Microclonal Propagation of Grapevine (Vitis vinifera L.) cv. Al-Bayadi. Grown in Taif, KSA
- 1Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering Research Unit, Scientific Research Center, Taif University, Taif, Al-Haweiah, P.O. Box 888, Zip code 21974, Taif, KSA
- 2Agricultural Genetic Engineering Research Institute, Agricultural Research Center, P.O. Box, 12619, Giza, Egypt
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 5, Issue (12), Pages 24-27, December,10 (2016)
A protocol for rapid multiplication of Grapevine (Vitis vinifera L.) cv. Al-Bayadi. Grown in Taif, Saudi Arabia was developed using shoot tips and internodes segments explants excised from mature plants in filed. Explants were cultured on Murashige and Skoog (MS) medium with different concentrations of BAP (6-Benzylaminopurine) (0.0, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 and 2 mg/l) to investigate in vitro stages shoot initiation, multiplication and elongation. Effect of different concentrations of IBA (Indole-3-butyric acid) (0.0, 0.1, 1.0 and 2 mg/l) and 0.1 mg/l of NAA (Naphthalene acetic acid) on root formation of shoots were studied. The highest percentage of shoot initiation (90%), maximum average number of multiplied shoots (3.7) and highest average number of elongated shoots (3.6) were observed on MS medium supplemented with 2 mg/l BAP. For rooting, highest percentage (100%) of rooted shoots was obtained on MS medium supplemented with 2 mg/l IBA+0.1 mg/l NAA. Plantlets with 4 to 5 roots of 3 to 5 cm length were transferred to pots containing sterile peat moss for acclimatization in greenhouse.
- H Ahmad (2013)., Introduction To horticulture., New York. Tornto London.
- FAO STAT (2012)., FAOSTAT: Statistical Database., 10 February http://faostat.fao.org.
- Hartmann H.T. and Kester D.E. (1975)., Plant Propagation: Principles and Practices, 4th edition., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 727.
- Gray D.J. and Fisher L.C. (1986)., In vitro shoot propagation of grape species, hybrids and cultivars., Proceedings of the Florida State Horticulture Society, 98, 172-174.
- Vasil I.K. and Thorpe T.A. (2013)., Plant cell and tissue culture., Kluwer Acad. Pub., Netherlands. 293-312.
- Morel G. (1944)., Le développement du mildiou sur des tissus de vigne cultives in vitro., C.R. Hebd Seances Académie des sciences, 218, 50-52.
- Read P.E. (2004)., Micropropagation: Past Present and Future., Acta Horticulturae, 748, 17-27.
- Torregrosa L., Bouquet A. and Goussard P.G. (2001)., In vitro culture and propagation of grapevine. In: Molecular Biology and Biotechnology of the Grapevine., Roubelakis-Angelakis, K. (ed.). Kluwer Academic Publishers, Amsterdam, pp195-240.
- Nas M.N., Eskridge K.M. and Read P.E. (2005)., Experimental designs suitable for testing many factors with limited number of explants in tissue culture., Plant Cell Tiss Org., 81, 213–220.
- Heloir M.C., Fournioux J.C., Oziol L. and Bessis R. (1997)., An improved procedure for the propagation in vitro of grapevine (Vitis vinifera cv. Pinot noir) using axillary-bud microcuttings., Plant Cell Tiss Org., 49:223-225.
- Karp A. (1989)., Can genetic instability be controlled in plant tissue cultures., International Association of Plant Tissue Culture Newsletter, 58, 2.
- Bumagina S.I., Khachumova S.S., Shamova N.M. and Butenko R.G. (1988)., In vitro Culture of avillary buds of grape., Biologiya –Kul
- KT Bird, JR Johnson, J Jewett-Smith (1998)., In vitro culture of the sea grass Halophila decipiens., Aquat Bot., 60(4), 377-387.
- Hwang J.H. and Kim S.K. (1990)., The effect of plant growth regulator on in vitro growth of differentially chilled grape shoots., J Korean Soc Hortic Sci., 31(2), 142-149.
- Yea B.W., Shin Y.U., Kang D.S., Lee D.K., Choo K.S., Monn Y.J. and Hwang J.S. (1990)., Factors affecting lateral shoot proliferation in grapevine CV. Rizamat., in vitro, Horticulture, 32(3): 34-41.
- Gray D.J. and Benton C.M. (1991)., In vitro micro-propagation and plant establishment of muscadine grape cultivars (Vitis rotundifolia)., Plant Cell Tiss Org., 27 (1), 7-14.
- Minal M., Salunkhe C.K., Rao P.S. and Mhatre M. (2000)., Micropropagation of Vitis vinifera L: towards an improved protocol., Scientia Horiculturae, 84(3-4), 357-363.
- Lee N. and Wetzstein H.Y. (1990)., In vitro propagation of muscadine grape By axillary shoot proliferation., J Amer Soc Hort Sci., 115(2), 32-329.
- Hamed A.M., Ali E.A.M. and Ehab B.S. (2007)., In vitro propagation of jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus L.)., J. appl. sci. res., 3(3), 218-226.
- MB Wilkins, VM Jiménez, E Guevara, SF Pascholati (1984)., Advanced Plant Physiology., The Bath Press, Avon, 13-15.
- Lewandowski V.T. (1991)., Rooting and Acclimatization of Micropropagated Vitis labruscaDelaware., Hortic Sci., 26, 586-589.
- MS Barreto, A Nookaraju - Indian Journal of Horticulture ( 2007)., Effect of auxin types on in vitro and ex vitro rooting and acclimatization of grapevine as influenced by substrates., Indian J Hortic., 64(1), 11-17.
- Butiuc-keul A.L., A. Cotse, Bcraciunas A. Halmagyl, A. Deliu, C. Farago, M. Iliescu and Iuoras, R. (2008)., In vitro clonal propagation of several grapevine cultivars., Acta Hortculturae (ISHS), 83, 151-156.