. (2002)., Effect of pig dung on water quality and polyculture of carp species during winter and summer., Aquacult. Int., 10, 297-307.
- Choudhury D., Pal A.K., Sahu N.P., Kumar S., Das S.S. and Mukherjee S.C. (2005)., Dietary yeast RNA supplementation reduces mortality by Aeromonas hydrophila in rohu (Labeo rohita L.) juveniles., Fish and Shellﬁsh Immunology, 19, 281-291.
- APHA. (2012)., Standard methods for examination of water and wastewater., 22nd Edition. American Public Health Association, New York, 1-1496.
- Hammer Ø., Harper D.A.T. and Ryan P.D. (2001)., PAST: Paleontological statistics software package for education and data analysis., Palaeontologia Electronica, 4(1), 9.
- Mohapatra S.B. and Patra A.K. (2014)., Growth response of common carp (Cyprinus carpio) to different feed ingredients incorporate diets., Advances in Applied Science Research, 5(1), 169-173.
- Hassan M.A. (2015)., Innovation in feeds and feeding practices., http://msam.nic.in. 22/04/ 2015.
- Schreurs H. (1992)., Cyanobacterial dominance, relations to eutrophication and lake morphology., Ph.D. thesis, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1-198.
- Boyd C.E. (1998)., Water quality for pond aquaculture., Research and Development Series No. 43. International Center for Aquaculture and Aquatic Environments, Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station, Auburn University, Alabama, 1-482.
- Das P., Singh S. Khogen, Mandal S.C. and Bhagabati S.K. (2015)., Management of water quality in fish ponds for maximizing fish production., http://aquafind.com. 22/04/ 2015.