Gender differences in the rural families regarding the decision making, access and control over assets – a review
- 1Dept. of RMCS, College of Home Science, Saifabad, Hyderabad, Telangana, India
- 2Dept. of RMCS, College of Home Science, Saifabad, Hyderabad, Telangana, India
Res. J. Family, Community and Consumer Sci., Volume 5, Issue (7), Pages 1-6, September,27 (2017)
Gender differences in decision-making, and asset ownership, control and access is a common phenomenon in developing countries like India. These differences are influenced by different factors like ethnicity, culture and geographical location and ancestral values. In rural families, these differences are mostly seen. Though women participated in different activities at the household and occupational level equally to men, their decisions are not taken into consideration. The assets also are majorly owned by men. Therefore, measures can be taken up to encourage and empower women so that they will be given an equal chance in decision making practices in household and occupational activities. Asset ownership, increasing access and access towards them will also help the women in getting empowered and this can finally lead to gender equality.
- Sadaf T. and Siegmann K.A. (2004)., Gendered access to livelihood assets and the resulting workload for women and men in North-West Frontier Province (NWFP) in Pakistan., Paper presented at Seventh Sustainable Development Conference, 1-10.
- Dick M.R., Johnson N.R., Quisumbing A., Njuki J., Behrman J., Rubin D., Peterman A. and Waitanji E. (2011)., Gender, assets, and agricultural development programs: a conceptual framework., Capri Working Paper No. 99. International Food Policy Research Institute: Washington, DC.
- Agarwal B. (2001)., Land rights and gender equality., Yojana, 45, 32-42.
- Arora A. (2006)., Inter gender access to and control of productive resources among rural families in Faridabad district of Harayana (Unpublished M.Sc. Thesis)., CCS HAU, Hisar.
- Puri S. (2002)., Analysis of gender perception and difference in rural Haryana (Unpublished M.Sc. Thesis)., CCS HAU, Haryana.
- Paris T., Pede V., Luis J., Sharma R., Singh A and Estipular J. (2009)., Gender, caste, and asset control: implications for agricultural projects in rice-wheat systems of eastern India., GAAP note.
- Grace J. (2005)., Rural women’s access to land and livestock., Badakhshan, Bamyan and Kabul Provinces, Afghanistan Researchand Evaluation Unit Report, 21-25.
- Antonopoulos R. and Floro M.S. (2005)., Asset ownership along gender lines: evidence from Thailand., Gender, Equality, and the Economy Working Paper 418. Annandale-on-Hudson, NY: Levy Economics Institute, 215-220.
- Kristjanson P., Waters-Bayer A., Johnson N., Tipilda A., Njuki J., Baltenweck I., Grace D. and Macmillan S. (2010)., Livestock and women’s livelihoods: a review of the recent evidence., Nairobi, Kenya, ILRI, 47-49.
- Jacobs K., Namy S., Aslihan K., Bob U. and Vadivelu M. (2011)., Gendered assessment of men’s and women’s rights over assets including ownership, documentation and control over use, transfer and transactions in Uganda and South Africa., Gender, Agriculture, & Assets Project. The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), 3(1), 103-110.
- Raney T. (2011)., State of Food and Agriculture (SOFA) Team., Gender differences in assets. Food and agriculture organization of the United Nations.Agriculture and Economic Development Analysis Division (ESA), 11-12.
- Swaminathan H., Lahoti R. and Suchitra J.Y. (2011)., Individual asset holding patterns: district level estimates from Karnataka., Paper presented at the XXI Annual Conference on Contemporary Issues in Development Economics, Department of Economics, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India. December 2011.
- Doss C., Carmen D.D., Abena D., Oduro and Suchitra J.Y. (2012)., The rural gender asset and wealth gaps: evidence from Ghana, Ecuador, Uganda and Karnataka, India. Bangalore., Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, 14-18.
- Njuki J., Behrman J., Rubin D., Peterman A., Dick M.R., Johnson N.R., Quisumbing A. and Waitanji E. (2011)., Gender, assets, and agricultural development programs: a conceptual framework., Capri Working Paper No. 99. International Food Policy Research Institute: Washington, DC.
- Kumari U. and Singh I. (2004)., Rural development and women empowerment., Kurukshetra, 55(5), 3-8.
- Nyukuri E. (2006)., Women, Land, and Resource Conflicts. Policy implications and interventions in Kenya., http://www.acts.or.ke/dmdocuments/genderbook.pdf. 2014.
- Bansal S. (2004)., Study on gender analysis of access to land and decision-making pattern., (Unpublished M.Sc. Thesis). CCS, HAU, Hisar.
- Lu J.L. (2007)., Gender differentiation among farmers in the agricultural sector in Benguet, Philippines., Journal of International Women
- Nosheen F., Ali T., Ahmad M. and Nawaz H. (2008)., Exploring the gender involvement in agricultural decision making: a case study of district Chakwal., Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 45(3), 101-106.
- Pawar P.B., Bhatt M.R. and Pandya D.R. (2010)., Role of men and women in decision making process in paddy and sugarcane cultivation., Gujarat Journal of Extension Education, 21(2), 86-90.
- Singh B. and Srivastava S. (2011)., Gender differentials in performance of farm and non-farm activities., Indian Research Journal of Extension Education, 2(1), 29-32.
- Chayal K., Dhaka B.L., Poonia M.K., Tyagi S.V.S. and Verma S.R. (2013)., Involvement of farm women in decision making in agriculture., Kamla-Raj Publications, 7(1), 35-37.
- Tsegaye D., Dessalegn T., Yimam A. and Minilek K. (2012)., Extent of rural women participation and decision making in seed production activities., Global Advanced Research Journal of Agricultural Science, 1(7), 186-190.
- Sikod F. (2007)., Gender division of labour and women’s decision-making power in rural households in Cameroon., Africa Development Journal, 32(3), 58-71.
- Bala Madhur and Monga O.P. (2004)., Impact of women’s employment on decision making in families., Journal of Social Welfare, 51(5), 13-16.
- Njuki J., Behrman J., Rubin D., Peterman A., Dick M.R., Johnson N.R., Quisumbing A. and Waitanji E. (2013)., Gender, assets, and agricultural development programs: a conceptual framework., Capri Working Paper No. 99. International Food Policy Research Institute: Washington, DC.
- Suradkar D.D., Raut V.D., Supriya Deshpande K. and Raut D.D. (2013)., Decision making style of farm women: a critical analysis., Journal of Agricultural Extension Management.
- Das G. (2012)., Autonomy and decision-making role of tribal women: a case study of Santoshpur village in Sundergarh district of Odisha., (Unpublished M.A. Thesis). National Institute of Technology, Rourkela.