Allelopathic Effects of Lantana camara on Seed Growth behaviour of Wheat (Triticum aestivum) and Mustard (Brassica campestris)
- 1Tree Biology Laboratory, Department of Botany, HNBGU Campus Badsahithaul Tehri, Tehri Garhwal (UK) -249199 India
- 2Tree Biology Laboratory, Department of Botany, HNBGU Campus Badsahithaul Tehri, Tehri Garhwal (UK) -249199 India
- 3Tree Biology Laboratory, Department of Botany, HNBGU Campus Badsahithaul Tehri, Tehri Garhwal (UK) -249199 India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 5, Issue (12), Pages 43-48, December,10 (2016)
Lantana camara have been selected for present study to investigate their allelopathic effects on wheat and mustard. Seeds of the applied crops treated with different concentration of L.camera leaf aqueous extract viz. 2%,4%,6% & 8% and its allelopathic effects on different parameters i.e. seed germination, mortality percentage and seedling growth have been observed. Study showed that the higher concentration of L.camara leaf aqueous caused more deleterious effects and reduced the growth rate of treated seeds than the lower concentration in all the observed parameters. Lantana is a major weed with the potential to spread to all medium rainfall rangeland and agricultural areas. Lanana can produce serious allergic problem in human beings and posses a potential risk to most agricultural areas.
- Baker H.G. (1974)., The evolution of weeds., Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst., 5, 1–24.
- Callaway R.M. and Aschehoug E.T. (2000)., Invasive plants versus their new and old neighbours: A mechanism for exotic invasion., Sci., 290,521–523.
- Sharma S.K. and Choyal R.R. (2011)., Allelopathic effects of Lantana camara (Linn) on regeneration in Funaria hygrometrica., Ind. Jour. of fundamental and Applied Life Sci., 1(2), 154-156.
- Giles K.L. (1971)., Differentiation and regeneration in Bryophytes., New Zealand J. Hort., 9, 689-694.
- Lalfakzuala R., Kayang H. and Dkhar M.S. (2006)., Effect of fertilizers on soil microbial biomas under Legumonious cultivation., Asian J. of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Environmental Sci., 8(3), 623-631.
- Chopra R.S. and Kumar S.S. (1961)., Regeneration studies in Atrichum pallis., Bulletin of Botanical Society, Sagar University 13, 65-70.
- Ghisalberti E.L. (2000)., Review. Lantana camara (Verbenaceae)., Fitoterapia. 71,467-486.
- Bhatt Y.D., Rawat Y.S. and Singh S.P. (1994)., Changes in ecosystem functioning after replacement of forest by Lantana shrub land in Kumaon Himalaya., J. Veg. Sci., 5(1), 67-70.
- Gentle C.B. and Duggin J.A. (1997)., Disruption of native plant-pollinator interactions by invasive species., Biotropica, 36(2), 156-164.
- James W., Steinsiek Lawrence R., Oliver Fred C. and Collings C. (1982)., Aallelopatic potential of wheat (Triticum aestivum) straw on selected weed species., Weed sci., 30(5), 495-497.
- OP Sharma, HPS Makkar, RK Dawra (1988)., A review of the noxious plant Lantana camara., Toxicon 26, 975-987.
- L Hedenäs (2001)., Environmental factors potentially affecting character states in Plenrocarpous mosses., Bryologist, 104, 72-91.
- R Jain, M Singh, DJ Dezman (1989)., Qualitative and quantitative characterization of Phenolic compound from Lantana (L. camara) leaves., Weed Sci., 37, 302-307.
- Saxena M.K. (2000)., Aqueous leachate of Lantana camara kills water hyacinth., J. Chem. Ecol., 26, 2435-2447.
- Labbafy M.R., Maighany F., Hejazy A., Khalaj H. and Baghestany A.M. (2009)., Study of allelopathic interaction of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) and rye (Secale cereal L.) Using equal-agar compartment method., Asian J. of agricultural sci., 1(2), 25-28.
- Yang C.M., Lee C.N. and Chou C.H. (2002)., Effect of three allelopathic phenolics on chlorophyll accumulation of rice (Oryza sativa) seedling: 1., Inhibition of supply orientation, institute of Botany, Academic Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Khatib A.A., Hegazy A.K. and Gala H.K. (2004)., Does allelopathy have a role in the ecology of Chenopodium murale?., Annual Botany Fennici, 41, 37-45.