A study of the change in the time and energy expenditure of home maker during lockdown due to Covid-19 Pandemic
- 1Home Science, Govt. M.L.B. P.G. Girls College, Kila Bhavan, Indore, M.P., India
- 2Home Science, Govt. M.L.B. P.G. Girls College, Kila Bhavan, Indore, M.P., India
Res. J. Family, Community and Consumer Sci., Volume 9, Issue (1), Pages 1-3, January,27 (2021)
The Covid pandemic has imposed an unforeseen, sudden lockdown on the families of most of the cities. This situation has forced all the members of the family to stay together at home. In this condition the demand of time and energy of the homemaker has increased. The social distancing norms have forced the families to discontinue the paid help from the maids as a result the housewives or homemakers workload has increased. This study is an effort to find out how this situation has changed the time and energy expenditure of the families. Questionnaire was prepared in the Google form by the researchers for this study. Convenient sampling method was used as the questionnaire was sent to homemakers through whatsapp groups. Results revealed that 63% homemakers feel that the time spent on household activities has increased by 40% or more. Nearly 50%homemakers reported that their energy expenditure has increased by 50% or more. Nearly 68.5% housewives reported that they are getting more time to take rest or to do leisure time activities. 68.6% homemakers reported that their time spent on mobile phones has increased.
- Balakrishnan Rekha, Gowthaman Nirandhin and Norzom Tenzin (2020)., How homemakers are coping with extra work and keeping families positive amid coronavirus., https://yourstory.com/herstory/2020/03/women-homemakers-extra-work-positivity-covid19-coronavirus
- News (2020)., Coronavirus in India: Did men do more housework during lockdown?., Published August 12, 2020. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-53750633
- Salla Saipriya (2020)., Increased Domestic Workload, Lack of Peer Network: How Covid-19 Affects Women Entrepreneurs?., News 18 BUZZ, July 21, 2020.