Optimization of operating conditions for biosorption of chromium by Aspergillus niger isolated from contaminated soil
- 1SNGGPG College, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India
- 2Barkatullah University, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 10, Issue (4), Pages 29-33, November,10 (2021)
In recent years, the fungal biomass is used as a biosorbent for the removal of hazardous pollutants and heavy metal ions from various industrial effluents has gotten a lot of attention. The metal tolerant fungal isolates were isolated from the selected polluted sites and screened for their tolerance indices and minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC). The fungal isolate possessing highest tolerance and MIC was identified as Aspergillus niger was further used as a biosorbent to remove hexavalent chromium ions Cr(VI) in this investigation. From the present study, pH 6.0, temperature of 35°C and contact time of 120 minute showed highest removal of 78.8 percent from the aqueous metal solution containing chromium concentration of 150mg/L. The current study discovered that fungus from metal-polluted locations have better metal tolerance and biosorption effectiveness, and hence might be used for heavy metal biosorption.
- Sarkar, S., & Gupta, A. (2003)., Treatment of chrome plating wastewater (Cr+6) using activated alumina., Indian journal of environmental health, 45(1), 73-82.
- Park, D., Yun, Y.S., & Park, J.M. (2005)., Use of Dead Fungal Biomass for the Detoxification of Hexavalent Chromium: Screening and Kinetics., Process Biochem., 40, 2559–2565.
- Rahman, A., Nahar, N., Nawani, N. N., Jass, J., Hossain, K., Saud, Z. A., ... & Mandal, A. (2015)., Bioremediation of hexavalent chromium (VI) by a soil-borne bacterium, Enterobacter cloacae B2-DHA., Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A, 50(11), 1136-1147.
- Sen, M., & Dastidar, M. G. (2010)., Chromium removal using various biosorbents., Journal of Environmental Health Science & Engineering., 7(3), 182–190.
- Mukhopadhyay, M., Noronha S. B. & Suraishkumar, G.K. (2011)., A review on experimental studies of biosorption of heavy metals by Aspergillus niger., Canad. J. Chem. Engi., 89(4), 889-900.
- Liu, T., H.D. Li & Deng, L. (2007)., Removal of hexavalent chromium by fungal biomass of Mucor racemosus: influencing factors and removal mechanism., World J. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 23(12), 1685-1693.
- Luo, J., Xiao X., & Luo, S.L. (2010)., Biosorption of cadmium (II) from aqueous solutions by industrial fungus Rhizopus cohnii., Transactions of Non ferrous metals society of china., 20, 1104-1111.
- Bibi L.S., Hussain A., Humayun, M., Rahman H., Iqbal A., & Shah, M. (2018)., Bioremediation of hexavalent chromium by endophytic fungi; safe and improved products of Lactuca sativa., Chemosphere, 211, 6653-6663.
- Jazmin Legorreta-Castaneda, A., Alexander Lucho-Constantino, C., Icela Beltran-Hernandez, R., Coronel-Olivares, C., & Vazquez-Rodriguez, G. A. (2020)., Biosorption of water pollutants by fungal pellets., Water, 12(4), 1155. https://doi.org/ 10.3390/ w12041155
- Bhattacharya, A., Gupta, A., Kaur, A. & Malik, D. (2019)., Alleviation of hexavalent chromium by using microorganisms: insight into the strategies and complications., Water Science and Technology, 79(3), 411–424.
- Pun, R., Raut, P., & Pant, B. R. (2013)., Removal of chromium (VI) from leachate using bacterial biomass., Scientific World, 11(11), 63–65.
- Smily J.R.M.B., & Sumithra P.A. (2017)., Optimization of chromium biosorption by fungal biosorbent, Trichoderma sp. BSCR02 and its Desorption studies., HAYATI Journal of Biosciences, 24(2), 65-71.
- Tahir, A., Abdel-Megeed, A., & Zahid, S. (2014)., Temperature and ph kinetics for enhanced biosorption of cr (vi) by highly chromium resistant fungi gliocladium spp. ZIC2063., Pak. J. Bot, 46(6), 2285-2292.
- Shamim, S. (2018)., Biosorption of heavy metals., Biosorption, 2, 21-49. DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.72099
- Jobby, R., Jha, P., Gupta, A., Gupte, A., & Desai, N. (2019)., Biotransformation of chromium by root nodule bacteria Sinorhizobium sp. SAR1., PLoS One., 14(7), Article ID e0219387.
- Garg, S. K., Tripathi, M., & Srinath, T. (2012)., Strategies for chromium bioremediation of tannery effluent., reviews of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology., 217, 75-140.
- Ali Redha A (2020)., Removal of heavy metals from aqueous media by biosorption., Arab Journal of basic and applied sciences, 27(1), 183-193.
- Ayele, A., & Godeto, Y.G., (2021)., Bioremediation of Chromium by Microorganisms and Its Mechanisms Related to Functional Groups., Journal of Chemistry, Article ID 7694157, 21 pages.