Uncommon phenomenon of fired copper jacketed bullet: A case study
- 1Directorate of Forensic Science Laboratories, Kalina, Santacruz (E), Mumbai-400098, India
- 2Directorate of Forensic Science Laboratories, Kalina, Santacruz (E), Mumbai-400098, India
- 3Directorate of Forensic Science Laboratories, Kalina, Santacruz (E), Mumbai-400098, India
- 4Directorate of Forensic Science Laboratories, Kalina, Santacruz (E), Mumbai-400098, India
Res. J. Forensic Sci., Volume 5, Issue (2), Pages 1-3, October,29 (2017)
In India, cases related to the firearms are increasing significantly and now this rise is about 60-70%. In Ballistic division of directorate of forensic science laboratories, Mumbai around one thousand cases are deposited every year in which firearms are used. In one of such case, standard 9 mm calibre pistol, copper jacket having rifling marks and lead core were received in laboratory. Initially both copper jacket and lead core appears to be two different projectiles and fired from different weapons. During the comparison of copper jacket and lead core, it was observed that lead core perfectly seats inside the copper jacket of bullet, it means that copper jacket and lead core are the parts of single bullet and fired from single weapon.
- Lee H.C. and Meng H.H. (2012)., The identification of the unusual types of handmade ammunition., J Foren Sci, 57(4), 1102.
- Berendes A., Neimke D., Schumacher R. and Barth M. (2006)., A Versatile Technique for the Investigation of Gunshot Residue Patterns on Fabrics and Other Surfaces: m‐XRF., Journal of forensic sciences, 51(5), 1085-1090.
- Blakey L.S., Sharples G.P., Chana K. and Birkett J.W. (2017)., Fate and Behavior of Gunshot Residue—A Review., Journal of forensic sciences.
- Basu S. (1982)., Formation of gunshot residues., J Foren Sci, 27(1), 72-91.
- Basu S., Boone C., Denio D.J. and Miazga R.A. (1997)., Fundamental studies of gunshot residues deposition by glue lift., J Foren Sci, 42(4), 571-581.
- Andrasko J. and Petterson S. (1991)., A simple method for collection of gunshot residues from clothing., Journal of the Forensic Science society, 31(3), 321-330.
- Fojtasek L. and Kmjee T. (2005)., Time period of gunshot residues particles deposition after discharge-final results., Forensic Science International, 153(2), 132-135.
- Zuzanna B. (2007)., Comparison of cartridge case and airborne gunshot residues- A study of elemental composition and morphology by means of SEM-EDX., J Foren Sci, 36(6), 398-407.
- Burrard G. (1956)., The identificationof firearms and forensic ballistics., Herbert Jenkins, London.
- Heard B.J. (2011)., Handbook of firearms and ballistics: examining and interpreting forensic evidence., 1. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN:9780470694602
- Corrado F., Antonoi P. and Giuseppe G. (1992)., Ballistic injury on cartridge cases ejected from weapons with delayed blowback action., Forensic Science International, 55(1), 5.